• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My Roland was uncapped for as much as five days

Jack Knight1979

The family and I took a vacation to Disney. I did a thorough manual cleaning and put it to sleep.

I get back last night around midnight. Stop into the shop and hear a beeping noise from the printer. I don't know when it happened but the printer went for an automated cleaning over the last week and faulted. I took the cover off and the worst possible scenario has happened. The caps were down, the carriage was past the wipers and uncapped for as much as a week.

Welcome back from vacation! That will be six thousand dollars please.

I pulled all the dampers and took a syringe full of flush through all the heads and got full recovery. I then did three medium cleanings and everything is fine. The Roland is running like nothing happened. I felt like I was kicked in the stomach when I saw the heads uncapped after a week long vacation. Thankfully all is well.

Moral of the story: Clean your printers then fully power them down. It's better to have them totally off and capped then to be beeping and uncapped for days on end.

TheSnowman

That's nuts...sometimes stuff can take more abuse than you realize though. Sadly, you don't find that out till you are on the other side of it.

cha88

im leaving for 10-12 days next friday and ive been thinking about this for weeks now...doy ou think the best thing to do is power it off completly ?

Jack Knight1979

Before this happened I would have said no. You have to leave it on for cleaning cycles, but now, I say shut it off.

Unless you have someone there to check on it daily for faults, clean it very well and power it down. When you get back do a head soak a couple normal cleanings and you'll be fine.

I about died when I saw those heads exposed like that, just sitting there. The caps were all died up too. It was a horror show. It's a miracle that I was able to get them working again with little effort. I thought I was sunk.