• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My third car illustration

signmeup

This is addictive. I'm really enjoying doing these things. I took the photo of this one myself so I own it outright. This is the only one I've actually finished so far...
I'm looking forward to the British car show next month so I can take some decent pictures of my favourite cars... with rendering them in mind.

Attachments

• MGA2sm.jpg
    MGA2sm.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 98

Baz

Stuff like this surely is inspiring. :thumb: Nice work Adrian! Makes me want to try and do my own favorite cars ... Finding the time is another story though.

so what would you charge to do something like this??
The hood has been changed to a new style I'm putting on it..
My son just had this drawn by someone he meet..

Attachments

• small camaro.jpg
    small camaro.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 97
  • camaro.jpg
    camaro.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 87

Pinfinity

Signme....SHUT UP! WOW, thats incredible! Really nice work! I just unhooked my design software after reviewing that! lol

RobbyMac

Nice. I see alot more detail in this one compared to the last...
Nice work on the chrome. Notice how a few extra colors in the chrome (instead of just lt blue to white gradient) adds alot more pop without spending a whole lot of time on it. Highlights helped to add some pizazz too.
Maybe add a horizon/shading line down the side of the body, and a highlight across the hood or something (so it doesn't seem as flat compared to your chrome)

signmeup

I tweaked the shading a bit and I'm much happier with it. (thanks Robbymac) It looks like I can't really get a good look on light coloured cars with just transparencies. You have to use coloured gradients. Anyhoo... I think you could tweak these things forever so I'm thinking this one is pretty much done.

Attachments

• MGA6.jpg
    MGA6.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 77

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's really great. I can't believe how fast you're getting this.

:rolleyes: However, now you're proving to all those idiots that go around saying, well all you do is push a couple of button and the machines spits it out.... that it is as easy as 1, 2, 3 !!

Only spoofin' with ya. You are becoming quite skilled at it. :thumb:

phototec

Great work Adrian!

Your first example shows the white car, however the illustration was flat looking and didn't show the the form of the white surface, on the other hand, your second revised version using shadows, is much better, using shadows to show the form and texture of the white surface. Much more realistic!

Being a student of Dean Collins, the great photographic lighting master, and attending many of his seminars, he explained, it is always hard to illustrate black or white products, and make them look 3 dimensional. The key for white products is the use of shadows to bring out the from and texture of a white product (car), and for a black product (car), the trick is to use specular highlights to define shape and texture.

Dean Collins came up with a concept in photography, he called "3D Contrast" too explain how this works and how to capture different color objects and make them look 3 dimensional, using Specular Highlights, the Diffused Value, and Shadows. Below is a short video of Dean at one of his seminars explaining his 3D contrast principle. I have been using his 3D Contrast principal in my commercial photography ever since leaning it in the late 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYM6cQYgEgk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

:thumb:

signmeup

Thanks for the link Phototec. I noticed quite a while back that objects were influenced by their environments. Chrome is the most obvious. It looks like whatever is closest to it. (if you look closely at the headlights on the MGA above you'll notice the little puffy clouds and blue sky I added)

The info on how light affects black, white or mid-tone objects was well presented. It makes things you intuitively knew easier to grasp when someone with his obvious mastery of the subject explains it in simple terms.

Last edited: