• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Cutter Advice...

KeithMan

I run a commercial print shop and we have a couple Epson S40600 printers. We currently outsource anything that needs cutting, but have a client that needs same or next day service on signage that will need simple cuts. Circular decals primarily, maybe some other simple designs.

After a few hours of research, I am thinking the Titan 3 from US cutters would probably fit our needs, but before pulling the trigger wanted to make sure this would work for our needs. The clients signs are all under 36 inches and we really don't want to spend over $2000 at this point.

I want to re-iterate that at this point I have zero experience with cutters. so I don't want to find out that I am getting the wrong tool for the job or something more or less complex than I need. The volume would only be about 30 cuts per month for this client that has to have them quickly.

Last edited:

Jburns

I would at least try and find a new / used cutter that you can later contour cut the prints from your Epsons, and make sure its listed in your RIP

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Summa of graphtec might be a little overkill for 30 cuts a month! Though if you did go that route you could add to your capabilities.

as previously stated, make sure any cutter you buy is compatible with your rip

KeithMan

I am using an Onyx Thrive 19 RIP, so this wouldn't be compatible. I was hoping we could just print the prints, laminate them and then feed them into the cutter last. Would I still need it to be compatible with the RIP?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I am using an Onyx Thrive 19 RIP, so this wouldn't be compatible. I was hoping we could just print the prints, laminate them and then feed them into the cutter last. Would I still need it to be compatible with the RIP?
Get the manual for whatever software the cutter comes with and look up the contour cutting options to see how it is done.
The rip won't matter if you can set registration marks in your layout program the cutter program can work with.
I run a Graphtec using the AI plug-in to set up the reg marks and use Flexi just to run the prints.

Mascitti Bro

We've been fortunate, when going with "more than we need" in terms of equipment capability for pretty much all our larger equipment pieces.

Jeremiah

I would go with us cutter lazer point 3 . It is Fantastic for the money . Easy to use
It includes the software needed

TopFliteGraphics

Go Graphtec if you think this part of you business will grow at all. Don't be afraid to buy a used Graphtec either. I purchased a used 10 year old graphtec FC7000 from a guy that had big dreams and then realized the software end of sign making was more tan he thought. It was sitting in his closet for years. 8+ years later, I finally replaced it with a brand new, larger Graphtec when I bought my printer. Graphtec are tanks and require only minimal maintenance. I have made the mistake in the past of buying cheap Chinese plotters even though I knew Graphtecs were great. I cannot speak to the US Cutter ones but I love my Graphtec

Jeremiah

Originally when I started my search for a contour machine, I did not want to go the cheapest. The machine was going to sit sometimes for 6 months with no use. I read all the reviews , good and bad. . There was a. 2000.00 difference between price of my first choice and my second choice. I took a Big Chance and. decided to go with my second choice . Although we have Graphtec and Roland machines in our main shop and they are Great. Our special event shop now has 2 US Cutter machines working in it. Maybe we have been lucky , But they have done the work needed done ( 1800 banners so far and aprox 3000 18 x 24 signs). One benefit is that we can afford to let these machines sit for several months until our special event shop opens again.

Baz

You should really consider buying an plotter with optical registration. It would complement your printer very well.

Sure you don't want to spend over 2 000.00$ but you will most likely regret your decision when another client will ask you for something done on your printer that needs to be contour cut.
It will happen, i guarantee it!

netsol

I run a commercial print shop and we have a couple Epson S40600 printers. We currently outsource anything that needs cutting, but have a client that needs same or next day service on signage that will need simple cuts. Circular decals primarily, maybe some other simple designs.

After a few hours of research, I am thinking the Titan 3 from US cutters would probably fit our needs, but before pulling the trigger wanted to make sure this would work for our needs. The clients signs are all under 36 inches and we really don't want to spend over $2000 at this point.

I want to re-iterate that at this point I have zero experience with cutters. so I don't want to find out that I am getting the wrong tool for the job or something more or less complex than I need. The volume would only be about 30 cuts per month for this client that has to have them quickly.

keithman
i see several used graphtecs on craigslist, in your under $2000 price range

also worth having a look on mercari and offerup