• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My VS-540 is suddenly very LOUD! Suggestions...?

DesireeM

So the VS-540 isn't the quietest printer on the planet however it usually is not THIS loud. It may have been gradual but it seems like it very quickly went from a dull zipping noise to a very irritating high-pitched digital buzzing noise as the print head slides back and forth.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is it a wear-and-tear sort of issue? Could I fix it myself by re-greasing the track?
Any help or insight is appreciated.

Here's a video of the issue:

[video=youtube;kBCPKGQaQTg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBCPKGQaQTg[/video]

Dave L.

Scan Motor

Sounds like it is struggling and the bearings are getting worn. How long have you had this machine and what type of usage? (prints 40hrs a week etc.)

DesireeM

Sounds like it is struggling and the bearings are getting worn. How long have you had this machine and what type of usage? (prints 40hrs a week etc.)

It seems to only do this for the first few feet of the first print of the day. Almost like it loosens up after and is back to normal.
The machine is around 3 years old. We do run it roughly 40hrs a week(counting times when it's not running vs overnight runs it probably evens out) obviously that can vary by quite a bit though.

So if it's bearings I'd need to replace them correct? Or is there something I can do to fix them or prolong their life? I've noticed some light banding in the prints too that wasn't there before.

Jacob

Had the exact same problem its the drive motor for the head. The bearings go our on it. They are rated for roughy 1600 hoursof printing mine lasted almost 3k. Pretty cheap and easy to replace If i remember correctly it was like 200 bucks. Greasing the track helps with the noise as well.

The best way to check is open the control end. Put a pencil or something on the motor and them up to your cheek if sounds like there is sand is in there your bearing are shot get a new motor.

I hope this helps

Clear as mud?

IvanDD

Had a similar noise, but mine was more of a whining noise. Ended up having to replace the motor.

graphixlee

Scan Motor

A noisy carriage is usually a bad scan motor. I doubt you need to replace the carriage bearings - big job and expensive and usually not the problem.

DravidDavid

Definitely sounds like a bad scan motor. Our SJ-1000 sounds the same, but all the time. The bearings in the motor are warming up after use and are noisy when cold in the morning. Make sure you are covered for failure or you have a replacement motor in the country for when it fails. Expect it to fail soon, always haha.

neil_se

One of my XC540s is exactly the same. My tech said just to wait until it dies to replace it, it could be next week or it could be in 6 months.

Oldoldoldman

easy way to check your bearings is loosen the screw or clamp that holds the carriage to the cable and move carriage by hand and listen and feel. Just mark cable so you can clamp it right back the same place. You have to start with a cap inspection in menu so you can move carriage.

DesireeM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I guess I'll have to keep an eye on the motor. It's been fine for a couple days but that just means I'll see if I can convince the "money" to agree to get a tech in and maybe get the motor switched out before it dies. It takes a few days for the techs to be able to come here so it's probably best to get ahead of the issue now.