• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My Motorhome...

Arlo Kalon 2.0

A few people have PM'd me and emailed wanting to see pics of the motorhome I recently acquired. It's 24 years old but looks closer to ten - it was well cared for. I recently found a paper inside it with the name and phone number of the original owner down in Austin. I called to ask if the 68,000 miles shown had turned over once and was actually 168,000. I was surprised to learn that at 60,000 miles the Chevy 350 engine was replaced with a much newer motor that was rebuilt and only had 8,000 miles on it. I also learned it had a new water heater, the Onan generator was rebuilt recently, it had new shocks and six new tires, and the cabin heater was new as well. He had been fixing it up to get several more years usage out of it when he found a deal on a newer one he couldn't pass up. He sold this one to cover the amount of his recent expenses - $7,500.00. It has passed through two hands since that time two years ago and I got it from a guy who was overwhelmed witha few problems it had and felt the need to unload it. I paid $4,000 for it. I've since learned he didn't even know about the new motor. The problems he was faced with was the outside auxiliary shower at the rear leaked badly when the water hose was connected to the camper and there had been a leak at the window seal in the sleeping area above the cab. Years ago I totally rehabbed an old travel trailer and had no problem fixing these issues. One neat thing about it is it has an apartment size refrigerator in it - much larger than the original. It also has a four burner stove with a big oven, microwave and big stand up shower in the bathroom. Anyway, for the curious here are the pics. It performed like a champ on our five hour shakedown cruise to my oldest son's house for Thanksgiving. It feels kind of cool to only be 58 and retired already with a motorhome. We'll keep it a few years then sell it and upgrade to a larger one - providing gas isn't over six bucks a gallon by then!

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 60

OldPaint

i came to florida in jan 1981..........with only this. THE HONEY!!! the one in the background, not the foreground)))))))) that one i still have))))))) oh and this pic was 1982..........shes 28 years older!!!! and white stuff is not snow.....its sand))))))

Attachments

• HENNIE1985.jpg
    HENNIE1985.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 68

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
That looks good, all you need now is someone to wrap it for you......

wayne k
guam usa

btropical.com

Cool deal ! get a cheap beater car to tow just get around maybe bicycles or golf cart and go eXplore . We have a school bus we got at auction put shower and a toilet . wE HAve larger dogs and wow can they enjoy some skoolie.net if you need some window tint hit me up with the sizes !!

John L

Very cool Arlo. It's relatively easy to find a MH with low miles. Most people buy these and drive them a couple times over the course of a year (just like a boat). There are tons of lightly lived and even more lightly driven units in good times and bad. I sold a 2004 model Mandalay 42' diesel pusher just before the fuel spike a few years ago. But we didnt make it a month before we bought it's replacement.. a 2005 28' R-Vision gas unit. I'd rather sleep in my car than a hotel. Congrats on your "new to you" coach.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Very cool Arlo. It's relatively easy to find a MH with low miles. Most people buy these and drive them a couple times over the course of a year (just like a boat). There are tons of lightly lived and even more lightly driven units in good times and bad. I sold a 2004 model Mandalay 42' diesel pusher just before the fuel spike a few years ago. But we didnt make it a month before we bought it's replacement.. a 2005 28' R-Vision gas unit. I'd rather sleep in my car than a hotel. Congrats on your "new to you" coach.

Like I said, the guy I bought it from was just overwhelmed with the few problems it had - which as it turned out were minor fixes for me. I called him to ask him if he wanted the fish scoop net pole back I found in the underneath storage. During the conversation I asked him if he was aware there were only 8,000 miles on a replacement motor. He said "you're kidding me!". He said his wife was mad at him from the day he bought it off a coworker and didn't like the room it took up in their driveway. As Dave Drane can tell you, I have plenty of driveway space so this won't have to go to a storage lot. After the conversation with the original owner, I realized I have something I can get a few years of reliability out of and probably sell for the same I paid for it. I've been looking at newer class A models and you are right about how people simply don't put many miles on them. I too much prefer living in my own accomodations on the road. My wife pointed out the gas cost for our ten hour round trip and I said yes, but consider the fact that we didn't have a motel expense and three times we pulled off the road and ate out of our own refrigerator instead of at a restaurant. We were money ahead on the trip. Do you know anything about the Walmart policy of allowing motorhomes overnight in their parking lots? I'm wondering if it's a store by store decision or a company wide policy? We have one Walmart up the road where you frequently see a motorhome obviously set up for an overnight stay. That would save a lot of money on campground charges right there.

