• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

my print head keeps lifting the screens out of the capping station

gabagoo

I have had this repeating issue now for some time. I do not really understand how the screens actually stay in the caps and somehow the head occassionaly lifts them out and then they fall somehere...usually in that area where the wiper is housed.

Now normally I would not be to upset about this but this morning I received a call from my sister who starts 30 minutes before me and she was in a panic telling me that the printer was making all these weird sounds. I asked her to tell me what the digital readout said, and she replied something about the wiper.

I instructed her to go behind the printer and turn off the white main power button.

I came in started up the printer and within a few seconds it started this grinding sound. I looked and noticed that the head was not over the capping station and the wiper area was exposed and I could see what looked like a piece of metal sticking out of where the wiper slips in under the metal cover. Yup!!! my yellow screen had perfectly jammed in there sticking out 90 degrees and preventing the wiper from shutting all the way to allow the head to roll back into position.

A freak accident you might say, but I have no idea how long the head was stuck like that ( could have been over 12 hours) and now I have no magenta or yellow printing and about half of black and cyan, so it is having a nozzle wash.

I am sure my whole day will be a wash with continual cleanings until back to normal.

I just want to know how do these screens lock in position? I can see a little nub on the bottom and I have pushed them down but they dont seem to lock in.

any suggestions?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You might have an older capping station. Mimaki made a design change in their new capping stations that hold the screens better. I would check the bottom of your head to see if the head was damaged by the screens. Usually you will see scrape marks in the middle of the head. If this is the case some of your heads may be irreparably damaged. I would definitely recommend getting a new capping station. We have the OEM ones at solventinkjet.com.

anozira02

I am not sure which capping station your printer uses, but in my Cj-500 uses Dx2 print heads and the capping screen held by tinny little tabs which the screen slides under thus keeps the screen in place,, You may need to replace the capping sponge, or replace the capping station..

MikeD

replace the cap top for the newer version and they should stay in place. that used to drive me nuts!

MikePro

+1 to new caps. The new ones actually have a plastic rivot that keeps the screen from being removable. Worth the $$$ knowing that you'll never have to worry about your screens someday coming loose and dinging a print head.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The newer style capping station that retains the screens has to have been out for at least 3 or 4 years now. I put one on our JV3 that I sold about two and half years ago.