• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Aluminum Box Material Supplier

Happyprinter

Can anyone aim me in the right direction to someone who supplies wholesale sign frame material? (not pre-built boxes) Also, perhaps a wholesale sign box builder who is UL approved that can build boxes for a reasonable price. Man have I been getting some skyhigh pricing from different vendors.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not the place to discuss pricing, but that isn't bad if it's already built and delivered with a face, being stamped U/L approved.

MikePro

sans design, graphics, permit, install.... that sounds about right to me.
make sure you get a quote on a couple different sizes to offer your client. At this point...a sign twice that size, shouldn't cost you twice as much, etc.

John L

Thats a good price. Cheaper than the $6000 radial arm you'll need to slice the mitres on extrusion sticks, a three phase electrical connection for it, a UL inspector in your pocket monthly, a qualified guy to put it all together (and all of his costly baggage).

If you leave money on the table just to get the job you will lose respect of fellow sign guys, muddy the waters of the industry, and hand over free money to the customer who would have had to pay the price anyway.

Double that price, add design charges, graphic charges, delivery, install, and permit costs (not just permit fees, all labor costs to obtain the permits plus the fees).

Best of luck to you with the job.

signage

Thats a good price. Cheaper than the $6000 radial arm you'll need to slice the mitres on extrusion sticks, a three phase electrical connection for it, a UL inspector in your pocket monthly, a qualified guy to put it all together (and all of his costly baggage).

If you leave money on the table just to get the job you will lose respect of fellow sign guys, muddy the waters of the industry, and hand over free money to the customer who would have had to pay the price anyway.

Double that price, add design charges, graphic charges, delivery, install, and permit costs (not just permit fees, all labor costs to obtain the permits plus the fees).

Best of luck to you with the job.
:goodpost::thumb::toasting:

DizzyMarkus

When I quoted the Dr's Office box it was:

5' x 10', 2 sided, wired(no bulbs), ul, faces(only PC) -- COMPLETE --graphics and hang. From a Eastcoast wholesaler was around $2500 Shipped. Give or take a few there but its in the ballpark, I know people dont like exact pricing in open forums. :thumb:

Still needed to add:

permit
graphics
labor
equipment
electrician
room for error :0)

and always a "slush" fund lol

Markus

Happyprinter

Thanks for all the responses. Again, the price I mentioned was just for the box. Not install, permits etc.. And Skyhigh, the answer would be no, after 27 yrs printing it's time to add another business, signs. So far after 1 year with it, I'm "very happy" .

signage

Happyprinter have you ever built a sign box, wire it internally and passed the UL qualifications?

If not then how can you say that is too much?

Do you understand lighting levels as stated in codes, and do you know how to calculate them!

Once you buy the extrusions, figure out how to cut them properly, get all the raceway parts and electrical parts, assemble and test, you will see that the price you listed is not out of line!

The extrusions alone are at least half of that price.

Happyprinter

Thanks for your reply Brian. The answer to your question is no I have not built a box, wired it, or had to comply with UL listings before. One thing I have learned in business over the years, it never hurts to look for better and less expensive ways of doing business as long as you can offer a great product. I appreciate all of the replies so far as it helps in my education and I hate to reinvent the wheel so to speak when it comes to any part of any business. But in just the replies that I have received so far thanks to this forum, and checking with some of the companies mentioned already and having experience in fabrication and an electrician already on staff and access to people that have built signs for other companies, I figure, why not.
I'll start by designing and building a few signs for my own companies, while still using other manufacturer to supply my UL listed sign boxes for all the jobs I get in. And who knows, maybe someday, if things work out, will manufacture our own. If not, well continue to buy from outside sources. Either way, works out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

skyhigh

having experience in fabrication and an electrician already on staff and access to people that have built signs for other companies, I figure, why not.

Having the metal fabrication experience, and the fact that you employ an electrician, I would also say "why not".

I always get a laugh from the other "Happy Printers", who's only experience is hitting "Print". Eventually someone will inquire about an electrical sign, or pylon, and sure as chit they are here asking questions. Like they are going to become a fabricator, welder, electrician and gain knowledge of building construction from asking questions on a sign forum.

weeeeeeeeeee, this is easy.

Good luck!