Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need a quick response about applying wrap film

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by gabagoo, May 20, 2011.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I have to basically apply a small area along the rear of a ford escape which goes over the wheel wells a bit and then over the tail light. I have the graphic ready but now sit here and wonder if I should use premask. I am assuming the rigidity of premask will make application difficult especially where I need the material to bend and go over strange ridges. I probably answered my own question but am having doubts..

Am I correct? soft squeegee of course and a heat gun

Tags:
  2. mikey-Oh

mikey-Oh Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2009
    okc
    If it's laminated, there's probably no real reason to premask... unless the temp's in the 100's in Ontario :Big Laugh

3. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Occasionally....actually never!!!! OK thanks man, i figured that

4. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    i agree no mask at all.

5. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    OK it is working well but I never really though about this issue. I have seen plenty of wraps but never really noticed this... What do you do where the graphic goes over two different body panels that never seperate or open up. Do I cut it and jam the vinyl in the sides or leave it going right over the gap?

6. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    cut and jam would be my guess

7. HulkSmash

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Cut and tuck. leaving it allows dirt to get behind it causing the rest of the wrap to possibly come up.

8. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    yes...common sense takes over when you stare at it long enough. I have never done something like this before. I have put wrap material and lam on the sides of a truck like a photo or logo but never in the true sense of wrapping. Holy cow I have a lot respect for you pros. I am just doing this rear quarter panel with a spot orange amd I cant beleive how much lifting and reapplying it takes...mind you theres all sorts of issues in this area.
    I got to figure out how to charge for this, it takes a long time...... now off to the second side
    here is a couple of pics. the side graphics I had to digitally print completely as the colours dont exist in pre made vinyl

Attached Files:

9. HulkSmash

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    with experience that should not take longer than 45 minutes to an hr. you'll get there :)

By the way from the pictures looks like you're doing a stellar job.

10. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    yea well on close inspection as the orange nears the bottom it is far from stellar. The vinyl by that point is so worn out from lifting and pulling and lifting it is really hard to get it down without some form of crease happening. I am at the bottom on the other side now and the same thing seems to happen. there must be a secret to doing the the last 2 inches of vinyl. At least it is at the bottom and sort of curved towards the underside.
    I am to old for this crawling around stuff. I have 2 more of these escapes to do and am considering calling in a seasoned pro to put that orange down. Might be worth it

11. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I found instead of using a soft squeegee that last 2 inches or so that my finger worked a lot better. It is basically on the underside of the vehicle and hell if I am redoing all that...no way no how lol

have great weekend guys, I'm outa here!!!1

12. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Almost all the ladies I've installed for have said that the last 2 inches are crucial! Practicing on customer's cars will bite you in the arse. This should have been experimented with long prior. From what you say, expect lifting on the edges real soon, probably before it leaves. AND, this also takes into account that you haven't yet mentioned the vinyl/lam/ink/temps/prep,postheat etc.

13. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario

No it's down fine. It's 3m IJ 180 with the 3m IJ laminate. It is the real wrap material and I am not exactly a novice at vinyl installation (20 plus years) I just have never wanted to do this end of the business.