• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Natural" looking sign substrate - but NOT wood

amerigrafix

Any ideas for about 200 signs I need to replace? They do not want to use wood again, but do want to keep the "natural" look of them. I will be having to use all of the existing sign posts, and most of the new signs will have to be installed on top of the existing signs. (first time posting, so I hope I did this right!!!) Thanks - Stacy

amerigrafix

sign sizes are all over the place - from small 12" x 36" directional to 4' x 8' sizes... I do not have a way to work with the HDU - and i know my customer would scream when he saw those prices!! I was just hoping someone out there would have an idea... I have been stressing for well over a week on it and can not come up with any ideas.... BTW: these signs will be installed in the New Mexico heat and sand will be blowing on them constantly....

J

john1

At a expo a few months ago there was a PVC material that came with grain in it like wood, If you stain it it looked EXACTLY like grained wood.

Forget the exact PVC it was though. It was about 1/2" thick though.

TXFB.INS

not knowing the "look"

use some form of ACP, would stick to a premium grade (dibond) and then digitally print this "natural surface" put a good UV lamination on it.
going to be budget friendly.

threeputt

Stacy, the attached file shows an idea that may work for you.

The idea here is to print the text over a background that has a nice natural look to it. These were for my own golf Club.

Since you state that the new signs are to go right over top of the existing signs, you'll have the additional "thickness" that should make these signs look dimensional.

In reality they are only 1/8" thick PolyMetal with a digital print and over-lam on them. Very, very cost effective and they'll look great.

There are some great woodgrain background .tifs out there. (mine are from Plotter Art's Seamless Texture Tiles by Fred.

They're great and we use them all the time.

Attachments

• proposed hole markers.jpg
    proposed hole markers.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 96

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have however many dibond sheets flatbed printed, sent to you and then you apply the necessary vinyl graphics and cut them to your specific sizes.

amerigrafix

Ok guys by natural he simply means to NOT use white aluminum or the like....I have done tons of signs for him in the past and this new project just needed something a little more organic looking. But thanks for all the input - I do appreciate it...

DSC

I just had a customer come in with a tool she saw at home depot.. She specified her finish and saved herself some $$ because I would not have to carve the grain .. It works great for Faux painted wood grain!! Just get a base color and a grain color.. go to town.. use any outdoor substrate that is ready to paint or properly prepped for outdoor
here is the link

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053#.UIBWqYW6RhE

It is the one on the left with the half circles -

I Branding

Any ideas for about 200 signs I need to replace? They do not want to use wood again, but do want to keep the "natural" look of them. I will be having to use all of the existing sign posts, and most of the new signs will have to be installed on top of the existing signs. (first time posting, so I hope I did this right!!!) Thanks - Stacy

why don't you try Falcon Boards?

Billct2

since this is 4 years old and they haven't posted since we will probably never know what they ended up doing....