• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a new laptop.. suggestions?

cdiesel

Well, I think someone (NOT me!) spilled something on my laptop and killed it the other day. It's a couple years old, so it's time for a new one anyways. I've always bought Dells for laptops, and have been pretty happy with them. I've never actually had any major problems (the only thing I can think of is the sound card went out on this one about six months ago), so I'm not at all opposed to buying another. The only problem I have with another Dell is looking at their site, all the units seem to be at least 6-8 months old already. I hate to buy a "new" machine and have it already be out of date.
It'll primarily be used for email and the web, but I do a couple hours of design work (Corel, Illy &Photoshop) a week at home. I was using a dual core machine at 1.8Ghz I believe with 3GB of RAM and it was acceptable for the small amount of designing I do on it.
One thing I saw on the Dell site that looked cool was the Mini 9, whatever that is. A few of the models came with the Mini 9 for like $99. I'm doing more and more traveling, and my old laptop is pretty heavy. I would prefer either a lightweight machine or something like a larger more powerful machine and an additional Mini 9 for traveling.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

NazGraphics

hello
all my pc's and laptops are from HP like them alot the have the best customer support so u want go wrong

if you like look in to this new lap
HP HDX
Starting at specs:
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6400
2GB memory
250GB hard drive
512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW
Optional Blu-ray, Integrated HDTV Tuner

Wireless-N card
Integrated webcam, fingerprint reader, & microphone
full-size numeric keypad
ENERGY STAR® qualified

Jim Doggett

AspireOne, from Acer ... under $300 at Walmart, and it comes with XP! (I hate Vista)

Just get an externa DVD writer and you're good to go.

Best, Jim