John L

Arlo, Unless it's changed, It used to be that Walmart had no "official" statement on the matter at all. We have parked at Walmarts all over the nation, bought our groceries and other items, and just remained parked for the night.

They do have many locations that have parking lots marked "no overnight parking" at the entrance or perimeter of the lot. I'm sure this is because of local zoning ordinances, complaints, risks, obnoxious abusers, etc. You will also notice these signs at locations near popular vacation spots, beaches, etc. Although I dont get how this would ever be enforced (except for the most exceptional idiots), we always just pass by these locations out of respect. Honestly with the drapes pulled they dont know if you are shopping, sleeping, or ? in there. We've never been asked by management to not stay and we just recipricate the respect.

Most folks are respectfull of a good thing but I have seen others with their slide-outs extended, leveling jacks down, awnings out, drinking, littering, extended stays, and even a lit barbeque in Walmart parking lots over the years. This is all obviously just tacky as hell and will most likely eventually ruin it for all of us.

I remember the first time I ever stopped at a Walmart. I drove till real late and the next morning my little girl (2 or 3 years old at the time) exclaimed "Wow! That's so cool Daddy! - We are living at Walmart!"

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Arlo, Unless it's changed, It used to be that Walmart had no "official" statement on the matter at all. We have parked at Walmarts all over the nation, bought our groceries and other items, and just remained parked for the night.

They do have many locations that have parking lots marked "no overnight parking" at the entrance or perimeter of the lot. I'm sure this is because of local zoning ordinances, complaints, risks, obnoxious abusers, etc. You will also notice these signs at locations near popular vacation spots, beaches, etc. Although I dont get how this would ever be enforced (except for the most exceptional idiots), we always just pass by these locations out of respect. Honestly with the drapes pulled they dont know if you are shopping, sleeping, or ? in there. We've never been asked by management to not stay and we just recipricate the respect.

Most folks are respectfull of a good thing but I have seen others with their slide-outs extended, leveling jacks down, awnings out, drinking, littering, extended stays, and even a lit barbeque in Walmart parking lots over the years. This is all obviously just tacky as hell and will most likely eventually ruin it for all of us.

I remember the first time I ever stopped at a Walmart. I drove till real late and the next morning my little girl (2 or 3 years old at the time) exclaimed "Wow! That's so cool Daddy! - We are living at Walmart!"

yeah, isn't that how it always goes? The idiots always ruin it for everybody else. I just did a search and was amazed at all the free places along the road there are to stay at. With the exception of a trip in the spring to meet my uncle halfway from North Carolina (he bought his first motorhome two weeks after I did), most of our travels will be in Texas. I learned rest stops are okay for overnight stays. Man, I am going to save a fortune in overnight camping fees! I was amazed at how many nationwide truck stop chains welcome RV's for free, and even Cracker Barrel restaurants. Too bad winter is here - I'm ready to hit the road!

CheapVehicleWrap

We use my class a regularly and I have 11 others at my disposal if the party gets wild. Allot of towns override walmart. I assume dumping was a problem. My local wm property owner forbids them on the property even to shop during the day. 850$ ticket. Have fun.

Ken

Our old motorhome, which is very good for its age, mostly sits in the side yard and is very good for accomodating summer guests.
Ken

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Here is mine...
Mileage kinda sucks.

:smile:

As close to camping as I get.

Attachments

• Driveway a.jpg
    Driveway a.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 76
  • FarmNWa.jpg
    FarmNWa.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 83

Dave Drane

Hey Arlo, this is the best thing to happen to the nicest guy I have met. Get out on the road and enjoy every minute while you can... I'll pm you when I get a chance.