• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a recommendation on software I should use for graphic design and other...

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would see what local classes are offered in your area if you're trying to learn the design software yourself, or you can learn online on websites like Lynda.com. If you have a Roland printer I have heard that Flexi Sign is very intuitive to learn for a beginner.

I would also recommend either hiring a designer or contracting out in the beginning. Less mistakes = less wasted vinyl & more happy customers.

On a side note: ALL of the designers I personally know use primarily Adobe products; a few of them can also use other products like Corel Draw well, but prefer not to.
Also, 99.99% or all artwork we receive here is in EPS/AI/PDF/PSD (Adobe) format (unless they are sending JPEGs or truely junk MS files)

Andy D

That's not harsh, that's reality. Many of us are fighting competition just like this guy daily. The problem is, that they aren't really "competition", they are just under cutting us because to them, sign making is nothing more than putting letters on a substrate. Customers then think that signs are cheap. They disregard good design, branding, etc. This guy will be selling his equipment off to try to recoup money soon because he has no clue what he's doing, but he came here to ask an industry of trained, qualified pros how to do it.

While I agree the the smarter move is to find a job at a sign shop and make all your rookie mistakes on someone else's dime, all I see is a guy trying to better himself and provide for himself
and his family.

I will always choose to help if I can & if I can't or don't like the question I move onto the next post, pissing in someone else's yard won't make mine any greener.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow, what hatred spewing forth, from an honest question to an honest observation. Ya know, both sides are correct. according to the latest polls, one does hafta start somewhere and that's what I guess S101 University is all about.

Most of the people in the know, with experience, with tools, with toys and equipment, with business sense, with a business period........ are always frowned upon when they make a quick, but short accurate remark.

Most people with years or decades of experience under their belts can generally see through the nonsense. Their ability to show the poster the errors in their ways has just been used over and over and over and over and over again with no one ever learning.

• Do you know how many times this exact same subject has come up ??
  • Do you know how many times these same storylines repeat themselves ??
  • Do you know how many times the same people defend each other ??

When someone begins by using the 'search button' and searching through the volumes of information within these walls at S101 University, that is the day I will show interest in them. Laziness should not be rewarded with quick dumb answers. It should be followed up with do your homework, figure some things out for yourself, learn some good habits. For crying out loud, in school and college, what does a student do the most ?? R E A D !! So, do it here. Educate yourself and when you face a real problem, then ask for help.

All you're gonna get on a thread like this is personal preferences. No real reasons. No examples. No nothing. Just a bunch a lip service.

Kinda like what Harrison did with his kids. Now that took courage and real leadership.​

0igo

Wow, what hatred spewing forth, from an honest question to an honest observation. Ya know, both sides are correct. according to the latest polls, one does hafta start somewhere and that's what I guess S101 University is all about.

Most of the people in the know, with experience, with tools, with toys and equipment, with business sense, with a business period........ are always frowned upon when they make a quick, but short accurate remark.

Most people with years or decades of experience under their belts can generally see through the nonsense. Their ability to show the poster the errors in their ways has just been used over and over and over and over and over again with no one ever learning.

• Do you know how many times this exact same subject has come up ??
  • Do you know how many times these same storylines repeat themselves ??
  • Do you know how many times the same people defend each other ??

When someone begins by using the 'search button' and searching through the volumes of information within these walls at S101 University, that is the day I will show interest in them. Laziness should not be rewarded with quick dumb answers. It should be followed up with do your homework, figure some things out for yourself, learn some good habits. For crying out loud, in school and college, what does a student do the most ?? R E A D !! So, do it here. Educate yourself and when you face a real problem, then ask for help.

All you're gonna get on a thread like this is personal preferences. No real reasons. No examples. No nothing. Just a bunch a lip service.
Kinda like what Harrison did with his kids. Now that took courage and real leadership.​

lol gino i don't know whether to take you seriously or not but my answer is yes.

0igo

That's because there are very few of us, and most of us aspire to be of Joe's level. To the op, I wasn't born in this, but I was born an artist. Then trained in both college and the real world working my way up through ****ty shops to awesome shops learning my trade and getting better. Excuse me if I get offended when some guy buys a printer then asks for guidance on materials, pricing and software. If you had any design skills at all, you'd already know the software, that was the clue to me you have no idea what you're doing.

if i had graphic design skills i wouldnt be asking but i dont i am an artist, i draw and paint, thats my trade nothing wrong with trying to learn something new. i am only 24 years old about to have a family like forgive me for asking for advice, i am just trying to better myself and all this hate is just making me smh. like if you dont like a question just skip over it, dont waste your time putting people down, havent you ever watched bambi?

0igo

Just want to thank everyone who has commented on this, i really appreciate all of your comments and advice, i am new to this part of the sign business, but i am determined to learn it. thanks again for everything :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
if i had graphic design skills i wouldnt be asking but i dont i am an artist, i draw and paint, thats my trade nothing wrong with trying to learn something new. i am only 24 years old about to have a family like forgive me for asking for advice, i am just trying to better myself and all this hate is just making me smh. like if you dont like a question just skip over it, dont waste your time putting people down, havent you ever watched bambi?

I thought you said your Dad was the painter in the family and he got you a plotter to augment his business ?? Never heard you say anything about being a sign painter or muralist. While this is about software for a printer you don't have or can operate..... why don't you explain what it is, you really do, then perhaps someone can point you in the direction you want ?? Haven't you ever watched 'To Tell the Truth' or are you playing 'What's My Line' ??

0igo

I thought you said your Dad was the painter in the family and he got you a plotter to augment his business ?? Never heard you say anything about being a sign painter or muralist. While this is about software for a printer you don't have or can operate..... why don't you explain what it is, you really do, then perhaps someone can point you in the direction you want ?? Haven't you ever watched 'To Tell the Truth' or are you playing 'What's My Line' ??

Lol Gino are you still mad I haven't read that long message you sent me?

PRS Bryan

If I was just learning software there is no question that it would be the Adobe products.

There are many reasons, but the one that would make it a no-brainier is that many design professions use the Adobe Suite.

Adobe skills can get you an interview in many design professions. If you know other programs, great, but every employer wants people that know Photoshop and Illustrator.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Lol Gino are you still mad I haven't read that long message you sent me?

No, not at all. Like I said, your answer explained it all, now. That's why I wrote the last post for you. So, what's up with you ??

Chipster35

I have been looking into Vinylmaster Pro. It is like corel draw but made just for sign making and it works great! i've been using the demo to play with it before i spend the money