• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need advise, feel stuck, next level?

Craig Sjoquist

Back in the 80s before vinyl cut machines took over, same problem or similar, I took a the plunge, hired a gal to answer phone and paper work wow what a difference she made me money within 3 months she made me way more, also had one person to set jobs up just for the skilled workers (signpainters) meaning backgrounds, wood cutting, doing whatever jobs etc. just to keep skilled doing what they were hired for also well payed for itself, which in turned freed me up to sell alot more, instead doing all that other stuff or paying a skilled worker for doing low skilled work.

Start out one or 2 days a week let them make you money and see it then add days.

SeaWriter

All good comments, good thread.

I would also recommend contacting Jon Aston.

You mention answering the phone and bookkeeping as being a taxing time constraint.

Perhaps consider a person to handle this role part time. In the past, through word of mouth, I have found a semi retired CPA and the hours offered fit her schedule perfectly. Great on the phone, friendly intelligent and took care of the office completely.

Importantly her interests also became the success of the business.

Alternatively I have used a “virtual office” or “call center” company to answer my phones. This did require a lot of initial work to write up scripts and some basic industry orientation, so they could speak some what knowledgably. Works just like having a receptionist on premise. Upside, customers calling in always got a real person every time, because of multiple people answering calls.

Jon Aston

I would also like to recommend Jon Aston. :) Thanks Squeegee, iSign and SignWriter! Always appreciated! Signsforawhile and Klemgraphics: I offer a 90 minute consultation for free and without obligation. PM me if you're interested and we'll schedule a phone call.

Signsforwhile

wow. i did not expect this amount of response. amazing info in this thread. thank you every.

jon aston, we'll set something up. will pm you.

thanks
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

Brandon708

You need a full time guy that can answer phones, work the design computer, production and deal with customers and be in the shop when you are on sales calls or installs.

You have to much on your plate and it seems that you are missing out on money by not having someone pick up the slack. If you are as busy as you say you are then it would benifit you getting a full time guy. I would wait on getting a receptionist because they are not always needed if you or your other guy is in the shop. Receptionist know nothing about what type of signs the customer needs.

Edserv

Sounds like you're ready to read a book that changed my business almost overnight.

There are 3 different functions to every sign business: 1) the technician (the guy or gal who "does the work") 2) the manager (the guy or gal who "makes sure the work gets done,") and 3) the entrepreneur (the guy or gal who "was crazy enough to start the business.")
Most sign companies are owned by the guy or gal who was an entrepreneur. But after a certain amount of time (1 year, 2 years, 4 years, or maybe even 20 years,) the entrepreneur was long gone and replaced by the technician who finally starts getting seriously burned-out. And if the original entrepreneur has management skills, they may build a team and successfully grow the enterprise.

But in most cases, the "sign guy" or "sign girl" keeps "doing it, doing it, doing it," and finally reaches bitterness and burn-out. Most people quit. Some are smart enough to sell, and a very, very, few "build it as a business."

Anyway, back to the book that changed my business overnight (I've started, built, and sold 9 companies which most are still in business today- largely or most entirely due to this one single book).

It's called The E-Myth Revisited (originally called The E-Myth) by Michael Gerber. It teaches why almost all business fail (some fast, some slow) and what you can do about it to actually enjoy owning a real company that makes money for you, verses sucking your life away.

I know there are so many "how to" books on the market, but if you're really interested in changing your outlook and strategy towards your sign company, PLEASE at least pick-up a copy and check it out. You can usually buy the book on ebay or Amazon for dollars. Trust me (I have nothing to gain from this), if you read this and implement even a few of the ideas, your life will change very very quickly.

Good luck,
Aloha,
Edserv

Two straight plugs for that book. I may have to check it out.

EDIT: Just ordered it from Amazon. Thanks. I'll send you guys a tip when I make my next million.

Last edited:

prime signs

Been down the road your going down. I found I actually made more money working by myself and picking a choosing the type of work I want to do. After paying for employees, workmans comp, all the additional overhead and all of their personal problems. I have spent the last several years scaling back so I can take better care of a few great accounts than trying to get every job and not be able to take care of them all. That will come back around and bite you in the a$$ some day. Grow your business cautiously and find that sweet spot were you are going to be happiest.:smile: