• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help converting .PLT and .DST files

gaeabav

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I need to convert one .PLT file and five .DST files into either AI, EPS or even PDF. I can't view or open them. I've tried a few online converters and none of them worked. Any chance anyone is willing/able to convert?

Thanks,
Alicia

WildWestDesigns

Are you talking about the embroidery DST file format?

If you are, it's a little more complex then just opening it up and then converting it to vector. At least for quality output.

gaeabav

I believe the .DST files are from some embroidery software. The files came to me from my client from a sign shop that has gone out of business. After reading a few threads on various forums it seems possible for someone to open the .DST files in the embroidery software and print it to a PDF using the virtual printer. I was hoping someone on here might be able to do this for me.

Neither I nor my client even know what these look like. If I need to recreate vector art that's fine. But I would really like to be able to see what these things are.

WildWestDesigns

I believe the .DST files are from some embroidery software. The files came to me from my client from a sign shop that has gone out of business. After reading a few threads on various forums it seems possible for someone to open the .DST files in the embroidery software and print it to a PDF using the virtual printer. I was hoping someone on here might be able to do this for me.

Neither I nor my client even know what these look like. If I need to recreate vector art that's fine. But I would really like to be able to see what these things are.

Yes, you can print it out as a PDF or open it up and take a screen capture and use that as a template to re-build the artwork.

Any way, it's going to need to be rebuilt, because of the digitizing process, the way objects are created is different then for vector.

Also bare in mind DST files do not retain color functions. So you aren't going to get true colors when you open it up. I might digitize it as yellow, but when I export the DST file, it may then show up as red, or dark blue etc. Or more colors could be visible then there actually needs to be. Let say, you have color 1, color 2, color 1 and then color 2. It may show up as many as 4 colors in the DST file.

Wilcom as a free program called TruSizer that you can view files, take a screen capture of that and then go from there.

gaeabav

That's fine. Are you willing to generate PDFs for me? If so, can I email the files to you?

Edited: Sorry I missed the last line of your reply. I'll check out the software you mentioned.

Thanks,
Alicia