• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need advice on subimation printers / printing

gieseguy

thanks for all the input guys. yeah it a special type product. Most of this would have a powder coat finish so the samples were on stock sheet aluminum as we haven't got the stainless in yet. yeah we will be sublimating on powder coated stainless steel. so that is why printing directly wouldn't work unless you have a way of converting the ink to a gas and getting it in the clear coat.

CES020

I've never heard of dye sub working on powder coat. That makes zero sense to me because powder coating has no polyester in it.

You could certainly print other processes on that, but not dye sub that I know of.

WildWestDesigns

I've never heard of dye sub working on powder coat. That makes zero sense to me because powder coating has no polyester in it.

You could certainly print other processes on that, but not dye sub that I know of.

Actually polyester is a type of thermoplastic polymer that could be used for powder coating.

CES020

Actually polyester is a type of thermoplastic polymer that could be used for powder coating.

So you think normal powder coating is dye subbable? I don't, and that's what I was saying. I wasn't saying that it's not some product out there that COULD be used, but that normal, every day powder coating is probably not good for sublimation. He gave no indication in his post that he was using some special polyester based powder coating product that may or may not exist.

WildWestDesigns

So you think normal powder coating is dye subbable? I don't, and that's what I was saying. I wasn't saying that it's not some product out there that COULD be used, but that normal, every day powder coating is probably not good for sublimation. He gave no indication in his post that he was using some special polyester based powder coating product that may or may not exist.

That's not what I was responding to. I was responding to your statement that polyester isn't used in powder coating. When in fact it is an ingredient for some types of powder coating. There are a lot of ingredients that could be used for this process, it depends on the application of the powder coating.

I was not advocating the use of sublimation on powder coated materials however. I have no experience to go one way or the other. I don't know if there is enough polyester or how it's bonded in the powder coat as to if it will allow for good sublimation transfer. I was merely responding to that one statement.

With regard to "normal" powder coating usage. That would depend on what is normal for your application. I don't think it's used for car engine coatings, but it is in jet engines. Far cry from this particular application, but that again was not what was the main point of my post.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

I don't normally use wikipedia for research, but I did a quick search just to make sure that my facts were somewhat kosher. I found this interesting sentence in their "Powder Coating" entry:

Wikipedia said:
The most common polymers used are polyester, polyurethane, polyester-epoxy (known as hybrid), straight epoxy (fusion bonded epoxy) and acrylics.

It's in their "Types of Powder Coating" section.

So apparently, polyester is more common in powder coating then even I thought according to that article. I would imagine that if polyester is a common ingredient in powder coating then you would more then likely find it in normal usage across the gamut. Maybe it is used on the parts for cars, I didn't think it was. Learn something new everyday.

Now, I still don't know how well sublimation will hold with a powder coating on the substrate. All this was in response to this claim here:

Last edited:

CES020

I stand corrected that it doesn't have polyester in it, however, I stand by my belief that you aren't going to get a great result with it. There's a big difference in having polyester in it and being good for sublimation.

50/50 t-shirts have 50% polyester in them, but it doesn't mean they make great t-shirts for sublimation.

Unless it's some special powder coating made for dye subbing, I stand by my belief that I don't think it's going to work well.

I've said from the beginning of this that without knowing the details we wouldn't be able to accurately answer the question. We have no more details now than before, and talking theory about what you could possibly do is pointless without knowing the details.

I can assure you that if normal, every day powder coating was good for dye sub,you'd see powder coated products listed in every dye sub supplier catalog. Ever seen 1 powder coated blank in any sub sub catalog? I haven't.

WildWestDesigns

Once again, I am not advocating dye sub for this particular application as I have no experience with it. I was merely pointing out that powder coating has poly in it. Although sublimation can handle other synthetics as well, poly is just the most often used. It would be interesting to try and see though. It wouldn't hurt on a small sample to try and see.

And don't think that just because you don't see it all around that it can't be done or look good. I sublimate complex designs on white poly embroidery thread and it comes out with great results at a cheaper price and with that method you could get it on darks as well. I don't see that method used widespread though, but it does work with great results. I also don't see that in a dye sub catalog either.

WildWestDesigns

What will happen to the powder coating when you heat press it for 400 degrees at 60 seconds?

I actually have to wonder if this process has actually been tried. Some products can handle less temp and less pressure as well that are for confirmed dye sub products.

But if you think about it. Vehicles that have had exhaust manifolds powder coated. Those babies see at least twice as much temp. I know my 6.0 will see 800°F on average just doing 70 and it will see that temp for a whole lot longer then 60 seconds. Part of the reason for powder coating too is it's heat resistance. The actual clamping pressure is probably going to be where the issue is and not so much temp and duration. That's as far as the powder coating surviving the process of the transfer. Rather or not the inks will imprint and imprint well on powder coating that I don't know.

Last edited:

rubo

Rubo, your process may work for some of what we will be doing. will have to look into that a bit more

Glad could help. And the powder coat works beautifully over the print. Go with pigment inks - dye inks will burn. Just try it - you'll never look for anything else.

Rubo