• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Advice on a Printer Purchase....

Hammer

New to the site! (first post)

This site came highly recommended by a local sign shop that I stopped in to talk to but he was pretty opinionated towards the equipment he had so I am looking for some outside input/advice.

I bought a used Roland GX24 many many years ago off eBay as a new personal hobby and it has been a work horse. What started out as a hobby has turned into a small business on the side to make some extra money.

I am at the point of considering buying a printer (hopefully used). Everything I currently do is up to 2' and if/when needed I simply add a seem. I am not opposed to a bigger machine other than space available in my basement shop (very limited).

Some of the main repeat customers that I would like to utilize a printer for are:

A local R/C club that I have been making awards for on 6 x 12 aluminum license plates with vinyl and would like the ability to print directly.

Real estate signs, Name Riders, and Directionals on 18 x 24 Plasticore.

Also a local archery club has me making arrow wraps and thought it would be cool to offer customized wraps with names or pictures.

I have been looking and reading enough to confuse myself. The MUTOH PrismJET VJ24 Sure does sell itself as the industry leader and has me thinking it's what I should be looking for but it would be very easy to talk me into something different.

Any and all comments would be GREATLY appreciated!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion, you don't need anything. Unless you have money to burn, you don't show 1/20th of enough volume to substantiate a printer..... anyway, not as a business move.

Hammer

Understood but I cannot offer a service that I don't have available and being I have some regular steady business for a printer I am leaps and bounds ahead somebody that buys a machine and THEN goes looking for business.

so back on topic, what will a roll to roll do for me versus a machine that will print on flat substrate and what would that machine be called?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Understood but I cannot offer a service that I don't have available and being I have some regular steady business for a printer I am leaps and bounds ahead somebody that buys a machine and THEN goes looking for business.

so back on topic, what will a roll to roll do for me versus a machine that will print on flat substrate and what would that machine be called?

Sounds like it went from a part time hobby thing to a full line of work. Having a few hours worth of work, hardly justifies getting equipment you already said you don't really have any room for in your basement. This is hardly leaps and bounds in any field. Once you have 30 hours or so of printing needs a week, I would not consider such a purchase. Unfortunately, it's very hard to talk to someone who doesn't listen, so suffice it to say, get whatever your heart desires, since you are bent on getting something..... as you said, back on topic.

For a flatbed, you're gonna need in the vicinity of 16' x 25' spot and installing it will be hard going down your cellar steps. A roll to roll also needs ample space front, back and the side where the inks go in. Also, with these printers, you're gonna have to look into some serious ventilation and proper insurance, cause if your insurance company catches you with something like this hidden away in your basement, they aren't gonna insure you any longer.

If you're working out of your basement, you're technically not set up to do this legally in most cases with big printers.

I would go roll fed. Your going to be able to produce a lot of different products off the one mahine then you would with a flatbed. HP Latex are pretty plug and play these days. Print on almost anything and excellent quality. I would look into these.

With that being said I believe everything Gino has said so far is pretty spot on. If I were you, which I'm not, I would keep doing what I'm doing and outsourcing what little I get that I can't. Outsourcing doesn't mean give the job to someone else. If you can lam and trim just have them print for you and you finish it. I get three to 10 orders a year for CNC aluminum signs. I'm not putting a CNC machine in my shop though and I still win those jobs.

Hammer

I would go roll fed. Your going to be able to produce a lot of different products off the one mahine then you would with a flatbed. HP Latex are pretty plug and play these days. Print on almost anything and excellent quality. I would look into these.

Thank You. Finally a 'positive' reply.

Gets pretty tiring being told that I "don't listen"... I asked for advice on buying a machine not reasons why I shouldn't.

I am looking to expand my side business so that I have more to offer and maybe someday have my own shop and finally be able to work for myself. What does that have to do with what my insurance company is going to say, or how much work I should have lined up BEFORE I consider buying a used machine, or how much space I have in my basement?

Gotta' be honest, I really don't have a very good feeling about this forum. The very FIRST reply to my 'first' post was negative, followed by more negative posts, and then to top it off more negative remarks. I am a newbie looking for advice on which machine to buy. That's all.

J Hill Designs

The very FIRST reply to my 'first' post was negative.

well, if you want to print directly to aluminum blanks, a roll to roll printer is out...

so you think my post was negative? good luck printing directly to aluminum with your roll to roll then :thumb:

if you cant keep the printer running DAILY you shouldnt get one. honest truth. I HAD a used printer, it was a headache. I now outsource.

reQ

Don't listen to negative people! If i would be you, i would go big and buy a flatbed. I think you will make killing selling license plates that are printed direct. Very handy, i wish i would have a flatbed and could print plates, but i have to struggle with roll-roll printer right now.

fozzie

My advice would be to go to the ISA sign expo in April in las Vegas.

Spend a couple days and see all printers, equipment, etc. Talk to various vendors about what would work best for you. It will be eye opening and may steer you in totally new directions.

Go on the cheap (cheap air fare, cheap hotels, cheap meals). Might be the best $400-$500 you ever spent.

Hammer

so you think my post was negative? good luck printing directly to aluminum with your roll to roll then :thumb:

REALLY???

