Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my day rots so far...

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Marlene, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    well, I haven't made a costly mistake in years but when I make one, it is a good one! doing a reface of an existing sign. had the old specs on hand. the size was 5' 1 3/4" by 7' 2 3/4" when I looked at it I saw the 5', converted to inches and added it so it was 61.75". when I looked at the 7' 2 3/4", I saw 72" and added the .75.......uggggggggggg. the sign was suppose to be 86.75" not 72.75". of course, they were PMS matched colors so new faces are big time cost....why or why can't I just spell a word wrong on a little sign????? no, I've got to screw up an expensive set of sign faces.......I have such a migraine.....

Tags:
  2. Just Another Sign Guy

Just Another Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    hang in there ... keep your chin up ... all that other positive stuff ... anyone who's been at this long enough has done something similar at some point in their career it will be behind you before you know it.

3. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Marlene even if I called a singing telegram service and had a dancing Spock come and croon "Tiptoe Thru The Tulips" to you in a high falsetto it couldn't make your day any better.
    :(
    Love....Jill

4. GypsyGraphics

GypsyGraphics Major Contributor

Mar 19, 2009
    awwww... i'm sorry marlene... can i offer you some chocolate?

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Ouch !!

Another justification to add to my list of reasons to start drinking............ what time is it ??

6. lordmash

lordmash New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    They Come in Threes:banghead:

7. BobM

BobM Very Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Cape Cod
    Now that it's been so bad, your day can only get better........:thumb:

8. Rodi

Rodi Very Active Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Sorry to hear that Marlene!

9. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    thanks for all the cyber comforting, I really needed it!!! way back, I spelled "Strictly" "Strickly" on a sign for a bridge that was falling down. the local paper took a big colored photo of it and put it on the front page of the Vermont section...at least that was cheap to fix even if it was sent out for the whole state to see!

10. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

It seems like I do that about every other time I've ever ordered reel-cut polycarb or pan faces. At one time I had about a half-dozen big pieces of miscut pieces of plastic sitting around here. Ugh.

11. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    Measure twice, cut once.

Reminds me of the joke about the Ukrainian carpenter. Sitting there scratching his head and mumbling obscenities under his breath. His buddy walks up and asks him what's up, he turns around and says "I don't know what's wrong with these stupid plans. I've cut this stupid board four times now and it's still too short".

12. Brandon708

Brandon708 Very Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    tough break.

I don't mix feet and inches when I write them down. I just use inches when I list it. Try doing this it might save your but in the future.

13. MachServTech

MachServTech Very Active Member

Sep 19, 2008
    North Carolina
    I know a shop that wrapped the wrong tractor trailer this week...with digital printed 3M reflective.

That's just rotten luck!
    Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket, cant stay bad forever!.....you have a lot of good karma headed your way :)

14. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Dang, that stings...
    I had one published in the paper too, Mispelled a banner for a Literacy Event

15. surf city

surf city Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Toms River, NJ
    Sorry ya had a bad day Marlene.

16. cdiesel

cdiesel Very Active Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    We had literally the same situation a couple weeks ago. All of the measurements on a survey were in inches.. except one. It said 9 8 1/2. It was read as 98 1/2". It was supposed to be 9' 8 1/2". Doh! Only lost about a grand on that one...