Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first hanging sign

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Stirling, May 30, 2008.

1. Stirling

Stirling New Member

May 29, 2008
    I'm hanging a sign, approx. 4' x 4', and am uneasy about failure due to wind(its a windy area). I'm leaning towards eye screws in 3/4" MDO, or eye screws in dowels and then inserted with epoxy in HDU(to keep the weight down). I Would like advice on the safest route for such a large sign(the client may want me to go even larger). Thanx.

Tags:
  2. jscarl

jscarl Very Active Member

Apr 21, 2003
    :Welcome: to:signs101:

3. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Look into MDO hangers.
    Most suppliers carry them.

4. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Howdee from VA...........

You need some brackets that bolt to the MDO and then attach to the eye bolts......

Signwearhouse has them.......

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    If you get all the advise you can get here, and still don't feel good about it, I'd sub it out to someone who knows more about it, and let it be their problem. (As long as they are insured!)

6. N2Harpz

N2Harpz Very Active Member

Dec 3, 2006
  7. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    depending on where you're hanging it....i try to attach a chain towards the bottom of the sign and the off to a wall or post...this way if it's windy, the sign won't swing around too much

8. I agree with Kraig....get a professional to hang it...nothing worse than being liable.

9. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    No, you can't just put eyescrews into the top of the sign. You need something that will be bolted thru the sign face. And the hanging bracket needs to be just as sturdy. This is a case where over-building is in your best interest.
    Ken

10. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

Welcome to the forum.......MDO hangers.

11. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I want everyone to remember this post, cause I don't see this too often! :biggrin: