• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need advice on BASIC setup to print SMALL car magnets. Thanks!

dgruszka

I am new to the forum, printing, decals, magnets, etc. I have used the search function but did not come up with the answers I was looking for.
I have an idea that I would like to make into car magnets. I would like to try and sell these so they need to look good. They would be rectangular like business cards but about half the size, have anywhere from 1 to 4 solid colors per magnet (no gradients). There are about 50 variations I would be making depending on demand. They need to be able to stand up to weather.
Since the designs are very simple and the shapes are extremely basic I want to know what type of equipment is absolutely necessary and what is not. I have read a few posts about people simply using an inkjet printer and cutting by hand but it was always for indoor use.
Can I make quality, simple outdoor car magnets with some magnetic sheets, an inkjet printer, the appropriate ink for outdoor use and lamination? Am I oversimplifying it? Is there a resource where I can read about this specific topic? If you like, be specific about ink types, printers, lamination, magnetic paper, etc?
Like I said this is an extremely simple concept but I feel it has an audience. I’m just trying to streamline the startup time and cost and avoid some trial and error.
Thanks in advance!

MikePro

desktop printer, mailing label material from Office Max, and magnet material from Hobby Lobby.

if you want to spend money, a Gerber Edge, and whatever materials whomever you buy it from (can also laminate with clear spray paint), will fulfill your needs.
...otherwise, outsource to a sign guy in your area until you actually find enough demand for your product to justify getting into printing your own... what was it again? 4 inch car magnets?

GoodPeopleFlags

You'd be better off outsourcing them. You'll need to spend a few $1000 on software and hardware to get started and you'd have to sell ALOT of little magnetics to pay for the equipment before you start seeing a profit. Outsource them until you make enough money to buy the PROPER equipment.

MikePro

lol, most definately :)
i'd also argue that its more advice than most people get on their first post.

dgruszka,
something to look into that might look cool... magnet material, cast 3M vinyl in stock colors, and doming epoxy to give it a nice candy-coated look.

Mainframe

If you have in fact test marketed your product & are sure this will go, I would recommend a Roland SP 300 printer/cutter, a 30" big squeegee, & a purple ruler with a metal edge for cutting, this is the minimum set up you will need. The big squeegee is for laminating your prints so they will last outdoors. If you have not test marketed the product you are wanting to sell I would hold off & have some made, you could set the file up & have some lam prints made & install them on your own magnetic material for a test & experience. As you go & make money, you will need a much better cutter & possibly a laminator if you purchase a printer, which will cost you some serious money (around 12,500 I believe)
Good luck!

W

wetgravy

And they will look like you printed them on a desktop printer, with mailing label material from Office Max and magnet material from Hobby Lobby.

depends on the material, back in the day I found a plastic label material for laser printers, printed on a color laser printer in my shop. Looked fantastic, and was only slightly more expensive than regular label material ... had the most agressive adhesive I have used though. (ahh the days when I would tag exterior surfaces with silly graphics ... I do miss them.) Haven't seen that material in about 4 or 5 years now.

jiarby

Gang up your jobs to fit a 12x24 sheet...288sqin

Half a business card is 2" x 1.75", or 3.5sqin.
You can gang up 80 of so of these on a single "normal sized" vechicle magnet.
(Normal Vehicle Magnet = 30mil Magnum Magnetic, Solvent Ink, Vinyl Digital Print, Laminated)

All you have to do is buy a good steel straight edge, a cutting mat, and a Stanley blade knife with a box of spare blades..

So gang up your designs, Buy a set of REAL vehicle magnets from a pro, and cut them up yourself.

TheSnowman

Sub it, Sub it, Sub it!!!! No reason to buy the equipment for a startup focused on one thing when there are people all over printing at just above their cost.