• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need 4" thick logo cut - material suggestion?

Jorgo

Hello, does anyone have a suggestion on a 4" thick substrate (not- EPS, preferably white) that can be waterjet cut?

I need to cut a logo ( actually about 50) out of 4" thick closed cell material, like styrene) so it stands up on it's own. the overall dimension is roughly 12"w x 14"t.

The most cost effective method so far has been to have it cut with an edm machine out of eps foam. Problem is the client doesn't like the texture of the material, and there are multiple cut through lines where the wire had to pass through ie. the center of the A, P, etc. we lasre cut .040 styrene and mounted to the face but client still says no. ( hopefully picture upload worked).

The end production piece desired needs to be smoother. I've been searching the net for 4" substrates, then realized - duh - that my most valuable resource is probably right here in your experience and knowledge. If I've left out any important details I apologize. I'm just envisioning a fairly light, closed cell substrate like a styrene in a 4" thick sheet that can be either waterjet or router cut.

Thank you.

Jorgo

Attachments

• photo-17.jpg
    photo-17.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 106

iprint

Sounds to me like you could use an extruded polystyrene foam instead of the expanded polystyrene such as a Dow or Owens Corning foam board. The extruded does not have the beads like regular eps (think the center of foam board such as Gator). You may have problems finding it in 4" thick pieces, but you should be able to find 2" that could be laminated together to get 4". Routing would work, but I do not have experience with water jetting or lasering of foam. I will check my favorites and see if I might have a supplier of thick extruded.

SignosaurusRex

Specialty Products & Insulation Inc. Their Tukwila, Wa. branch (Paragon Pacific Insulation) would be your best start. They not only have the capability to produce those in quantity but they are also the largest supplier of specialty foams and insulation products nationwide. I believe the guy you want to talk to is Jon Suttle. I was just talking to him 3 days ago about this very subject.

iprint

I didn't see anything in my links, but I just checked 3A Composites website and they show Gator as being available in 2" 4'x8' sheets. Laminate two sheets together and have it routed. Only issue that I could see there is that you would probably see where the two sheets meet. Or if you could talk your client into coming down to 3", Ultraboard comes in 3" thickness.

Jorgo

Sounds to me like you could use an extruded polystyrene foam instead of the expanded polystyrene such as a Dow or Owens Corning foam board. The extruded does not have the beads like regular eps (think the center of foam board such as Gator). You may have problems finding it in 4" thick pieces, but you should be able to find 2" that could be laminated together to get 4". Routing would work, but I do not have experience with water jetting or lasering of foam. I will check my favorites and see if I might have a supplier of thick extruded.

Thank you all for the suggestions.. Extruded looks more like what i'm looking for, but is it "squishy" or more rigid, like styrene? I'm waiting to hear back from paragon pacific, and i'm looking into mcmaster and HDU.
Maybe i need to inquire at other waterjet vendors, as teh guy i'm using isn't familiar with these types of projects at all.

again, can't thank you enough.

Jorgo