• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a sandblaster!

amy s.

I live in Springfield, MO and am looking for someone to blast my HDU signs. Anybody have any insights or contacts in this area? The shop I found does a good job but is charging a fortune and the price goes up each time I take a sign in. I have basically the same layout on these signs and I usually have a 4' x 8', no tricky copy, just a pebble blast 3/8". I'm a small independent operator particular about doing quality work, no big time volume here. Would appreciate any suggestions.:banghead: I was directed to a company that blasts trailers one time and they destroyed my signs....small ones, thank God.

washingtonsignguy

Live alittle ways from you, but i can say that i use a big outfit that makes trailers and they use their trailer blaster for my signs and they do great and price is good too. Are they not too excited about blasting the signs for you, cause if they enjoy doing business with you, like mine is, then find the right person to talk to (manager?) about how they need to blast alittle more carefully. In the begining i took scraps in to let them practice, which they much appreciated. They get so used to just blasting away you will need to slow them down and explain to them how easy HDU is and expensive!

amy s.

Live alittle ways from you, but i can say that i use a big outfit that makes trailers and they use their trailer blaster for my signs and they do great and price is good too. Are they not too excited about blasting the signs for you, cause if they enjoy doing business with you, like mine is, then find the right person to talk to (manager?) about how they need to blast alittle more carefully. In the begining i took scraps in to let them practice, which they much appreciated. They get so used to just blasting away you will need to slow them down and explain to them how easy HDU is and expensive!

If you don't mind me asking, what town is your blaster in? I'm desperate to not get raped anymore. I've explained in great detail how foam blasts easily and we need a straight on blast, which this trailer guy said he understood. But then he used too course of sand and too much pressure and the letters had 45 deg angle sides on them in spite of my explanation. The sign co. I'm using started out charging me $65. for a 4' x 8' and now it is over 5 times that amount. Appreciate your input. Anyone else know anyone in SW Missouri. This shop is desperate.

SignManiac

Why not buy your own equipment or rent it? I spent $2k on a used diesel compressor and about a $1k on a 200lb. pressure blaster. Or you can rent one for a day for around $125.

letterman7

According to the yellow pages, there are at least three media blasters right in your area. Check around with them, and talk with monument (headstone) manufacturers. They have a better feel for blasting stuff in general. Or, like Maniac said, purchase your own equipment if you can afford it. You don't need a huge diesel compressor (though it's nice to have) - a large freestanding 220v compressor and a 100lb pressure pot is all you need for the very occasional usage. You just have to learn when to back off and let the compressor catch up!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
they are raising there prices because they finally realized they are losing sign work to you, a middle man.

Charging you $325 to blast the sign instead of having the job themselves for a couple grand, they've seen the light.

OldPaint

once you put together all the equipment, compressor, blasting media, sand tank, area to blast, reclaiming media, proper blasting clothing and breathing apparatus and the time you spend under "the hood"..........$325 is cheap.............

signmeup

once you put together all the equipment, compressor, blasting media, sand tank, area to blast, reclaiming media, proper blasting clothing and breathing apparatus and the time you spend under "the hood"..........$325 is cheap.............
Don't forget to factor in the time required to dig the sand out of your a$$ crack......
Sandblasting is nasty work. Especially on a hot day. Good luck on your quest!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Don't forget to factor in the time required to dig the sand out of your a$$ crack......

That's what duct tape is for. Sure, it's a little tough on the hair, but after two or three times, there's none left to pull out.

OldPaint

iam a lucky guy. my wife works for a big corp that paints industrial plants and water towers.
i needed a sand blaster for a weekend to take the rust off a van roof. i went and borrowed a 185 CFM diesel compressor, a 200 pound sand blaster tank, all i had to buy was the media.
let me tell ya.........aint nothing like having the right equipment!!!!!!! i too all the paint and rust off that dodge van..........in bout 2 hours!!!! then i had to prime and paint it.
now if need something smaller than a vehicle done, i go the main office and use there full sized blasting booth!!!! in fact i was there today.

petrosgraphics

before we bought our own equipment we used a guy that blasted headstones...

all of his equipment was on a trailer, for the times he would have to go to a cemetery..

he would come to the shop and do the blasting....

amy s.

they are raising there prices because they finally realized they are losing sign work to you, a middle man.

Charging you $325 to blast the sign instead of having the job themselves for a couple grand, they've seen the light.

I get that feeling since they ask how much I'm getting for my signs.

zmatalucci

I wouldn't even touch a 4-8 for $300. I make $150 for blasting #4 1.5"digits into a stone.
Your better off buying your own equipment if you think the price is too high.

amy s.

I'm seriously considering it. I've blasted glass and I know, while it takes a certain skill level, it doesn't take a rocket scientist.

Thanks!

amy s.

iam a lucky guy. my wife works for a big corp that paints industrial plants and water towers.
i needed a sand blaster for a weekend to take the rust off a van roof. i went and borrowed a 185 CFM diesel compressor, a 200 pound sand blaster tank, all i had to buy was the media.
let me tell ya.........aint nothing like having the right equipment!!!!!!! i too all the paint and rust off that dodge van..........in bout 2 hours!!!! then i had to prime and paint it.
now if need something smaller than a vehicle done, i go the main office and use there full sized blasting booth!!!! in fact i was there today.
Lucky you.

signmeup

I know this thread is old but have you considered outsourcing the project to one of the MM's on this site?