• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My Latex Colors Look Like $h*t

HulkSmash

Flexi blows. Especially with the Latex. Flexi lays down about 30% too much ink compared to other rips like Caldera.

Even with that. Reds are hard to hit. You have to add a bit of pink to it to make it print a good red. I can send you some swatches Monday.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
We always print CMYK - And we aren't having issues with the black.
Also, we print a standard 8 pass on everything. We tried 10 pass for red and got the same results..
I shouldnt have to DUMP a **** ton of ink on there to get a normal red color..

Always? Big mistake. Bitmaps are far better done in RGB and let the RIP sort it out. It can do a much better job that any other software you own. For vectors, gradients, etc CMYK is the better choice but for not bitmaps.

Just how are your rendering intents set? Proper rendering intents can make all the difference.

Brands Imaging

Always? Big mistake. Bitmaps are far better done in RGB and let the RIP sort it out. It can do a much better job that any other software you own. For vectors, gradients, etc CMYK is the better choice but for not bitmaps.

Just how are your rendering intents set? Proper rendering intents can make all the difference.

Makes sense about the RGB/CMYK breakdown but if we're printing bitmap with vector background doesn't that cause a conflict? We have printed RGB in the past trying to push colors with good results

Brands Imaging

I guess my real question is how do I dig into the profiles? How do I make these custom profile? Is this something that I should contact flex he about and see how I can do this through the RIP software? Or is this something that I should be discussing with HP?

dypinc

Really come on now. If you can post on here you can certainly look Flexi's help up on creating profiles.

http://fxhelp-en.saicloud.com/

I has been years since I used Flexi but as I recall it was fairly easy to create the Linearization, Ink Limiting and Profiles.

The biggest thing to learn about Latex is that if you lay down too much ink it will look like $h*t. There is a fine line between too much and not enough ink. It will probably take some trial and error before you get a handle on it.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Makes sense about the RGB/CMYK breakdown but if we're printing bitmap with vector background doesn't that cause a conflict? We have printed RGB in the past trying to push colors with good results

Rendering intents specify to the RIP how to handle specific object types. You can mix and match different types for different objects.The RIP sorts it out and it does it far better than anything else you might bring to bear on the problem. Regardless of what your average buck profilista says, all you need is one or maybe two good profiles. I've been printing lo these many years and I have exactly two, count 'em two, profiles and I can't remember the last time I used the second one. They're both variations of Oracal's 3561G stock profile. I print on every media imaginable, and probably some not so imaginable, using just one of the two with never, as in ever, a problem hitting some specific color or another.

You set your rendering intents for bitmaps to "Perceptual" and set the rest of the rendering intents to whatever tickles your fancy. Setting the rest of them to "No Color Correction" or, failing that, "Saturation" is never a bad idea but you might want to print a Pantone chart with that rendering intent just to see exactly what you're going to get color-wise. Never forget, and I grow weary of saying it as well, what comes out of the printer is the truth. Repeat that as many times as necessary so that it's burned indelibly into your brain. What's on your monitor or a stack of Pantone color samples or any thing else is not the truth. Not by a long shot.

One last note; RGB bitmaps with a 'Perceptual' rendering intent print so well, genuine what you see is what you get, that I never hesitate to flatten something into an RGB jpg file and bring it directly into Production Manager. Very seldom do I print out of Flexi unless I'm doing a contour cut. Then, most likely, I'll export out of whatever, usually Corel, into a PDF with just the contour cut path as a vector object and everything else flattened into an RGB bitmap with 'RGB specified for the PDF then, in Flexi, mark the cut path at a contour cut by selecting the path, then doing Arrange->Contour Cut->Make Contour Cut. Almost always you have to ungroup and unmask everything and then delete the then useless black mask rectangle. Or just bring in the bitmap and create the contour in Flexi Just depends on the job and how I happen to feel at the moment.

Signarama_joey

looking for a good profile for FORWARD banner for the l25500 ha latex

anyone who can help me with a suggestion for a good profile for FORWARD banner for the l25500 ha latex printer. im using flexi 10 PC.

Brands Imaging

okay -

So to regroup on everything here is what happened.
I called HP and told them what was happening and they sent a tech out. Our firmware was up to date but not really. They had a beta version of a firmware update and they put in into my machine
and BAM! We got red!!

Now if I could only get solid colors to not print banded I'd be in good shape!

greysquirrel

We always print CMYK - And we aren't having issues with the black.
Also, we print a standard 8 pass on everything. We tried 10 pass for red and got the same results..
I shouldnt have to DUMP a **** ton of ink on there to get a normal red color..

what rip are you using? what version printer? I always print from RGB source...no color issues with l110 and onyx postershop..you can use all profiles that where created for the 300 series!

Davo

We primarily print using 6 pass on the L360 and we can hit a nice red, not as good as solvent but up there with coke red. When using 10pass and 120% ink the reds are brilliant, but to be expected from a 10pass print.

The new firmware has significantly improved magenta printhead life but the reds are just as good as they were. Saying this I personally profile each media myself on the machine and never use the HP or Avery profiles etc..

dypinc

We primarily print using 6 pass on the L360 and we can hit a nice red, not as good as solvent but up there with coke red. When using 10pass and 120% ink the reds are brilliant, but to be expected from a 10pass print.

The new firmware has significantly improved magenta printhead life but the reds are just as good as they were. Saying this I personally profile each media myself on the machine and never use the HP or Avery profiles etc..

So even with the new firmware HP still has not given us more ink density with 8 and 6 pass?

On 6 pass are using just CMYK and setting the OP as low as possible?

Davo

So even with the new firmware HP still has not given us more ink density with 8 and 6 pass?

On 6 pass are using just CMYK and setting the OP as low as possible?

I haven't had a chance to re profile on the new firmware yet, but I believe that HP still has not given more ink density in 6 and 8 pass since the tech didn't mention this, the firmware is still in beta.

Yes we are using CMYK and setting the OP a little higher to 20% from the default 12%, otherwise I find the print can be very grainy on some images.

It's all about making a custom profile. You'll need to purchase an XRite i1 to read color charts. All RIPs are different on how you make the icc profile for your printer. Onyx 12 has s nice wizard based system. If I were you I would also profile your printer to the G7 specification while your at it. www.idealliance.com

I have an HP 310 and the prints are fantastic

It's all about making a custom profile. You'll need to purchase an XRite i1 to read color charts. All RIPs are different on how you make the icc profile for your printer. Onyx 12 has s nice wizard based system. If I were you I would also profile your printer to the G7 specification while your at it. www.idealliance.com

I have an HP 310 and the prints are fantastic

Are you a G7 Master Qualified Facility?

I work full time for a commercial offset printer in WI and there I'm responsible for making everything G7 (Epson proofers, Printing presses and calibrated monitor proofing). We are G7 Master printer.

We started our sign business back in 2009 as a side project. My wife runs it during the day and then I work at night. So I have all of our wide format machines profiled to G7. Our sign shop is not G7 Master just because I don't want to pay for the certification -- but if I needed to it would pass.