• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

neatdesk.... good or bad? alternatives?

ironchef

Hey guys, anyone have a neatdesk scanner? I want to digitize about 10 file cabinets 4 ft high, full of files. And im wondering if the neatdesk is a good brand , or are their better alternatives? Their website neat.com
I saw it on an infomercial so im not sure on its quality. Any comments?

ThinkRight

Hey guys, anyone have a neatdesk scanner? I want to digitize about 10 file cabinets 4 ft high, full of files. And im wondering if the neatdesk is a good brand , or are their better alternatives? Their website neat.com
I saw it on an infomercial so im not sure on its quality. Any comments?

I do not have one.
But...
Search the threads because it has been discussed before

WildWestDesigns

I've had one for a good while and it's held up pretty good. I've been happy with it. I know people on here have used other products (some cheaper), I don't know what the results have been compared to neatdesk though.

I've been happy with mine though.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
If you already have Adobe Acrobat, just use your scanner to make pdf files. It takes just a teeny little bit more effort to organize, but it will do the same thing.

I've seen several You Tube videos and even the owners claim that the Neat Desk doesn't always do what it is supposed to do 100% of the time.

My scanner has an auto feeder which makes it a close contender.

JB

jasonx

My brother does the accounts for our business. I wanted a digital copy of all our hard copy paperwork to make it easier to find invoices and contracts. His had it a couple of months and it works a treat. He can load up to 20 sheets let it scan and process the files automatically. For the money it doesn't seem cheap it really depends on the volume you want to scan. For us its definitely worth it in the time we save trying to find hard copy versions and spending money on filing cabinets etc and having the staff accurately file everything away.

Gene@mpls

I'm with gg- we use it more all the time for more and more things- scan to
copy - quick scan to add a jpeg to a graphics file - getting rid of our fax
machine - finding invoices and on and on. ScanSnap by the way.

choucove

It seems the biggest part that Neatdesk is advertising and pushing is the software behind the scanner, to help organize documents with a "powerful OCR" engine. However, from what I have seen the Fujitsu scanners are much better quality, they just tend to last longer and run better. Fujitsu ScanSnap scanners have a similar software that seems a little more flexible to me, and they will work with a host of other programs as well.

ironchef

Ill look into those two, the most important thing i need is to add several different types if documents such as invoices, pics of completed job and before, actual design files and attach several keywords to search by. Any ideas on that?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ill look into those two, the most important thing i need is to add several different types if documents such as invoices, pics of completed job and before, actual design files and attach several keywords to search by. Any ideas on that?

I'm not sure about Neat Dest, or the rest, but with Acrobat, you can assign meta data (key words used to describe the document) within the document that works with your computer's search functions.

Even if the document's file name does not contain the key search word you're looking for, it will still come up on a search with the meta data information embedded.

This is especially helpful when tracking down specific customer documents.

I especially like the fact that Windows 7 contains a search bar on each open window...a real time saver, for sure.

Jim

ironchef

Hmmm acrobat or neatdesk? From what ive seen neatdesk, tries to read all the info, and ive seen on youtube it doesnt always read good. Like receipts, invoices not just handwriting, i really dont need that function, just the keyword search capability, and also a way to store diff. Files,pics, and invoices, eps. Cdr. Pdf jpg, in a folder and assign the keywords to that folder...

WildWestDesigns

Hmmm acrobat or neatdesk? From what ive seen neatdesk, tries to read all the info, and ive seen on youtube it doesnt always read good. Like receipts, invoices not just handwriting, i really dont need that function, just the keyword search capability, and also a way to store diff. Files,pics, and invoices, eps. Cdr. Pdf jpg, in a folder and assign the keywords to that folder...

That's strange. I've only had issues with handwritten stuff as far as getting info wrong, but I don't get handwritten receipts anymore, so that's a none issue for me. Everything else reads good.

Now, if I have a receipt that has to be scanned in the documents slot, it'll initially be setup as a document and display that info. I just have to switch it to receipt and all the relevant info comes up and so far, it's all been correct. Like I said before, that doesn't happen all that often and it's simple enough to fix.

However, if everything is already setup digitally and you don't have to scan, then I would look into an acrobat solution. Might take a little bit more initially to get it setup for your situation, but that should work if everything is already digital.

ironchef

Thats the thing, i dont have nothing digital, except the actual design files, and our work orders are all handwritten, so im not really looking for something to recognize the info, i just want to scan, group together with other files and attach keywords to them.