• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need A 3D Prop For a Wrap

grafixemporium

I have a client we have done a bunch of work for. One of those kind I just can't say "no" to. I need to find someone who can fabricate a 3 dimensional rocket based on their logo design that will mount to the top of a passenger van we are wrapping. I'm thinking something sculpted from foam? I have no clue. It just needs to be painted to match their color scheme and solid enough to mount on top of a van that goes no more than 30mph.

Please shoot me an email as quick as possible. Thanks!

Andrew
andrew@gfxwraps.com

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
[and solid enough to mount on top of a van that goes no more than 30mph.

And part of the install is an engine governor?

grafixemporium

Always a joker in the crowd. No, actually the van will never leave their parking lot. So actually, it probably will never go much more than 15 or 20mph.

signmeup

A pic and a few dimensions would probably help your chances. I can make you a rocket ship but I'm a fair distance away.

ucmj22

I know there are companies to do this if you want to do it yourself. There are sites where you can purchase 4x4x8 blocks of foam, then you shape it , spray it with fiberglass leaving an opening which after fiberglassing, you would pour acetone into and remove the foam inside. Then paint! Or... I remember getting and email about a vendor about a year ago that will make them for you. I can not remember who it was though.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I know there are companies to do this if you want to do it yourself. There are sites where you can purchase 4x4x8 blocks of foam, then you shape it , spray it with fiberglass leaving an opening which after fiberglassing, you would pour acetone into and remove the foam inside. Then paint! Or... I remember getting and email about a vendor about a year ago that will make them for you. I can not remember who it was though.

+1, I used to do the fiberglass housing over foam back in college, good stuff, spray first coat, maybe reinforce with fiberglass fibers, spray and sand and spray a couple more times (or brush ... doesn't matter as long as final sanding is with wet dry sand paper) you can leave the foam inside, or dissolve, then automotive primer coat (not spray paint) and enamel paint the outside (if dissolved you can ask a body shop to paint for you then oven bake.)

W

www.esigns.com

I made a rocket for the top of a limousine that was owned by a tattoo parlor who bougt the vehicle because they were having sign ordanance (haha) issues..their shop logo was a rocket. I constructed the body out of pvc pipe & had an aluminum 'rack/holding system' fabricated for mounting it. Fins were also custom cut aluminum that fit through slots that I cut in the pvc body on the table saw. The cone was first sculpted out of scrap foam & a mold was then made out of epoxy resin over overlapped mesh,then I adhered sandblast stencil with additional sheet adhesive to 'build up' raised lettering on the side of the 'rocket' the lettering was lightly coated with epoxy resin & then painted to customer specs. Everyone told me that epoxy would not adhere to pvc but it was what was on hand & the customer intended to never drive the vehicke & only utilize it as a sign solution for approx 90 days,i figured after educating the customer about potential life expectancy issues it was worth a shot.

I saw that limousine parked outside of their parlor last summer when returning to the city for a visit,it is over 15 years old now & has held up remarkably well in addition they now drive the limousine to events & such so it has been subjected to conditions far beyond imagined & lasted much longer than imagined as well.

with that said I would not hesitate to build another but would eliminate the 'raised lettering. It was a ridiculous effort for the end result& I am still amazed that area has not failed.

Last edited by a moderator:

signmeup

I made rockets as a kid and they worked. (back when kids had hobbies) They were made of paper tubes and balsa. I can see a sonna tube wrapped with glass cloth and resin being fairly durable.

GVP

ez-Router are based in Texas - I should think they could put you in touch with someone reasonably close to you?

grafixemporium

Here is a rough representation of what my client is looking to do. It would be about 60" from the tip of the nose to tip of the flame. I would need help figuring out a mounting system too.

Attachments

• rocket2.jpg
    rocket2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 94
W

www.esigns.com

Cool Rocket Design.
Mine was mounted to look 'military' & parallel to the roof line. Does this mounting system need to be removeable? Will they allow you to bolt a baseplate to the roof? If so that is the route I would begin but I don't know too many clients that are going to be overly excited about drilling holes in the roof of their vehicle & then having exposed hardware in the interior of the vehicle but it would be the easiest path to go down for creating a mounting system IF it is potentially acceptable by the client...let us know more,if this is a utility van not a passenger or conversion van it may be an option.

regardless I would build this on a mounting plate maybe with stainless or powder coated rods attached to the mounting plate supporting the 'missile'.

