• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a printer that will be safe and oderless

Anup

Looking to get a print and cut that will be safe in my small library at home.

Need it to die cut not just kiss cut and would be great to make Banners & Stickers. If it could print white, even better!
Just last week I took the demo of Epson's wide format printers and trust me it was really mind blowing. The prints were orderless and were of high quality. They had a variant in the series which could print 3-4, special colours like white, silver, gold.

Also here in India they are providing 2 years warranty which in life's printhead and every single part converted along with this.

You check with your Epson distribution or sales if these printers are available there too.

Good luck.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just last week I took the demo of Epson's wide format printers and trust me it was really mind blowing. The prints were orderless and were of high quality. They had a variant in the series which could print 3-4, special colours like white, silver, gold.

Also here in India they are providing 2 years warranty which in life's printhead and every single part converted along with this.

You check with your Epson distribution or sales if these printers are available there too.

Good luck.

It's not really about what you can smell or not, but the toxins the inks are putting into the air. Many companies use things to hide the odors or disguise them. That still doesn't make it suddenly non-harmful. Most likely, you need to research the ink being used more so then the printer. When the printer heats those inks up, is when a lot of damage can happen. Based on the printers you are already using, most anything will not have an odor.

ikarasu

Odorless or not, I wouldn't put a solvent in my house in my library... Especially if you have kids.

The newer inks are more green... But a solvent is a solvent, there's still chemicals in it.

And because no one seems to talk about it.... It's not just the inks. You could get a Latex which is supposed to be all natural / 100% safe...But the vinyl we print on is just as bad, if not worst than solvents.

http://www.safemarkets.org/toxic-chemicals-in-products/pvc/vinyl-the-poison-plastic

Unless you go latex, use only green vinyls such is IJ480... you're still exposing yourself to harmful air pollutants every time you print.

Is it bad enough that having a printer in your wide-opened, likely ventilated shop will harm you? I doubt it... but if you're sitting next to one all day in a small enclosed library, and your kids sitting 2 FT from it watching all his favorite stickers get printed... it might cause some harm you're not aware of.

Anup

Right that odor doesn't hide the toxins, but forgot to mention that Epson's engineer told that their inks are certified for usage in schools and hospitals, though I didn't ask for the certifying agency.

It's not really about what you can smell or not, but the toxins the inks are putting into the air. Many companies use things to hide the odors or disguise them. That still doesn't make it suddenly non-harmful. Most likely, you need to research the ink being used more so then the printer. When the printer heats those inks up, is when a lot of damage can happen. Based on the printers you are already using, most anything will not have an odor.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Right that odor doesn't hide the toxins, but forgot to mention that Epson's engineer told that their inks are certified for usage in schools and hospitals, though I didn't ask for the certifying agency.

Does that mean they are safe in schools and hospitals AFTER they have dried and cured, then laminated or while the printing process is taking place where things are being heated up to accept inks and dry ?? You realize after printing, when inks are drying they are simply passing their binders into the air to make a seal of ink to substrate ?? There is pre heat, print and post heat which are 3 steps ininvolved to male this whole process work.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It's probably as safe as the stuff used to clean the bathroom or kitchen but it is an industrial process that does not really belong in a home.

Now if you really need a safe print & cut home based system.
crayon-clipart-scissors.jpg

Anup

Does that mean they are safe in schools and hospitals AFTER they have dried and cured, then laminated or while the printing process is taking place where things are being heated up to accept inks and dry ?? You realize after printing, when inks are drying they are simply passing their binders into the air to make a seal of ink to substrate ?? There is pre heat, print and post heat which are 3 steps ininvolved to male this whole process work.
yes, you have a valid point. I was told by the Technician that they would provide certifications for Epson inks which are actually green. I think he meant that its the least toxic thing so far in eco solvent terms. Also they provide 3 years Indoor warranty for ink and it doesnt need the lamination.

But yea, even I would think twice before taking that printer to home.

Johnny Best

Its the VOC in the ink that is dangerous to humans. That is heavier than air and stays close to the ground. And I hope you know that the "eco" name on the inks have nothing to do with being environmentally safer, it stands for economy.

Your car is safe for you sitting in your garage, but shut the door and windows and turn the car on and let it run while you sit in it and pretty soon you will be having lunch with an angels. Even if you have an "eco"boost engine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What about if you take the car out and put fuel in it, that wasn't meant for it, like a third party gasoline duplicate ?? It is cheaper..... and it does work for a while. How 'bout you have a few nips and get in it ?? Same car, same driver, just altered the contents a little, to make it feel good. Could end in a bad experience.

Didn't realize having a vehicle and a printer were so much alike.

Hey, those steel tires will last forever and don't cost near as much as the rubber ones. I'll take four. How do they do in the snow ??

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I hope you know that the "eco" name on the inks have nothing to do with being environmentally safer, it stands for economy.

Do you have a source for this claim? I'm curious as I can't find one.
Every search appears to indicate that they lower in hazardous solvents compared to traditional inks, hence the environmental aspect of "eco".

damonCA21

Hi,
was wondering if the new bn2-20 with Eco-Sol MAX 2 inks (https://www.rolanddga.com/products/inks/eco-sol-max-metallic-ink-printing/features) make a difference indoors? I am considering the new bn2-20. I also have a small space. I could also use a window fan to exhaust any air in office. Still a bad idea?

Thanks,
It will be ok in a small space, but the fan would need to be at floor level. if you get a couple of powerful fans you can duct them up to the window for the outlet.

One of my customers does this in a small back office room. They have the two fans venting directly outside at floor level and you hardly get any ink smell.
It does also depend how much you are printing. If its for occasional jobs then its ok, if its going to be running 8 hours a day then I wouldn't want to have it in there

spb

✨鞄➕
The life of a sign printer is a life of danger and smelly chemicals, so...absolutely not