• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need a quick response about applying wrap film

gabagoo

I have to basically apply a small area along the rear of a ford escape which goes over the wheel wells a bit and then over the tail light. I have the graphic ready but now sit here and wonder if I should use premask. I am assuming the rigidity of premask will make application difficult especially where I need the material to bend and go over strange ridges. I probably answered my own question but am having doubts..

Am I correct? soft squeegee of course and a heat gun

mikey-Oh

If it's laminated, there's probably no real reason to premask... unless the temp's in the 100's in Ontario :Big Laugh

gabagoo

OK it is working well but I never really though about this issue. I have seen plenty of wraps but never really noticed this... What do you do where the graphic goes over two different body panels that never seperate or open up. Do I cut it and jam the vinyl in the sides or leave it going right over the gap?

HulkSmash

OK it is working well but I never really though about this issue. I have seen plenty of wraps but never really noticed this... What do you do where the graphic goes over two different body panels that never seperate or open up. Do I cut it and jam the vinyl in the sides or leave it going right over the gap?

Cut and tuck. leaving it allows dirt to get behind it causing the rest of the wrap to possibly come up.

gabagoo

yes...common sense takes over when you stare at it long enough. I have never done something like this before. I have put wrap material and lam on the sides of a truck like a photo or logo but never in the true sense of wrapping. Holy cow I have a lot respect for you pros. I am just doing this rear quarter panel with a spot orange amd I cant beleive how much lifting and reapplying it takes...mind you theres all sorts of issues in this area.
I got to figure out how to charge for this, it takes a long time...... now off to the second side
here is a couple of pics. the side graphics I had to digitally print completely as the colours dont exist in pre made vinyl

Attachments

• escape1.JPG
    escape1.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 64
  • escape2.JPG
    escape2.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 75

HulkSmash

with experience that should not take longer than 45 minutes to an hr. you'll get there :)

By the way from the pictures looks like you're doing a stellar job.

gabagoo

yea well on close inspection as the orange nears the bottom it is far from stellar. The vinyl by that point is so worn out from lifting and pulling and lifting it is really hard to get it down without some form of crease happening. I am at the bottom on the other side now and the same thing seems to happen. there must be a secret to doing the the last 2 inches of vinyl. At least it is at the bottom and sort of curved towards the underside.
I am to old for this crawling around stuff. I have 2 more of these escapes to do and am considering calling in a seasoned pro to put that orange down. Might be worth it

gabagoo

I found instead of using a soft squeegee that last 2 inches or so that my finger worked a lot better. It is basically on the underside of the vehicle and hell if I am redoing all that...no way no how lol

have great weekend guys, I'm outa here!!!1

CheapVehicleWrap

Almost all the ladies I've installed for have said that the last 2 inches are crucial! Practicing on customer's cars will bite you in the arse. This should have been experimented with long prior. From what you say, expect lifting on the edges real soon, probably before it leaves. AND, this also takes into account that you haven't yet mentioned the vinyl/lam/ink/temps/prep,postheat etc.

gabagoo

Almost all the ladies I've installed for have said that the last 2 inches are crucial! Practicing on customer's cars will bite you in the arse. This should have been experimented with long prior. From what you say, expect lifting on the edges real soon, probably before it leaves. AND, this also takes into account that you haven't yet mentioned the vinyl/lam/ink/temps/prep,postheat etc.

No it's down fine. It's 3m IJ 180 with the 3m IJ laminate. It is the real wrap material and I am not exactly a novice at vinyl installation (20 plus years) I just have never wanted to do this end of the business.