• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a printer that prints white on clear

artofacks1

Looking for a digital printer that can print white on clear and full color on top.

Please recommend a printer I can buy. I currently own the edge fx and would like to move to something I can stock less colors.

pdf.jpg

woolly

you might already have the best printer for the job i see. i run a white ink roland and to be honest its a pain to keep on top of the extra maintenance required results are really just above ok, not opaque enough in some cases, then if full colour on top you will run in to total ink load failure on some materials, but in our instance it more than pays it way, can't comment much on uv printers but would be possibly a better bet, running solvent white inks will increase the overall ink usage due to extra cleaning etc. and must be taken into consideration.
have often wished i had a edge in my line up i used a roland colourcam for years and thermal can not be beaten on some jobs, i nearly bought a summa but could not see i would overcome the banding on larger spot colour stuff where the edge wins but then i needed to print 14 in in one go, so back to inkjet.
really like the idea of a uv flatbed as i have a flat bed cutter and the advantages of the media staying still soon become apparent.

enjoy

CL Visual

I have a mutoh 1628ur up for sale. It's a UV roll to roll printer that has white and varnish. I use it primarily for white print on optically clear window films. About 6 months old. Only selling because I need a faster machine.

Mark H

Looking for a digital printer that can print white on clear and full color on top.

Please recommend a printer I can buy. I currently own the edge fx and would like to move to something I can stock less colors.

View attachment 138611
I have a Mimaki UV flatbed & have been backprinting clear acrylic for cabinet signs, they look great. I print primer, color, white, white color

burgmurk

White ink is awful to work with, especially if you only use it occasionally (it's notorious for clogging). Unless my printer was running non-stop, printing white every day... i'd get someone else to print those rare jobs.
On the other hand, if nobody else in town has the technology, you can be the 'white guy', which might just justify the spend.
Apparently the new HP latex flatbed uses a much improved white ink, but that's a fairly big ticket machine, and it's still a bit new to have any real reviews back from the field yet.

AMGearhart

I work with a HP Scitex FB500 and the white ink is a pain. Too easy to clog. And when loaded up, the endless automatic cleaning cycles chew through the box of ink even when nothing is printing. Right now, we have it loaded, but I can't get the light cyan ink out of the tubes, so it is showing up in the white. And when white did print, we never seemed to be able to get it focused well. I kind of inherited this machine, which has had a lot of previous jury-rigging, so I am still learning. Others may have a more positive experience.

DerbyCitySignGuy

White ink is awful to work with, especially if you only use it occasionally (it's notorious for clogging). Unless my printer was running non-stop, printing white every day... i'd get someone else to print those rare jobs.
On the other hand, if nobody else in town has the technology, you can be the 'white guy', which might just justify the spend.
Apparently the new HP latex flatbed uses a much improved white ink, but that's a fairly big ticket machine, and it's still a bit new to have any real reviews back from the field yet.

Accurate statement! White ink contains large amounts of titanium dioxide which has a tendency to settle and cause issues. Even printers with ink recirculators can have problems unless you run white ink frequently. If you do go with a white ink machine, it's definitely worth following burgmurks advice. On days when we don't print white ink (which is pretty rare), on some of the machines we run a white square in the morning and white in the evening, just to make sure we don't have any issues.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

View attachment 138611

I am local to you and I sell the Mimaki UCJV that is a really good white ink machine. I will take you over to Mimaki in Torrance and we can do a demo with your files.