• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need expert advice

tylerclprint

Hey all, my name is Tyler I am the project manager for a small print shop in Virginia.

I'm new to the print industry but was hoping I could get some input from anyone who can help!!

We have a large Tanning Bed niche client who is looking to purchase vinyl floor mats for their standing tanning beds.. the vinyl they requested has to be matte - my main concern though is that we need vinyl that will last under the heat of the tanning bed for a while - basically a matte vinyl that is good for long term usage, especially under hot conditions.

Right now we are currently exploring 3M-IJ35C as an option, but wanted to see what else there is out there in the market.

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated!!

- Tyler

tylerclprint

Can you send me a picture? Maybe a dyesub floor mat would be even better. Are you laminating the IJ35 now?

Hey BigFish, thanks for the response. I'm new to this, but I attached a photo of what the mat looks like inside the tanning bed - not sure if this helps

And no we have not yet ordered the IJ35 - still looking for options

Attachments

• IMG_20190930_095032.jpg
    IMG_20190930_095032.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 211

ikarasu

Ij35 is the cheapest vinyl from 3m you can buy. It's meant for short term... I wouldn't use it. It's going to shrink, especially under the heat and look like crap.

I'd use a high tack like 180-lse. You'll need an anti slip overlam.... Especially if people are sweating in the sauna and walked ng around with wet feet. Last think you want is for someone to trip and Sue your company.

This is where it gets tricky. Most anti slip floor overlam are rated for a few months of use.... Vinyls not really meant to be walked on, that being said that's for store floors where pallet Jack's and carts and other stuff runs over it. We've had some floor overlam down in our warehouse for 8 months and it looks brand new... Dirty, but brand new. Either way... I'd be upfront about the estimated life.... And let them know while it should last longer, they have a unique application and you can't guarantee that it will.

3M 3647 is the floor overlam you'd want to use.

Now you're talking about buying a $800 roll of vinyl and a $1000ish roll of overlam. So hopefully they want quite a few of these done....

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Hey BigFish, thanks for the response. I'm new to this, but I attached a photo of what the mat looks like inside the tanning bed - not sure if this helps

And no we have not yet ordered the IJ35 - still looking for options

Ok great, what machine will be printing with? There are a few one step floor graphic solutions that will last a while for this application.

tylerclprint

Ij35 is the cheapest vinyl from 3m you can buy. It's meant for short term... I wouldn't use it. It's going to shrink, especially under the heat and look like crap.

I'd use a high tack like 180-lse. You'll need an anti slip overlam.... Especially if people are sweating in the sauna and walked ng around with wet feet. Last think you want is for someone to trip and Sue your company.

This is where it gets tricky. Most anti slip floor overlam are rated for a few months of use.... Vinyls not really meant to be walked on, that being said that's for store floors where pallet Jack's and carts and other stuff runs over it. We've had some floor overlam down in our warehouse for 8 months and it looks brand new... Dirty, but brand new. Either way... I'd be upfront about the estimated life.... And let them know while it should last longer, they have a unique application and you can't guarantee that it will.

3M 3647 is the floor overlam you'd want to use.

Now you're talking about buying a $800 roll of vinyl and a $1000ish roll of overlam. So hopefully they want quite a few of these done....

Wow, thanks for all the information. I'm glad we hadn't ordered the IJ-35C yet then! Thanks for the suggestions as well, truly appreciate it!!

tylerclprint

Ok great, what machine will be printing with? There are a few one step floor graphic solutions that will last a while for this application.

So for our main we use a Mimaki JV150/160 and we also have a backup Mimaki JV33 (which I believe has since been discontinued)

Andy D

I cant remember who sells it, but there is a clear floor mat material that comes on a roll.
You print to the side (or apply printed clear vinyl) that will be in contact with the floor and back it up by printing white or applying
white vinyl. I believe it comes in a variety of non-slip textures.

6c0cef3e-9586-4500-c3c7-6b045c6ef3e4.png

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
So for our main we use a Mimaki JV150/160 and we also have a backup Mimaki JV33 (which I believe has since been discontinued)

Ok gotcha, you can use any good cast vinyl like 3MIJ180C, Oracal 3951, Avery 1105, Arlon are all big major brands. Then put this over the top:
Its called matador and its a non adhesive overcoat that will lay over the top of your graphic.

ikarasu

Wow, thanks for all the information. I'm glad we hadn't ordered the IJ-35C yet then! Thanks for the suggestions as well, truly appreciate it!!
No problem. Don't be too scared about the price point! It's some of 3ms best vinyl. Im sure Avery / oracal have decent options... Not sure if biggish carries door overlam / vinyl, but his stuff has been great for everything we've tested. In Canada you can buy Printable media by the yard also... Not sure if any usa suppliers have that option. Ij35 has its uses.... But something under constant heat id go with a cast option.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'd imagine you will need something with a pretty good UV blocker on top. No telling how long solvent ink is going to hold up before it turns George Hamilton golden brown.

People still use these things?