• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a print vinyl that NO light shines through

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
This customer wants some blockout window graphics....and even grey backed vinyl we use allows too much light. He wants none. Any suggestions?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's gonna create a lotta heat, but most likely any opaque vinyl as a base coat and then go over it with a grey back adhesive vinyl. Hope this doesn't face any sunlight.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
It's gonna create a lotta heat, but most likely any opaque vinyl as a base coat and then go over it with a grey back adhesive vinyl. Hope this doesn't face any sunlight.
DIRECT FACING WEST. I told them it could be an issue.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't risk it. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but the insurance company isn't gonna like that kinda answer the day after.

Bly

We just needed a vinyl like that with black adhesive - one of our suppliers sells Ritrama - they have a couple of black adhesive varieties.
We got a momomeric that did the job. It wouldn't print on latex which was weird so had to use the eco sol and lam them.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Before we got our printer we would get printed graphics from Gregory that was on a 3M material with black glue - we used it over graphics that could not be removed. Can't remember the series number but it did hold up well and seemed to be 100% opaque.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Black backed vinyl on windows IS NOT WHAT YOU SHOULD DO!!! I personally have done this and had the windows ALL crack. You can get block out vinyl without a black adhesive, you should use that instead.

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

2B

These windows are in TX, and facing West?.....
would really be cautious about applying full coverage graphics directly to the window.

I would suggest block out curtains, like hotel/ motels.
you can still apply graphics, but do not rely on the applied graphics to block out the sun

ikarasu

https://www.aslan-schwarz.com/en/products/windowblock-aslan-dfp-25-11901sp.html

We used this stuff. It's printable, but the customer just wanted a blockout and it worked great.

It's white vinyl with a black layer Inbetween more white vinyl / white glue. It's super opaque and helps keep their warehouses and offices cool without building up a lot of heat like black would.

It's been our go to for second surface prints now also - since it's so opaque there's no shadowing or tape see through.