• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

n00b Envision 375 and EdgeII setup questions

DeVries Signs

I have a used Envision 375 that I am trying to setup up with my Omega 2.5.

Quick question (and probably a DUMB one):

I am trying to use the plotter with a Gerber cable that I had purchased from Hyatts for my GS15 (see attached). The Envision users manual mentions a "25 pin" serial interface cable...the one I have appears to have only 3 pins(?) I guess this would be my problem??

Unrelated Edge question:

I bought my Edge II from Hyatts around 2yrs ago. It was completely refurbished from Gerber, with a *NEW* printhead. Long story short: it's been in it's original box in my climate controlled storage until now (I've been doing Home Improvements full time up until now).

I just scrolled through the SETUP on the Edge, and the print minutes say: 24,939! :help

Shouldn't this have been RESET by Gerber when the print head was replaced??

I just called Hyatts about both things: hey're getting back to me about the cable I need, and they told me to call Gerber about the other thing. Called them, and they won't answer anything until I register an "account".

Thanks for your help.

:covereyes:

DeVries Signs

OOps- forgot the pic

I didn't see an option to upload a pic when editing my previous post (?)

Attachments

• feb26 001.jpg
    feb26 001.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 133

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I am trying to use the plotter with a Gerber cable that I had purchased from Hyatts for my GS15 (see attached). The Envision users manual mentions a "25 pin" serial interface cable...the one I have appears to have only 3 pins(?) I guess this would be my problem??
my gs15 has a 25 pin cable, and so does my enV375...don't know where you got a 3 pin for your gs15....

I just called Hyatts about both things: hey're getting back to me about the cable I need, and they told me to call Gerber about the other thing. Called them, and they won't answer anything until I register an "account".

i don't know about the resetting, but i do deal with hyatt as well, and they should be calling gerber for you....if you bought the machine through hyatt, they need to call gerber

DeVries Signs

my gs15 has a 25 pin cable, and so does my enV375...don't know where you got a 3 pin for your gs15.

I am %99 sure i got it from Hyatts 2yrs ago. I am %100 sure that I use it to run my GS15/GA6.2, as I just did today. :D

I don't know about the resetting, but i do deal with hyatt as well, and they should be calling gerber for you....if you bought the machine through hyatt, they need to call gerber

That's what I was hoping. Guess I have to spend $500+ per month there to get "technical" questions answered (according to their phone message).

Oh well.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
it's not a technical question...it's a question about a piece of machinery that they sold you....if you were asking how to print with it, or having an issue with printing, then yes, that's tech support....but this is a question about an order.....

DeVries Signs

I hear ya. I get on the horn again tomorrow and try and get an answer to the print min question. Maybe I shold try and search the forum for other Edge II owners that have purchased theirs as a Gerber refurb, and see if their print minutes were set to zero or not...

I'm sure it won't help the "resale value" if the print head says 25,000min while in reality it only has about 25min. (not that I plan on selling any time soon)

I also need a knife assembly and an eye piece for the Envision. Anyone know the best place to buy them from is?

Thanks-
Rog

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I also need a knife assembly and an eye piece for the Envision. Anyone know the best place to buy them from is?

Thanks-
Rog

I don't think there are any alternatives to buying through an authorized Gerber distributor on either of those parts. The last time I bought them it was $45 for the bomb site and $150 for the knife assembly with no discount as we get on our Gerber materials.

If your thinking of looking for a more interested Gerber distributor, you might want to consider Graphic Marking Systems.

imagesigns

they dont reset the minutes,its like a car the mileage is what it is even if you replace the engine,its still has original parts everywhere else

imagesigns

try the PLOTTER DOCTOR they have great service and alot of parts,i just sent my edge there and the parts and labor is alot cheaper price than gerber ,and they have a good reputation.

CBurr

There is a manufactures sticker on the printhead, left or upper depending on which edge you have that has a variety of numbers on it. The serial number is date coded, it is two numbers a dash and 5 numbers.
The first number is the year made, the second number is the month ( with x,y,z for oct, nov, or dec) and the 5 digit number is the printhead number.

so a 79-00034 was made in either 1997 or 2007 september and the 34th head manufactured. You should be able to tell if the head was built around the time it was repaired give or take a few months.

DeVries Signs

The number is: 64-00095

Apr 2006..so that does give me some peace of mind. The Edge II I bought was stated to be repaired in Oct-Nov 2006. So I'd assume the print head "#95" was sitting in stock at Gerber and they installed it into my Edge 6 months later (sound likely?). This is from an email from the Hyatt salesman:

show details 9/24/06
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Roger,
We do have a used Edge 2 available. It currently has a bad pixel and is scheduled for repair (new print head, etc.) in late October. It will be available in early Nov. If you would like, we can set you up now with an Edge LE (later vision of Edge 1), in the mean time, we could then swap out machines when your Edge 2 (w/ new print head) is available. They both take the same foil cartridges. A quote is attached and I've included eight foils, a recommended startup. I will also give you a couple open rolls. A deposit is needed to hold.

I definitely agree that Gerber should reset the print minutes number to zero, since the print head is NEW. Since they do NOT, I believe that either Gerber (or at least their distributors) should be required to state (on the receipt) that the "previous" print head minutes before the refurb was "___". That would be all I needed.

So if it's any help to anyone, my Edge's previous print head blew a pixel at around 24,000min. or LESS. Isn't this earlier than usual?? Less than 400hrs?

=====================

While scrolling through "setup", the "Firings=6". What does this mean? Is this some type of print setting?

Thanks again for ALL the replies. Your help is very much appreciated! :U Rock:

Hyatts never called me back about the Envision cable...guess I'll call one of the other distributors mentioned here.

imagesigns

my print head went bad at 14000 minutes,if you think about it thats only 10 days work but still made good money with it. whats the most anyone has got out of a print head?

DeVries Signs

my print head went bad at 14000 minutes,if you think about it thats only 10 days work but still made good money with it. whats the most anyone has got out of a print head?

Wow- that sure sounds low! I read a post on 4edgetalk yesterday where an Edge owner got around 50k minutes on his. Not sure what the "norm" is though (there must be a thread on it somewhere).

If your thinking of looking for a more interested Gerber distributor, you might want to consider Graphic Marking Systems.

Thanks Fred.

Just got off the phone with Marjorie from GMS. Started asking about the Envision cable (they have the 15ft, is calling back about longer cables) and before I knew it I had a 45min conversation with her all about general sign business stuff. She was extremely knowledgable and friendly! I think I'll be doing business with them real soon... :loveya:

imagesigns

i just got my edge back from a shop first they said it was the motherboard then they said no its the print head and i just started it up and when i sent it it had 14000 minutes now it says 24 minutes? so i wonder if they put a mother board in it and found out it wasnt that and forgot to take it out.does the motherboard hold the memory for the minutes?

Malkin

After looking at this thread and realizing that the edge had a minutes counter, I decided to check ours.

It's right around 72,000. We've had it about 11-12 years. (Edge 1) I think maybe JD Iles sold it to us. It's been a real workhorse.