• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

natural aluminum vs outdoor

bigben

I've got a customer that want a 65in high X 52in wide double sided aluminum sign. The sign will be hanged from the top and there will only be some cut vinyl on it. My customer want to keep the natural aspect of the aluminium. I normally paint my aluminum, so I do not know how natural aluminum react with time outdoor.

• Should I cover it with a clear product first or I can leave it like this?
  • As for the thickness, I was thinking .080. Is it overkill or should I go thicker than this?
  • I also have concern about the weight if I go with a thicker material.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ben

Billct2

That thing is going to whip around in the wind.
Unfinished aluminum oxidizes in the weather.
I'd use a product with a clear or anodized finish
and either secure it top and bottom or use something heavier.

reQ

nothing wrong with 0.080 with that size specially, don't have to put clear coat over it before sticking vinyl. Without knowing how exactly you installing it, can't say anything else really

bigben

For the hanging part, it will be on a reverse ''L'' shape post made with 4X4. The post and sign is already there, I just change the sign part. I could install it by fix it on the top and side to avoid movement.

My question was more about the oxidation (we got harsh winter here). But thinking about it, the oxidation with time would fit with the look of my customer business. Also if my choice of .080 thick aluminum was good of overkill.