• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Naturally Speaking" speach recognition software

JoshLoring

Voice recognition software is great. You may be interested in knowing that this post is being typed by Siri, my little iPhone 4s assistant. Why type when I can simply tell it what to type for me?

Colin

Ya, as a person who never learned to type in the traditional/formal way, I find it pretty cool.

I had a funny conversation yesterday with the "Sales" guy at Dragon (Nuance).

Me: Hi, I have the old Dragon Naturally Speaking (DNS) 10 and I just downloaded the free patch to get it to run on Win7, but there are still some issues, so could you please tell me what the price is as a registered user to get the new v11 for Win7?

Sales: It is $99.00 for the Basic version, and $149.99 for the Premium version. But we have a special on right now for $74.99 and $99.99

Me: Oh, what's the difference between the two?

Sales: The Basic version only works on MS Word, and the Premium works on pretty much everything.

Me: Hmmm, that's interesting, because my old Basic version works on everything, so if I pay for an upgrade to the new v11 Basic, I'll lose all that, which forces me to pay a hundred dollars for essentially what I have now, albeit a newer version.

silence

Me: Hello?

Sales: Ummm, yes.

Fatboy

Do I get a prize for resurrecting the oldest thread?

I got Dragon Naturally Speaking a couple years ago for my XP machine, and just got the free update for it to work on Win7. There is a bug though which, after considerable time, I figured out how to fix. So if anyone needs help getting it to work properly on Win7, let me know.

Is it working?

Colin

Is it working?

Yes, but........

DNS builds and refers to a "User Profile" (which is based upon the way you speak), and it uses this in order to work properly for you. Without this profile, it doesn't work very well, making all kinds of mistakes. This is where there's a glitch in the free "patch" version (v10.1 over v10 for XP) for Win7. If you have the "User Account Control" setting (UAC) at anything above the bottom (lowest) setting, DNS will not be able to open your user profile, and therefore will not work properly.

I've since learned that having your UAC setting in Win7 at the bottom is really not a problem, but if you feel that you don't like having it set there, and would prefer to have it set at one of the other (3) higher settings, then there is a work-around that must be done.

If you want or need to know the gory details of this work-around, let me know and I will take the time to describe it.