Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice quickly... Re: One Shot and Clear Coating with Mathews Clear

Discussion in 'Hand Made Signs' started by tebond, May 3, 2013.

1. tebond

tebond New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Cincinnati
    I sprayed a two panel sign with Mathews Brilliant Gold Metallic with catalyst and reducer, then I clear coated with Mathews (catalyst and reducer), I let the Clear cure 36 hours and then masked and lettered the sign panels. Evidently the clear had not cured completely and the mask dulled the finish some but more noticeable are tape marks in the clear where I taped up large areas to be painted with the One Shot. The One Shot Enamel is a mixed blue with a little One Shot Hardener. I have had the panels after lettering curing up in the sun for two days now in the hopes I may be able to Re-spray Mathews clear to remedy this situation. It is now Friday night and I have to deliver the signs Tuesday. Is there a way I can spray Mathews Clear to conceal the tape marks. Or any suggestions how to conceal these marks easily.

2. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I would mist the next clear and then a heavier coat. Put it on too thick and it might be too hot and jack everything up. The clear should conceal all issues

3. SuncitySigns

SuncitySigns Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Why don't you just coat n push the clear we're it's dulled. Same theory as cutting n polishing a car when the clear coat has dulled over the years.

4. tebond

tebond New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Another question before I do this

What about sanding first so the clear would hold. Would a very light wet sand with 1500 grit be sufficient, like just a quick wipe as to not to damage the lettering. The clear and push, what's that.

5. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Tebo .. You mentioned added harder .. So just like PHD said mist 1st coat clear heavier 2nd & yes a light wet sand is even better.

You will be fine adding harder helps prevents other paints & clears of harming 1 Shot.
    Wet sanding will give the clear some tooth to bite & smoother surface.
    Clears will camouflage surface strangeness.

6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Agree & good luck

7. tebond

tebond New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Thanks for the input, am headed to the shop to light wet sand, mist and then I'll wait about 20-30 minutes and put the wet coat on, sure hope it will cure up by Tuesday early afternoon. I'll check for any more info in about an hour.

8. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    read...

Is this what you are spraying if so it dries within 24 hours.

9. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Just be careful, I have had 1Shot crinkle like crazy after spraying it with clear (even their own aerosol clear)
    Love....Jill