• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a new digital camera...help!

graphicmaniac

I've searched and looked and..............arrrgggh!...
it's so difficult to decide.

I would like to get a nice DSL but not sure if I want to
put that much $ into it....so...need a great point and shoot.

I'm leaning towards Sony or Panasonic.

Had a Canon give out on me.....so I don't think I'm going with that brand,
even though from what I'm reading from the experts...that's one of the
good choices.

What do you guys and gals have and recommend...!?

HulkSmash

I own a Nikon, and a Cannon. IMO the 2 best SLR's on the market.

For pictures - Hands down the Nikon is superior.
For Video - Cannon has much better HD video recording... no question.

The Nikon also has a faster processor, and, to me, feels much smoother...

Here's a good starter one...for around 400

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3000-D...SV5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319479389&sr=8-1

If you have around 900-1200 to spend, get a Nikon D7. You won't be disappointed.

signmeup

I just got a Canon SX 230 HS. Love it. Awesome little camera. It takes amazing quality video too. It takes way better pictures than my DSLR.... because I never seem to have the "monster" DSLR with me. (It's a Canon too. And yes... it takes better pictures than the point and shoot but I do hardly ever have it with me.)

Here's a crop of a hand held shot of the moon I took with it.

Attachments

• moon-002.jpg
    moon-002.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 82

graphicmaniac

Try the search function. I recall a lengthy post about a year or two ago and there was a ton of information on the subject.

Here's one I found...http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74725&highlight=Canon+digital+SLR+camera

I tried a search...put in Digital Camera....put in just Camera, and
it didn't come up with much..? It could be me,...I've not
had much luck using 101's search function. :(

Not sure what I'm doing wrong with the search function....advice welcome
on that also...ha.

Thanks for the links and suggestions. :)

I'd love to spring for a DSL....but I really don't take that many pictures,
usually only at family functions....BUT I do have a new grandbaby on the way.

So the wife says.......lets get a new camera (like I'm going to argue)...ha.

*Edit: SignManiac....that's the one thread that did come up in my search, but didn't find much more.

IF...I were to get a DSL, it would probably be the Nikon.

That picture of the moon is amazing!
The price for that Canon SX...is maybe in my range.

Thanks guys.....keep the suggestions coming...please.

Letterbox Mike

I just ditched my Nikon DSLRs for a Nikon P7000 and couldn't be happier. I loved my DLSR rigs but they got cumbersome to lug around everywhere and I found I wasn't using them like I could or should just because of the inconvenience. The P7000 is a high-end point-and-shoot with all of the manual functionality of a DSLR. I've been very impressed with the optics and image quality from it. It's 10.1mp, has a 28-200 lens with vibration reduction, shoots up to 6400 iso with minimal noise, and stops down to f2.8. It's not cheap as far as point-and-shoot cameras go, but it's well worth the money to have a camera that comes very close to a DSLR that'll fit in your pocket.

It also shoots video at 720p and so far the video quality and sound quality have been great, not exactly professional quality but for a little P&S camera it's far exceed my expectations...

Here's a picture I shot last week up in Michigan, this is straight out of the camera, all I did was resize it in Photoshop.

Attachments

• beach 4.jpg
    beach 4.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 74

HulkSmash

I just ditched my Nikon DSLRs for a Nikon P7000 and couldn't be happier. I loved my DLSR rigs but they got cumbersome to lug around everywhere and I found I wasn't using them like I could or should just because of the inconvenience. The P7000 is a high-end point-and-shoot with all of the manual functionality of a DSLR. I've been very impressed with the optics and image quality from it. It's 10.1mp, has a 28-200 lens with vibration reduction, shoots up to 6400 iso with minimal noise, and stops down to f2.8. It's not cheap as far as point-and-shoot cameras go, but it's well worth the money to have a camera that comes very close to a DSLR that'll fit in your pocket.

It also shoots video at 720p and so far the video quality and sound quality have been great, not exactly professional quality but for a little P&S camera it's far exceed my expectations...

Here's a picture I shot last week up in Michigan, this is straight out of the camera, all I did was resize it in Photoshop.

Nice shot. Is this what you got?
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix...ZLRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319482555&sr=8-1

Colin

It really depends on what you're going to be doing with the camera, and what your expectations are. If you feel that you're going to actually "get into" photography, then a point & shoot isn't going to cut it.

There is a catagory of camera known as a "Bridge" or "Superzoom" camera. While still in the catagory of "point & shoot" cameras, they offer great zoom capabilities, but you can't change the lens on them, and they all have small sensors, which is their limiting factor.

Before jumping into a full-on DSLR, consider the millions of people who have bought these, only to complain about the size and weight, and therefore never take them out, and therefore never "get the shot".

In the last couple of years, a new type of camera has been developed, called the "Micro Four Thirds" camera. Makers are: Panasonic, Olympus and Sony. They are essentially a DSLR with the entire mirror removed, which has allowed manufacturers to make them smaller and lighter (lenses too), and yet retain a large sensor. The sensors are slightly smaller than a DSLR, but 10 times the size of a point & shoot. Image quality is pretty much equivilant of DSLRs, but a DSLR will have a small edge in fast-action situations (sports), and low light.

I recently bought the new Panasonic G3, with 14-45, 100-300, and the 20mm/1.7 prime lens. That little 20mm lens changed my life. It allows for shallow depth of field, and does very well in low light.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this camera, but if you don't want the hassle of changing lenses, then a Bridge camera might be a good fit.

Attachments

• P1000414.JPG
    P1000414.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 77
  • P1000512.JPG
    P1000512.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 83
  • P1000560.JPG
    P1000560.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 106
  • P1000611.jpg
    P1000611.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 96
  • P1000584 B&W.jpg
    P1000584 B&W.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

signmeup

I get great action shots by shooting video and grabbing single frames for prints. Here's a single frame from a 1080P video from the SX230.

Attachments

• CobraFinished-050sm.jpg
    CobraFinished-050sm.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 88

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I recently got one of those new Chinese cameras...... One Too Long.

I need to work with it some more. The highlights are coming out a little too dull, which is creating some odd color shift.:help

Attachments

• shoots222-1230889259.jpg
    shoots222-1230889259.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 77
Check out KenRockwell.com. He has tons of reviews and brakes them down by cost and what you are looking for. I have a Nikon D80 DSLR and a Cannon Point and Shoot. I got them both after reading reviews on Ken's sight and he was spot on on both of them.