• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Advice on routing sign foam...

Kottwitz-Graphics

I am working on a "sample" / gift for my brother in law who owns a tattoo shop (and has done more than his fair share for me and my wife), and I am routing his logo out of an off cut piece of signfoam 4. There is some fine copy, and inside one of the letters it snapped off while routing (perhaps from too fast of a feed rate/depth)... The damage is done, and now I am thinking about ways to fix.

How would be the best way to fix it. My first thought was mix up some bondo and apply into the center of the letter, and decrease the feed rate and depth, and re route that area, but I am wondering if there is something better to use...Perhaps some west systems epoxy. (I have had good luck with west systems epoxy in the past bonding steel structures inside sign foam)....

Any help or ideas is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

DSC

We use bondo as well, but the only issue we normally have is that is sands/cuts smoother than the primed foam.

This is good too, because you don't have to fill the entire letter cavity, just enough to get it together and then re route..

If you can deal with that than you should be good. We have tried a few ways and that seems to be our go to..

We tend to sand things pretty well here so the texture difference is not noticeable..

Just a heads up .. If you do it right, you won't be able to tell.

Good Luck!

Kottwitz-Graphics

Thanks. I tried the bondo, and it worked perfectly. The tips that broke out were so fine, you won't see a color difference. I ran the router 1/2 speed, with 4 passes, as opposed to a single pass.