• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need advice!

jyl

I am doing my first paint(repaint) and apply vinyl job.

it is very old sign and there is like leftover neon sign debris on it.(pic1)
how to remove them?

and what type of paint should I use?(it is going to be white BG)before apply vinyl?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    183.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    188.6 KB · Views: 96

chopper

if you are going to repaint that I would use ronan background enamel...
and if you are going to apply vinyl to that paint you want to make sure that you use enamel paint vinyl does not like to stick very well to laytex...
if you want to get rid of the neon holes you can plug them you might be able to find them at your local hardware store, or custom make them and glue them in place or weld them the faces look like they are steel,(easy to weld to) or you could make new faces...
//chopper

JR's

how big is the sign?
are you having new neon made for it?

if not those glass cups or returns will unscrew.
make sure there is no power going to it.
tape some paper to the face get a tracing and make new faces would be your best bet.

jyl

sign is approx 8'w x 7'h

new faces mean like putting dibond or acrylic?

will that enamel will last long without peeling chopper?
and where do I get enamel paint vinyl?

Si Allen

That looks like galvanized sheet metal.

1. scrape off all the old pain down to bare metal.

2. wipe down with vinegar to clean up oxidation.

3. prime coat it.

4. Ronan Background enamel, or a good industrial enamel ...NOT house paint.

5. apply your graphics.

6. collect your money.

chopper

sign is approx 8'w x 7'h

new faces mean like putting dibond or acrylic?

will that enamel will last long without peeling chopper?
and where do I get enamel paint vinyl?
sorry if I confused you there is no enamel paint vinyl, what I said was vinyl does not like to stick to laytex paint, you will want to use a cast vinyl like oracal 751- or 851, this will adhere to the enamel paint you will need to let it cure out for a bit say 3-4 days before you put the vinyl on, the ronan paint when applied correctly will last many years, si gave some good advise on the prep. the prep is the key you will need to clean the faces properly so the primer and paint will adhere correctly...
//chopper

G-Artist

In the long run it might be cheaper, overall, to reskin/reface it rather than renovate.

If you do renovate and attack it with power tools at some point to get the old
paint off, DO wear a respirator as it is very possible that lead based pigments
were used.

round man

first things first make damned sure there isn't any power still hooked up to the old neon transformers,.,,,don't ask me how I came by this pearl of wisdom,.,,
From experience painting these old monsters what Si has suggested will work,...,...I have used aluminum flashing tape meant for duct work to patch the old neon holes left when you remove the porcelan receptacles,..if they are hard to unscrew you can try using channel lock pliers or whackem with a hammer and they break away easily,..just be careful not to bend the sheet metal in the process,...you really need to get all the old paint off first,..then etch it with a mild acid,... vinegar or stronger,... after we etch them good we apply the adhesive backed aluminum flashing tape to cover the holes then prime well with a primer for galvanized metal or black iron. then paint as Si suggests,..do not offer up a guarantee to the owner as these old monsters are notorious for paint peeling off prematurely,...don't ask me why they just do unless you use a zinc chromate self etching primer and that is probably not gonna be cost effective,...new skins would be a smarter approach if the owner is willing to spend the extra coin,..,.,last of all be forewarned hornets and wasps love these old boxes so be careful,...I've stepped off into nothing more than once rather than fight a cloud of these nasty pests before I realized I couldn't fly,...oh yea have fun while you are painting it,...

Last edited:

JR's

Round man, those old neon signs in the galvanized cabinets are heavy. And when I say heavy I mean heavy.
About 20 years ago, I had my first repaint job. So I had a bright idea. I'll take it down and clean it up and repaint.
Here's the scenario rope is tied to the sign. It goes up over the bracket up over the roof down the backside of the roof and attached to my brother. Yes I said, attached to my brother. I start taking off the nuts and bolts. I get to the last nut and yell to my brother. You got it, he replies back all set. I get to a couple of threads, and that nut shoots off of their like it came out of a gun. The rope stretches tight, and I actually see it shrink in diameter. I hear my brother yell and the sign falling to the ground. My brother shoots over the top of the roof and is sliding towards me. I have just enough time to grab him and the rope. Luckily, we had enough rope for the sign to reach the ground before my brother went over the edge. We had the area roped off, but the sign ruined a step ladder and extension ladder.
I look back at it now and it is very funny, but what the heck was I thinking. So be cautious, learn and have fun.

JR

dfeicke

I don't believe you said if you were going to redo the neon.

That old galvanized metal is a problem. One of the best primers that was used for this stuff is called Galva-Grip. Find it, if you can....good stuff.

But, like said above, be sure to get it stripped off good, and etch it. I've even gone over it with steel wool, in addition to etching....insurance.

You've got yourself a project there. Have fun and be careful!

petrosgraphics

the old metal neon signs were all made with galvaneel (sp) they are a pain to repaint..
why not reface with alum. you will only need 4 sheets.

make sure there are no transformers or power issues.. get rid of the glass housings, if you can take a pattern of what is there, great..

just make sure there are no live transformers inside cabinet.... if you see wires going to the glass housings and transformers, you may want to consider working with another
company to help disconnect everything.....