Is there really any question?? Even after pointing out that you are NOT helping with advice on a machine purchase you once again tell me why not too. You just don't get it do you??....

Don't listen to negative people! If i would be you, i would go big and buy a flatbed. I think you will make killing selling license plates that are printed direct. Very handy, i wish i would have a flatbed and could print plates, but i have to struggle with roll-roll printer right now.
Thank you for your opinion!

It looks like my options are a flatbed or a roll to roll. If I understand the difference between the two the flatbed prints on a hard flat surface while a roll to roll is more like a printer printing on vinyl like my cutter uses but probably a special vinyl right?

I am leaning towards a roll to roll for now because I would think that I could apply that to the plate when needed (or fall back on my cutter). I think I will have more of a call for banners and peel and sticks (roll to roll right?) Now I question not only which brand but what type of machine. hmmmmm......

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thank You. Finally a 'positive' reply.

Gets pretty tiring being told that I "don't listen"... I asked for advice on buying a machine not reasons why I shouldn't.

I am looking to expand my side business so that I have more to offer and maybe someday have my own shop and finally be able to work for myself. What does that have to do with what my insurance company is going to say, or how much work I should have lined up BEFORE I consider buying a used machine, or how much space I have in my basement?

Gotta' be honest, I really don't have a very good feeling about this forum. The very FIRST reply to my 'first' post was negative, followed by more negative posts, and then to top it off more negative remarks. I am a newbie looking for advice on which machine to buy. That's all.

Ya know, it doesn't take much to open a business...... you're proof of that. You want honesty, try honesty on yourself, first.

You get well thought out answers, but nooooooo, they aren't to your liking, so just call 'em negative. You just wanna expand your side business which according to your own words..... you're not even set up with a business license, insurance or anything else. A responsible person, whether in this business or with a family does things by the law, not outside of it.

Is your business registered ??
Do you claim the business on your taxes ??
Do you collect sales tax ??
Do you have a license for that ??
Does your insurance know you have a part time business set up in your basement ??
Do your customers know you just pocket the money and tell business to go fug itself ??

You'll just say this is more negativity, but this post is NOT for you. Don't worry about my negativity, cause it's very negative, but not intended for you. It's geared towards anyone else wondering about the same things when starting up a business, so they at least have a chance to see reason and not some boneheads idea of screwing a real sign shop locally and going off 1/2 a$$ed and doing what you're doing.

Your kind come and go by the 100's and it's such a shame to see someone like you fail, because you won't listen. Now I'm beginning to wonder if this is indeed your house or your parents with the teenage attitude you sport around. :rolleyes:

reQ

Alright... now being more serious. Just answering your question...

- Used Roland SP300 $3500-$4000 (Might find cheaper ones)

But as mentioned above - used machines are USED, so if it brakes on you you might end up spending good chunk of money to fix it. But in you situation, i can not justify buying brand new printer for 15-25k Unless you have LOTS of printing to do.

Hammer

My advice would be to go to the ISA sign expo in April in las Vegas.

Spend a couple days and see all printers, equipment, etc. Talk to various vendors about what would work best for you. It will be eye opening and may steer you in totally new directions.

Go on the cheap (cheap air fare, cheap hotels, cheap meals). Might be the best $400-$500 you ever spent.
GREAT thought!

I am going to give that one some serious thought. AND... run it by my wife of course! LOL

Hammer

WOW!
I think I hit a nerve or somebody is having a bad day....

YES to all you questions.
Legal licensed LLC
Insured
Bonded
File and pay my taxes
and on and on and on.

If you don't have an opinion on "WHAT TYPE OF MACHINE" or "WHAT BRAND" to get.

PLEEEEASE just go away and bother somebody else....

Sign Works

I would go with a Roland printer, here take a look, 12K - 60K you decide which best suits your needs, don't forget the laminator, media, ink and software and a location large enough to accomodate new equipement.

http://www.rolanddga.com/

Oops, forgot about the BN-20 ... Only 8.5K

Hammer

LMAO!

Your too funny! wait a minute.... your not serious are you??

Would it be too much to ask a simple question? Why are you even in the newbie section?? Is this your way of trying to get rid of your competition? Do you all feel threatened? This section is for "newbies" we 'newbies are all going to have simple, maybe dumb sounding questions to all of you KINGS of your industry who obviously cannot be bothered with questions that are beneath you.

You make it sound like you need 20k-50k to even THINK about cutting a piece of vinyl. I get the feeling that your threatened by newbies like myself that can buy a used cutter for under 1K buy a couple rolls of vinyl and do the EXACT thing that you do and for some reason you have 100K invested in equipment, software, and buildings

Don't forget that there was a day that you printed or cut your first piece of vinyl and now for some reason you think that you are obviously better than the rest of us.

If your intentions are to drive away anyone that wants to get into the industry I have news for you. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!

I will be deleting this site from my PC shortly and doing what I can to save others from the obvious beat down that is given out here.

What a waste of time your site has become.....

reQ

I get the feeling that your threatened by newbies like myself that can buy a used cutter for under 1K buy a couple rolls of vinyl and do the EXACT thing that you do and for some reason you have 100K invested in equipment, software, and buildings

EXACTLY!:goodpost: