• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a few installation tips for Van

gfreeman

Hi all,

I took a few years break from vinyl cutting and am starting to get into it again.
First job turns out to be larger than I thought, for a friend who also starts out her biz.
I haven't done longer lines like this before (longest is 72).
Could use a few pointers for this one regarding:

What size material to cut from for the black lines (both side of the Van are similar)
Hinge techniques used & getting the lines straight.
How to actually do the layering of the two color cake design using reg. marks.
Surface prep and fluids recommendation.

I know it's a lot to ask, I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

I'm about to order the material for it (Oracal).

Thanks in advance ;)

Freeman

Attachments

• cake-chicks.jpg
    cake-chicks.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 107

S'N'S

I would move the "turning Cakes into art" to under the Cake Chicks.
Move the Phone no down in line with the web address.
Center the black text.
I presume this is all cut vinyl, tape it where you want it and hinge in the middle, mark both ends on the mask and paint with china graph pencil to give you something to line up, fold one end back, peel, cut backing off, line up and squeegee down. If your not 100% confident, you could do it wet.

jono91

I presume this is all cut vinyl, tape it where you want it and hinge in the middle, mark both ends on the mask and paint with china graph pencil to give you something to line up, fold one end back, peel, cut backing off, line up and squeegee down. If your not 100% confident, you could do it wet.

This.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Wash the vehicle. Then prep with 99% alcohol or wax and grease remover. Tack the lines of copy down with a piece of tape off each end. Measure and then measure again. Run a continous tape hinge across the very top edge of the line of vinyl. Cut the vinyl application tape and paper between a few letters at a time. Apply a small section at a time.

What size is your cake and your vinyl cutter?

Wiggum PI

:goodpost: Until you get confident laying straight lines again with SNS's method, the top hinge method on flat panel works great with text. With the layers, I"d probably go with a solid red with aqua? and white(dots) overlay if you don't wanna worry about bleeds and shrinkage(that sounds nasty lol).

Circleville Signs

1. Don't practice on a customer's vehicle.

2. You've had some good advice given here, but honestly, the BEST answer in this situation is to sub the install out to someone who does it all the time, and then GO WATCH AND LEARN from them.

Laying down a 6' section straight is one of the easiest things you will do in this business. As for the cake, personally, I wouldn't do it as layered vinyl - I'd print/cut it and be done.

WrapYourCar

obvious things, use application tape, (I would use "clear" so you can position accurately" and get a visual of where everything is before applying it, clean vehicle with white vinegar and save some $$, then use masking tape vertically through middle of each line of text, (tip: if you want to split it into multiple halves, perhaps per word, it will make it even easier especially if you're just 1 person installing it,) put a marking point on the side you're applying, i usually just use a bit of masking tape again. should be a very simple job, for the Cake Chicks vinyl it is quite large, but also skinny, so i'd still do this all "dry method" no application fluid, any air bubbles will come out easily. I'd use a large applicator, much easier for bigger vinyl area's my favourite tool is a 3M applicator (http://www.signwarehouse.com/VWRPS-p-HT-3M-CPA-1.html) saves alot of time on bigger surfaces, and is really nice to hold. I would possibly do the cake wet, will be a lot easier.

WrapYourCar

I wouldn't subby this job out, everyone on here tends to think we all have a lot of money to just give it out to sub contractors, if he's going to watch a sub contractor do it he might as well watch youtube or something, doing it yourself is the only real way to learn properly, besides even though it's a client sometimes doing a friends car will take a stress off a bit, they'll surely understand if things don't go perfectly, you can always redo it for them, it's only vinyl and cheap to replace if you make a mistake.

Circleville Signs

I wouldn't subby this job out, everyone on here tends to think we all have a lot of money to just give it out to sub contractors, if he's going to watch a sub contractor do it he might as well watch youtube or something, doing it yourself is the only real way to learn properly, besides even though it's a client sometimes doing a friends car will take a stress off a bit, they'll surely understand if things don't go perfectly, you can always redo it for them, it's only vinyl and cheap to replace if you make a mistake.

That's one way of looking at things - however a job like this should be priced based upon an actual pricing strategy, meaning that there is a suitable labor rate in there. At the very most, this entire job, including prep, shouldn't take more than 1 hour.

Are you really telling me that it isn't worth $50 (AT THE VERY MOST) to have someone who knows what they are doing show you exactly how it's done, and you even have the ability to ask questions? This design affords the opportunity to learn most of the major things needed for cut vinyl, including layering, registration, different hinge methods, etc. $50 for that kind of hands on education is a pittance.

It isn't a question of "having money to throw around". If the job is properly priced, that money is already there.

gfreeman

Wow, lots of good advice, thank you ;)

Yes, it's a friend's car and she won't be watching. Would be nice though, to watch someone do it and explain a little ( I wouldn't mind paying $50, is anyone in the knoxville area?)
I did find some good videos on youtube, but nothing that long.

The cutter is 24" and the cake is 22x16

I plan to get 24" black and cut the black lines next to each other...

WrapYourCar

CIRCLEVILLE SIGNS - $50 is a bargain, perhaps installers are cheap in your neck of the woods Gary! it would cost me at least $150 in Australia.

Circleville Signs

I do this kind of install work for other shops all the time. 1 man, simply vinyl installs, no ladder work - $50/hr is what I charge. It's not what I'd charge an end user, but another sign shop? Absolutely.

gfreeman

Ok, so the pink mainline with center hinge and the longer black line with a top hinge and cut in between the words.

How do I register the cake? Do I lay down the reg marks on top of each other on the van and scrape them off later?

It's not a very tight registration, there is supposed to be some white coming through to give dimension and shape.

Also Rtape conform clear on Oracal 651 ?

Attachments

• cake.jpg
    cake.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited: