• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a new computer

vaughnlm

So like a pc user . . .

What started as a suggestion to the original post to be careful in purchasing a custom built computer has once again turned to the almighty argument of the pc/apple syndrome. Don't really care to argue regarding power, speed, ram, cores . . . as long as it works for you . . . spend your money.
Going way past 40 years in the tech field ... back when a computer took up an entire room in the Air Force . . . we have more power in our shirt pocket today. Have made many mistakes & expensive lessons along the way . . . purchasing custom built, self built, and off the shelf systems. Commodore, Atari, dos, Macintosh, win(1.1,NT,95,98,2000,millennium,xp,vista,7,8, and soon to be 10), Apple. . . my job is so much easier today... thanks Mr Jobs.
Currently work as a private contractor for an organization with hundreds of computers, tablets, phones, printers, scanners, and audio/video equipment . . . (funny thing) the only Mac in the entire organization is on my support desk.
Something to think about . . . having the most ram and the largest number of cores . . .. if a simple Win 7 - 64 bit system has to install most of the programs you buy in a folder called (Program Files x86) because they can't take advantage of the 64 bit system . . . How many programs that you know of in this industry have the capacity to support 1TB ram & 18 core?
Really enjoy wide format printing, Cloud based software, Citrix. . . it has all came into my business a little late in life, but this industry will see a massive change with Thin Clients (no desktops) and cloud based solutions.
After sharing all this I'm that much closer to retirement, and to think I was almost convinced to buy a custom built system and switch back to Windows.

I pray that He who is able, guide each of you in your business endeavors

How is a Mac more powerful than a Dell or HP with the exact same Intel processor, same memory, hard drive, specs, etc.?? Other than the motherboards and cases they are the exact same hardware.

In fact looking at the new Dell Precision models compared to the new Mac Pros it looks like the max memory a Mac Pro can be configured with is 64GB and can have a up to an 8 core Xeon processor while the Dells can have up to 1TB of ram and dual 18 core Xeons. Basically if you are comparing "Pro to Pro" then the Dells, HP's, and customs systems like from Signburst can be configured to totally spank and make the top Macs look pathetically underpowered in every possible way.

Don't get me wrong, the Macs are nice machines and plenty fast but far from being "more powerful". I'd also venture to say that an identically equipped desktop from Signburst would probably be less expensive than an identically equipped Mac. You really don't need to pay their (Apples) premium.... lol Aren't Mac's just Linux with a pretty GUI and a crippled BIOS nowadays anyways??

CreatedDesigns

I'm not sure what Thin Clients you use but they need to come along way yet before they take over. Our company has probrably 1000 Thin clients that have replaced desktops. But so far they are not even close to working as well. But until sign companies start setting up large severs and VM's to use the thin clients. We won't have to worry just yet. The desktop PC is still king, I mean how many large companies are running all macs?..... Not many if any at all.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Thing is...

Every idiot on the planet knows where to get an Apple computer
so I'm thinking, when someone comes here asking where to get a
computer, they are asking for a PC/Windows machine.

70% of the things said about Apple on this thread is either absurd,
or comes from some odd placed criticism with little or no experience
or are simply clueless... If you have the latest PC and MAC on your desk,
then maybe you have a leg to stand on?

If you take away all the crap with hardware, OS, that the cool machined
aluminum case is for show or binary whohaaa...
you come up with one universal truth...
If you are in the sign business and are printing, CNC and engraving,
you really need a PC as you have way more software options or PC is the
only option.

Seems to me Signburst is the best option when looking for a Windows
machine for sign production... it will probably be our choice when we get a
PC for production. BY THE WAY...THAT'S WHO THE OP WAS LOOKING FOR!!!

By the way, for full disclosure, we are pretty much an Apple shop.
We have 30 years invested in this OS and has worked out well for us.
I use my PC for CAD, Corel and Flexi. When it's time for a computer
it will be an Apple first, PC when we require it.

DravidDavid

70% of the things said about Apple on this thread is either absurd,
or comes from some odd placed criticism with little or no experience
or are simply clueless... If you have the latest PC and MAC on your desk,
then maybe you have a leg to stand on?

What exactly was absurd and clueless?