• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a new digital camera...help!

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
the thing that the Canon point-and-shoot cameras excel at better than any others is their hardware-based Image Stabilization (IS). Video is better because of it and hand-held shots are always a little crisper...

njshorts

if you decide that you're interested in a used canon (it's been a great camera), i'm selling a 20d... replaced it with a 7d.

grafixemporium

That Panasonic G3 looks very enticing! I haven't read or heard anything at all on the micro 4/3 cameras. I am ready to upgrade from my crappy canon point and shoot. Anyone else have any experience with these?

2NinerNiner2

Howdy,

Ever since I got a phone that had a 5+ MP camera built it, I haven't carried a separate one :)

Depends upon what kind of photos you want to take; this is plenty for what I require :) ... gave my Nikon Coolpix S6100 to the "former Mrs. Me".

Cheers!
Lyle

visual800

I went on a journey to seek out the best point and shoot because:
a. I have no desire to carry around a 6lb camera with a lens the size of a wheel
b. I wanted something simple
c. something that takes GREAT PICS even if its a point and shoot

I found it. Canon SR 95. This thing is absolutely awesome and its small and compact. I first learned about on google how others were talking and then on my cousins facebook i noticed her pics were outstanding. Matter of fact so outstanding I thought she took them with a slr camera.....when she told me it was the canon I was sold and got me one.

Now is the best time for you to get one because canon just came out with the Canon S100 and the S95 has dropped in price. The only difference I could see is their video has improved. i dont do video on the camera so I dont care about that. The S95 dropped from $400 down to $325. The new S100 is about $425. The pics below is what was taken with the S95 point and shoot

6279077135_7fbe4fee14.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0611 by visual800, on Flickr
6279080489_0a45c7efe1.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0500 by visual800, on Flickr
6279081743_129c888dbb.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0798 by visual800, on Flickr

visual800

now that is a damn zoom! nope it wont do that. I did a google vs since you mentioned that camera (which till now never heard of) and most blog sites (with actual humans chose the S95) however all stores sites (best buy, walmart) chose yours LOL...Cause its higher in price. I hate retail LOLOL

awesome zoom dude I gotta say i wish I had that!

Zul

For a compact camera, the Canon S95 is the best. I was seriously considering it but then I opted for an interchangeable lens compact camera (new sorta hybrid between DSLR and P&S - you can use different lenses but the camera body itself is compact P&S size). Checked out a few and decided on the Sony NEX-3, which was on special as the NEX-5 (only difference is 1080 HD vid as opposed to 720). I paid about $450 CAD. Love it, great camera for an amateur shutterbug and (relatively) compact size for travel.

Joe Diaz

Howdy,

Ever since I got a phone that had a 5+ MP camera built it, I haven't carried a separate one :)

Depends upon what kind of photos you want to take; this is plenty for what I require :) ... gave my Nikon Coolpix S6100 to the "former Mrs. Me".

Cheers!
Lyle

I feel the same way. I like the fact that I have my big boy camera in case I want to go out and take some really nice shots. My canon can take photos that my cellphone will never be able to capture, but it's unrealistic to expect someone to tote something like that around all day everyday. My cellphone is great for capturing memories at a moments notice, and it does a pretty good job.