Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Roland was uncapped for as much as five days

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Jack Knight1979, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Jack Knight1979

Jack Knight1979 Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    The family and I took a vacation to Disney. I did a thorough manual cleaning and put it to sleep.

I get back last night around midnight. Stop into the shop and hear a beeping noise from the printer. I don't know when it happened but the printer went for an automated cleaning over the last week and faulted. I took the cover off and the worst possible scenario has happened. The caps were down, the carriage was past the wipers and uncapped for as much as a week.

Welcome back from vacation! That will be six thousand dollars please.

I pulled all the dampers and took a syringe full of flush through all the heads and got full recovery. I then did three medium cleanings and everything is fine. The Roland is running like nothing happened. I felt like I was kicked in the stomach when I saw the heads uncapped after a week long vacation. Thankfully all is well.

Moral of the story: Clean your printers then fully power them down. It's better to have them totally off and capped then to be beeping and uncapped for days on end.

Tags:
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Wow. Should run out and buy a lottery ticket.

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    That's nuts...sometimes stuff can take more abuse than you realize though. Sadly, you don't find that out till you are on the other side of it.

4. g&eprinting

g&eprinting Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Everett MA
    Nice save...

5. sfr table hockey

sfr table hockey Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Alberta
    I like the ending to that horror story. But... not sure if you will ever get those 5 years you lost off your life, back....

6. cha88

cha88 Member

May 14, 2010
    Watertown
    im leaving for 10-12 days next friday and ive been thinking about this for weeks now...doy ou think the best thing to do is power it off completly ?

7. Jack Knight1979

Jack Knight1979 Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    Before this happened I would have said no. You have to leave it on for cleaning cycles, but now, I say shut it off.

Unless you have someone there to check on it daily for faults, clean it very well and power it down. When you get back do a head soak a couple normal cleanings and you'll be fine.

I about died when I saw those heads exposed like that, just sitting there. The caps were all died up too. It was a horror show. It's a miracle that I was able to get them working again with little effort. I thought I was sunk.

8. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    the printer was pissed off that you didn't take him with to meet Mickey~~