I would recommend contacting 3D sign co (Bill) I haven't seen him around the forum for awhile but he can build this in a variety of ways I have multiple ideas on how to construct this feel free to call me & we can talk through it based on customer expectations, budget, & if this is going to be a one off or has the potential that you will need to fabricate identical matching pieces in the future.

I'm not tooled to produce this but can suggest a few shops that I know can produce this once I know a little more info. Call me in the am if you'd like, I was going to call you tomorrow anyway.
dan@esigns.com

grafixemporium

I haven't really gone over mounting scenarios with them yet. The van is a passenger van currently used to shuttle people. We are finishing up a fleet of brand new shuttle buses for them, so my feeling is they plan to take this van out of service and just use it to as a big billboard. If that's the case, I doubt they will mind putting a few holes in the roof as long as we silicone them up and make sure they don't leak. However, that would probably entail pulling the headliner, etc.

I'll discuss mounting options with them later. For the time being I need to get some numbers together for the project to get approval.

W

www.esigns.com

I just have questions so I know what shop to point you towards because of production methods,expectations (longevity, material/durability,how omportant you forsee the ability to repair or would client opt to replace,etc etc)

You could find a prop manufacturer or marine construction company (someone with a cnc foam cutting machine) cut 2 matching halves (2.5d) & secure the halves & have it hardcoated.

You could locate a sign company who has a gantry deep enough on their cnc or the technical know how to laminate multiple sheets of hdu,etc..many sign shops with cnc routers do not have software that can do true dimensional work (many software programs or cnc operators/designers use their machines as what I would explain as 'fancy jigsaw' machines. But this would be an expensive option, gluing up multiple machined hdu panels (lots of machine time,lots of labor in finishing but with the right shop would yield a showroom artwork piece.

there are cnc spindles & 4 & 5 axis machines,it is going to depend on the finished size I know you stated the length 60" but what is the circumference this is going to determine who could fabricate in that method.

what I have seen of your work it is high end,how 'perfect' does this need to be?

alternatively if you think you will never have two of these parked side by side or there is a little tolerance allowed you could have a craftsman like signmeup create a one off,he does great dimensional work without a cnc machine.

is foam durable enough? there is obviously HUGE differences in materials & prices & considerations between HDU & say EPS with a hard-coat & would either be acceptable to the client,or does a master need to be carved & fiberglass parts created?

those are what I am trying to understand so I can suggest shops & fabricators who can provide a product that meets your requirements & customer expectations so you can contact them for quotes.

Pat Whatley

By the way, as soon as you design and manufacture it to survive a 30 mph drive somebody is going to decide they should drive it across town to park outside a club as a promotion, or drive it 5 miles down the interstate so they can use it in a parade, or drive it 60 miles an hour to the tire store to have the dry rotted tires replaced.

grafixemporium

Good point Pat. Good thing rockets are somewhat aerodynamic.

Dan, for now, the project is a one off for the only passenger van they have. I don't see them putting these on the shuttle buses because clearance would be an issue. Of course, quality is important but it's not going in a museum. I'm already in touch with Signmeup. I sent emails/specs out to a couple of other recommendations, too.

As far as production methods... I don't know enough about it to make a decision. I don't know if foam is durable enough. I think fiberglass would certainly be fine. Let's just say it needs to withstand the elements for a 3 to 5 year period.

I can't answer the repair/replace question because I don't have a clue what a project like this is going to cost. If it's too cost prohibitive, they likely won't even pull the trigger. I'm here to find someone who can recommend the best method and build this thing for us.

JoshLoring

Hmm. Too bad it needs to be based on their Rocket. I'm pretty sure there's a foam rocket around the corner at Storyland Studios. They do mad Disney stuff.

It's nice to walk through that place. Like a wonderland! We did some logos for the life sized Harry Potter train they built. Sweet!

signmeup

The logo doesn't lend itself to being 3D. The blue shading and white highlight is the problem. How do you represent that in a 3D object? I think the client will have to accept some creative license if they want a 3D version.

I expect a safe/durable one off of this 6 feet long with a bracket would run you about 3 grand.

Maybe a flat cutout would work better? Or semi 3D with some bulging to the sides and 4 fins etc.