• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a Computer Guru's Help

3dsignco

I just ordered a Cintiq and started looking at my Computer for the Setup. I already have a dual monitor setup so I was going to add another PCI express Card so I could run 3 monitors and the Cintiq for a quad setup but I am a little confused about the Motherboard specs/setup.

It says...
"2 x PCIe X 16 slot, supports two PCI-Express interface Graphics cards with SLI mode "

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Product...rd&ProductID=1898&ProductName=GA-8N-SLI Royal

I already have an ATI x700 in one of the slots can I just buy another x700 and run it in the second slot or do I have to buy the special SLI Video cards to run these in series.
I do have a normal PCI 256 meg Video card that I could just plug in to the standard PCI Slot but I am leary that may dog my system with a Bottleneck.
Any Help would Appriciated

hydo1

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have hands on experience with SLI) but it looks like the video cards have to support SLI to utilize it.

Baz

Your ATI card has support for dual monitor setup. I dont know if you can just add another video card and slap on more monitors (i doubt it). but it will not be SLI (because thats for Nvidia) and your motherboard does not support Crossfire (neither does your ATI card).

3dsignco

Found it.. It was buried in the apendix of my Manual after looking at it 20 times.

In case you care SLI is Propritiery but it takes a Jumper to Join the 2 cards to activate the SLI otherwise it will work as 2 seperate cards so I can set up a Quad monitor system.

Last edited:

synergy_jim

stuff....

everything you just said is true.

you can use 2 cards and run 4 monitors. The only thing having dual SLI cards or Crossfire cards will do is give you 2 GPU's sharing the rendering duties for increased frame rates.