• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Advice : Matte Vinyl with Gradient Print (Bad Result)

andysu286

Hi Everyone,

I need advice on how to print gradient to make it to a better quality instead spoty quality print. (Image below-background) Had to cover up the artwork for customer. Also I have done the research on google, but doesn't seen to solve the issue.

Printer: Roland VP-540i
RIP Software: Roland Versaworks latest version.
Media: Briteline Matte Vinyl

Below's the Process of how I made the print file:
1. I have a template in photoshop, so I copy the art work from AI to PS.
2. After adjust the position, I save-as "Tiff" file from PS.
3. I open the tiff file in AI, and position the cut line.
4. save as .eps (AI setting in attachment)
5. Run Versaworks and print. (Printer setting in attachment)

AI: Adobe Illustrator
PS: Photoshop

I have tired to use different color profile, "Roland MCVP" (color seems more saturated), Default Versaworks "Genuine Vinyl 1" (Color seems fine, but still spoty) and Avery MPI1005 color profile (Similar result as Genuine Vinyl 1).

I have print with or without heater on, If its on I set the temp at 42C - 42C.

I have tried to save as max quality JPEG in PS and same result.

I have called the Grimco tech help, Nano. He's helpful but still not sure what is wrong.

I also print with other material from 3M, Avery, both are glossy finish but results were great, crisp and vibrant color, no spoty.

If anyone has the same problem, please comment or any suggestions would be great, I would hate to waste the roll.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Andy

Attachments

• Printer Setting.jpg
    Printer Setting.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 312
  • AI Setting.jpg
    AI Setting.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 288
  • Background.jpg
    Background.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 273
What do you see in Photoshop when you zoom in to full size? Are you seeing the same spottiness, or does it look ok? Then, once you pull it into AI, and zoom in are you seeing any spottiness at full size? If both checkout, then maybe it's the printer, but the way that it was built sounds like that could be the culprit. Here is an article about how to prevent banding in gradients, but I'm not so sure this is the same issue. I'll post it below, just in case, but I'd venture to say it is the PS, AI interchange that may be a bit buggy.

http://www.bannerstanddeals.com/how-to-prevent-gradients-from-banding/

andysu286

What do you see in Photoshop when you zoom in to full size? Are you seeing the same spottiness, or does it look ok? Then, once you pull it into AI, and zoom in are you seeing any spottiness at full size? If both checkout, then maybe it's the printer, but the way that it was built sounds like that could be the culprit. Here is an article about how to prevent banding in gradients, but I'm not so sure this is the same issue. I'll post it below, just in case, but I'd venture to say it is the PS, AI interchange that may be a bit buggy.

http://www.bannerstanddeals.com/how-to-prevent-gradients-from-banding/

First of all, Thank you for taking your time and reply the post, BannerStandDeals.

I read the article, wasn't really finding a way to solve the issue.

I have zoomed in the PS to 500% looks fine, but when I zoomed in at 600% you can see the background starting to pixelated. And for the AI I zoomed all the way in to the limit 6400%, still smoothing as 100% zoom.

I have attach the images.

attachment.php
PS 500% zoom
attachment.php
PS 600% zoom
attachment.php
AI 6400% zoom

Attachments

• PS zoom 500%.jpg
    PS zoom 500%.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 347
  • PS zoom 600%.jpg
    PS zoom 600%.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 274
  • AI Zoom 6400%.jpg
    AI Zoom 6400%.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 248

rjssigns

For large areas how you build your gradient is important. Only time I use the Gradient tool is for small areas. For everything else I build my gradients using the Blend tool. You need to set up your distance between colors though. You can't build a small gradient then scale it.

andysu286

For large areas how you build your gradient is important. Only time I use the Gradient tool is for small areas. For everything else I build my gradients using the Blend tool. You need to set up your distance between colors though. You can't build a small gradient then scale it.
Thank you, I will try your method out.

If you can print this great on good quality vinyl, but not on cheap grimco house brand....There's your answer.

Often the cheap stuff is just that, cheap.