• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My salesguy has gone rogue!

Monsterkidz

I recently let my outside sales rep go. It just wasn't working out. Anyway, I got a call today from a shop down the road from me. We do a lot of wholesale work for them and I consider the owner a friend and mentor. Apparently my ex-OSR was in there showing him our work order forms and other collateral we use and was also trying to explain our pricing structure to the owner. Lucky for me, he is dumb as dirt and didn't really pick up on too much in the short time he was here.

He was basically trying to convince my friend to hire him as an OSR and at the same time trying to blow up my pricing structure to the competition. There are 3 other sign shops in town. How do I contain the problem and do damage control.

Keep in mind this guy is kind of a crackhead for lack of better terms. We gave him the OSR job, because he was a local guy and was willing to go into the really bad areas that NO ONE markets. Any help, would be awesome and appreciated.

jscarl

Be care full what you say about him. Lawsuits can be very costly. Just let him go. They will wonder why you let him go.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
In case you didn't know... don't hire anyone as dumb as dirt or crackheads.

I don't know about New York, but in California, it is illegal for an employee to take sensitive material out of the office in an attempt to secure employment and/or starting a business. You might want to talk to an employment lawyer but if this guy is a noodle-head as you say, then I would not worry about it.

What I would worry about is your hiring practices.

BobM

Let the guy do what he's doing. He is only digging a hole for himself within the market. No one wants to be involved with a person who is trying to hurt a former employer because they recognize that they will be next when they have to fire him.

Monsterkidz

Haha thanks guys. For the record, he isn't literally a crackhead I just can't describe his antics in a better way.

As I said in my OP he is a local guy and was willing to go into BAD neighborhoods that are way under-serviced. So, i took the chance on him. He was here 5 months and brought in about 3k per month and we payed him only commission so for a few months it worked out well. Live and learn I guess!

pointjockey

I would not loose sleep over him sharing your "pricing structure" and certainly not about him sharing your SAR Work Order Forms...lol They are so old and dated.

You hire a shady guy to work shady areas that you wont go into?
This one is all one you.
How Dumb are you that you hire a Guy Dumb as Dirt?

I recently let my outside sales rep go. It just wasn't working out. Anyway, I got a call today from a shop down the road from me. We do a lot of wholesale work for them and I consider the owner a friend and mentor. Apparently my ex-OSR was in there showing him our work order forms and other collateral we use and was also trying to explain our pricing structure to the owner. Lucky for me, he is dumb as dirt and didn't really pick up on too much in the short time he was here.

He was basically trying to convince my friend to hire him as an OSR and at the same time trying to blow up my pricing structure to the competition. There are 3 other sign shops in town. How do I contain the problem and do damage control.

Keep in mind this guy is kind of a crackhead for lack of better terms. We gave him the OSR job, because he was a local guy and was willing to go into the really bad areas that NO ONE markets. Any help, would be awesome and appreciated.

MikePro

Non-compete agreement
look into it... if not for now, at least for future reference. Will protect your business from salesmen comming in, doing nothing but gathering intel and client lists (and sucking off your salary), and then leaving you for a better deal from another company... with all your critical information.

Craig Sjoquist

Live and learn, Trial and error, don't sweat the small stuff, this person will find there way as you also will find yours

next

jiarby

When you hired him you could have used a non-disclosure and/or a non-compete... their enforceability varies city to city, so it is best to use a LOCAL labor/contracts atty for that.

If you had one then sue him.

Or, call up your cousin Vinnie to go bust him up a little and teach him the error of his ways.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like the others have already said.... don't worry too much about it, but if you're like me.... you want some satisfaction..... and some added fun.

Call him and tell him you'd like to talk to him about some possible future business that he might be interested in.................

When he gets there.... lock the door and walk around and face him square on. Tell him some of your competition has called you about some peculiar happenings lately and you'd like to question him about some of his recent job interviews. If this dumber than dirt deadbeat doesn't start sweating and admitting to what he did.... tell him you will have him prosecuted for his unethical behavior and your competition said they would back your statements.

Let him start dancing and when he finally admits this stuff, tell him you'll let him slide until the next person tells you about these actions again. Then he'll pay dearly.

You are in NY, just take a ride over to Moulberry St. and talk to some people about having him taken care of... lol
I would think that your competition would probably wonder why you let him go. I would never hire someone who pulled that as a sales pitch to hire them.