• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My new site built on Wordpress

Doyle

Before the bashing begins, I am NOT a web designer. I hate my previous website, and it is painful to update, so this time around I decided to use Wordpress as the base for my site. Through making my own template etc. I have come up with what I think is a workable solution. The site is not completely finished yet, but you get the idea.

I am thrilled at how easy it will be to update the site using Wordpress. If I want to, I can even edit the site or post a blog from my blackberry. This is the ideal setup for me. And when I want to change it around a bit, I can do it all from the Wordpress control panel.

http://www.artfxsign.com

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

tanneji

Looks great man! I'm working on one currently as well haha. How did you do the gallery? Looks great with the Lightbox look

noregrets

Lookin pretty good - my only advice would be that the white writing is quite hard on the eyes with the dotty background

Doyle

Lookin pretty good - my only advice would be that the white writing is quite hard on the eyes with the dotty background

I'm thinking the same thing, gotta go in and change the template, and go back and edit all the lines of code I removed in the style sheets to get it the way I want it, uggghh. Thanks!

mountaingraphic

great job..Glad to see someone could get wordpress to work for them.. I used it for awhile but got tired of doing alot of PHP editing to get it the way I wanted it so switched to a general template and started modding from their

Mosh

Looks good. There is an ArtFX here in Nebraska, pretty big place. Is it a francise deal?
Like 3 locations in Lincoln and Omaha. http://www.artfxscreenprinting.com/
BTW, I watched your screenprinting video, if you use like a 60 mesh screen with tiger white wilflex there is no need to print those fire shirts two times, drying beteen prints.Lots of time could be saved. Not trying to be a know it all, just trying to save you some $$$$!\

Doyle

Sign Boy: I've got somewhere between 15-20 hours in it right now, but that is mostly because I don't know what the hell I am doing and keep finding things that I want to change, probably could've had it done in 6-8 hours if I knew exactly what I wanted.

Mosh: We are an independent business, no franchise. Thanks for the tip on the screen printing, where do I buy that ink? And does it leave a really rough finish going through such a coarse mesh?

Mosh

http://www.midwestsign.com/
We have been using wilflex ink since 1988, no problems. They have lots of inks that only need one coat on dark colors. Tiger white, ahtlethic gold, a red I can't think of the name. All are formulated for one print cover on dark colors. Plus using 60 mesh screens, a real time saver. Hope I helped out.

Doyle

thanks Mosh, I'll give it a try...

Just changed a few things on the site... darker background behind text and larger font in both articles and menus. I think it's getting better.

Doyle

I used a program called Artisteer to customize my template. It probably doesn't give as much artistic freedom as some may desire, but I found it to have plenty of customization for what I needed. You don't really need to know any code unless you want to get into little details. I had to edit a couple of lines of code to get rid of the page header text, but after I have done it a few times, it is a breeze.

tomence

International Coatings or QCM inks try them they are the best especially for one stroke white ink. I prefer QCM over IC but they are both great inks.

G-Artist

A suggestion...on your map. Resave it with your location a bit more centered (make it higher) and lose the baloon.

Against the link: (www.LetsGoBanners.com), your site took quite a long time to load.

Typo - pull down menu - Business Cards Etc. needs a comma between cars and etc. and lose the caps on Etc. Ditto for the Digital Printing pull down. Actually using "Business Cards and more" has a nice ring to it as only you know what "etc." is.

One more - "We offer top-notch service, with an unmatched attention to design, quality, and detail.

Lose the comma here: "service, with". Ditto after "quality" as you have the conjunction "and" making it unecessary.

And good for you!!! I am trying to muster up the courage to build a site for a new company I am starting and have no clue to where to even start.

axgillette

I like what you have done over all to the site and wordpress. You cannot really even tell you are running wordpress in the background.

CMS, or blog systems like these are truly the way to go with site design. I mean sure you can have something really nice and pay for it, or take a while to get it done. But when you need an alternative and fast way to update and do things, then this is the way to go.

I have not gone through all of your site yet. But i will. So far the design and concept looks great.