• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My vector dude

Flame

Alright, so got a job that's not great, but would make a good weekend project. Turn 3 guys pics into a caricature looking artwork. Like a vector photo, ya know?

So, never really played with caricatures, this is my first attempt... your thoughts?

Attachments

• the dude.jpg
    the dude.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 131

Flame

Well yeah but I know I need to touch stuff up..... just not sure where to start.

Original pic attached. ugh, poor quality.

Appreciate you taking time to check it out Rick.

Attachments

• the real dude.jpg
    the real dude.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 103

TheSellOut

I think you have a good start, but that guy has some big eyes which you might try and emphasize! Could you change the black to a brown? it seems like his hair is brownish.

Steve C.

Hey Flamey, If you keep you past isues of Signcraft...check out an article
by Joe Diaz on converting and image to high contrast illustrations.
July/Aug, 2007.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
When I do an illustration like this, I try to lay down a foundation of the person using the image in it's simplest form to catch the essence of the persons face, then build layers on top of that. You got the idea, just started with a poor foundation.

I might use Photoshop, make the image black and white, then use some filters (in this case photocopy) to get the basic form of the persons face... and hopefully that persons character shows through. This person has distinct eyes, nose and mouth features that are not showing through on your illustration. I actually thought your illustration was Lance Armstrong.

If you have not seen this....

http://www.illustrationclass.com/2009/06/20/stylized-portrait-illustration/

The image below is probably where I would have started...

Attachments

• the real dude=foundation.jpg
    the real dude=foundation.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 99

Rick

Not capturing the guy at all, the nose, the eyes the chin...

I played with it for around 15 minutes using the image I posted as a base to do a quick sketch on tracing paper then traced it on my vector program. The thing that stands out on this guy is his smile, healthy shnoz and eyes... You are not capturing it.

Attachments

• vector dude.jpg
    vector dude.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 100
  • dude side by side.jpg
    dude side by side.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 96

Rick

Hmm. Must be a Guam thing... isn't the point of being in Guam is to not try that hard?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
When he said he needed to do a caricature of 3 guys it was the first thing that popped into my head and in all the 40+ years of living here we have never had a Pep boys.

Rick your drawing looks good but when I hear cartoon caricature I think more of John Deaton's style of drawing.
Drawn over photos that still look a little too photo-like start to have that creepy "Uncanny Valley" effect.

wayne k
guam usa

Rick

If he said Cartoon Characature, then I would agree.. he seems to be working on a characature like a vector photo..., that could be interpreted as the illustration class example that is popular nowadays...

wiki describes it ad " A caricature can refer to a portrait that exaggerates or distorts the essence of a person or thing to create an easily identifiable visual likeness."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caricature

so any style drawing can be a characature... thats why I mention the guys shnoze eyes and mouth... they are prominent enough to enhance them a bit.. vector illustrations done right look great, but they can get a little creepy looking too.

Steve C.

When I think Characature I think Cartoon also. I struggle with them, but once
in a while I'll get it right. Here's my attempt just tracing with the bezier tool
over the photo with a posterized version. Your photo is not a very good one
for this.

Attachments

• someguyshead.jpg
    someguyshead.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 87

Rick

Another thing I do is place the original image on top while I am going along, and make sure the person comes through in the drawing. I don't want exact, just catch the person's recognizable feature.

For the heck of it I played with it more. the animated gif shows how the picture turns into the vector image...

Give it a second to load. http://iamglak.com/vector-dude-3.gif