• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My First HDU Sign

Billct2

Yea, we quit using MDO or any wood based panel as a backer years ago.
No matter what the prep, they always rotted away.
But he did say it was capped with .040 so it should be fine.

CanuckSigns

I don't deal with HDU or dimensional signs much but do know that the stuff isn't cheap. Build in all the setup, routing time, painting/finishing, welding, install, permit application (assuming it is required in your state) and you've easily got 10 hours into the job.

I would guess it should be at least $1500 but that's just a shot in the dark.

Hopefully you can get some insight from members that deal with these types of signs more.

I would say more, HDU isn't cheap, plus it's very labour intensive to finish, If we were doing that sign the way you did it, including the welding and install, we would be closer to $3000, of course we would never get the job at that price because it's the wrong materials, I would have gone with a sheet of max metal and cut the lettering from black and blue acrylic on our laser, my material cost would be 1/3 of yours and I have no painting or finishing to do, the 2 signs would look absolutly identical from the ground.

The Hobbyist

minimum $2500 + permitting and install

:ROFLMAO: You Californians! gotta love ya!

The customer handled the "permit." He called city hall and said, "Bobby, I'm puttin' up a sign out yonder. Uh huh ... 4 x 8. 'Bout twelve feet. Right. Okay, thanks!"

Permit recorded.

God Bless Kentucky! :Big Laugh

The Hobbyist

what kind and what thickness plywood? did you prime and paint it or is it just bare wood?

1/2" plywood, outdoor grade. Not primed. However, the plywood and the HDU are snug in the channel on all four sides, with horizontal and vertical expansion room. I don't think it will be a problem. :covereyes:

The Hobbyist

Yes. Kentucky gets humid in the summer months.

If the faces fail, I will just make him some new ones out of another material, like Dibond or PVC sheets or vinyl on plexiglass. Or maybe I'll cut sign faces out of steel with my plasma table and have them powder coated, and back them with colored plex.

The purpose of THIS sign at THIS time was to get SOMETHING up by the deadline, have something nicer than the plywood and coroplast signs that are all up and down the same street, go through the exercise of doing a real project in my home "hobby" shop as a one-man show, carving HDU for the first time, and doing a favor for a good friend.

Across the street are vinyl on coroplast signs screwed directly to the asphalt shingles with wood screws and fender washers. :covereyes:

So the cost of the materials, the labor involved, the price he paid ... none of that came into play here. He WAS going to have someone hand paint a sign on two sheets of plywood with a paint brush, and hang a wooden frame around the pole. So I think I topped that, at the very least :Big Laugh