• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help deciding on which machine to choose.

Swarded

Hello, everyone. I'm new to vinyl cutters and have been researching for a while now, but I wanted to make sure to get advice from the professionals in this forum.

I will begin by describing what I am utilizing the machine for, which might help you understand my situation. I am a painter (acrylic) and I create designs on a wood panel, and up until now, I have been taping the panels and using an Xacto knife to cut the designs by hand and weed out the tape. It finally clicked I needed to just get a vinyl cutter to save time in this endeavor.

Detail-wise, it can get pretty small in the areas where I cut. 1/8" in space between the cuts, sometimes smaller (but if I have to adapt to the machine's ability, i will)

Software-wise, I have been a graphic designer for nearly 10 years now and I have massive experience in the software required for CNC work and the such, so if one machine is "harder" than another to use based upon software, that is perfectly fine, detail is all that really matters to me.

These are the machines I am choosing between:

Graphic CE-6000
Mimaki CG-SRIII
Summa Summacut
Roland GS24 CAMM 1

Anyone with experience with these machines, how are they when it comes to high-detail work? Are any better than the others in this regard? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Bretbyron

Some of these machines do more than it sounds like you need. Optical registration will cost more and be useless unless you have a wide printer.

Get the Roland GS Camm 1 and call it a day. I believe most here will agree. I think they have a three year warranty also.

I have a CG130 SR III and an FC 7000 in the shop and neither seem as robust as my old Roland that I used to have.

Heck, if your just using mask get a US Cutter.

Swarded

Some of these machines do more than it sounds like you need. Optical registration will cost more and be useless unless you have a wide printer.

Get the Roland GS Camm 1 and call it a day. I believe most here will agree. I think they have a three year warranty also.

I have a CG130 SR III and an FC 7000 in the shop and neither seem as robust as my old Roland that I used to have.

Heck, if your just using mask get a US Cutter.

Excellent, alright. One other question, since you have experience with Rolands. Are they compatible with Mac's? I saw that Summa has the software for that to happen.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Have you considered getting a plotter that allows you to choose tangential or swivel cutting for each job?

Swarded

Have you considered getting a plotter that allows you to choose tangential or swivel cutting for each job?

That was something I was considering. I'm currently researching which Summa's have it. I don't need/want a gigantic cutter, if its not necessary, so I'm checking out which ones it comes on.

Swarded

That was something I was considering. I'm currently researching which Summa's have it. I don't need/want a gigantic cutter, if its not necessary, so I'm checking out which ones it comes on.

Alright, yes, the summa I listed above comes with that feature. My artwork is a lot of jagged lines, so now I feel as though I might want to veer back towards the Summa. Dang. Such a hard decision!

player

Once you narrow it down, be sure to go to the dealers and have them cut a number of your most difficult files.

Don't go by what others say, go by the actual performance of the machines. Be sure to test them on different materials, and test all on the same materials and files. You may want to buy a roll or two of material so you can keep the comparison accurate. Label the tests. Compare them. Put them through their paces. Don't just cut one files, have them cut 10 of the same file in a row. When the salesman says the knife was set wrong or whatever the excuse for the file not being as it should, tell them to adjust it and cut it again. Judge your cutters from how they cut your job, on your material.

Have you decided on a width? A lot of material I see are 30" and 54" wide.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How were you transferring your images/drawings onto the vinyl for handcuttiing before ??

If it was all free-hand, you're now going to hafta enter all of your stuff via a keyboard or a scanner. Then vectorizing it and output.

I would feel safer making patterns of any great length on a sprocket-fed plotter. That's what we do. We used to do a ton of sandblasting signs, but the economy has changed that, but you can go for miles with patters on a sprocket, while a friction is maybe 15' to 20' at most. Some are accurate to only 5' or 6' without skewing. Think about it.

FatCat

I have to agree with Gino, for dead-accurate cutting a sprocket feed can't be beat. But that also limits you to only using 15" vinyl rolls for most of those machines. However, the tangential head of a Summa is also a great benefit if what you're doing isn't going to be long runs beyond 5-6' most of the time and you need to be able to do super small detail cuts, there is no comparison. I started with a Roland, great machine, but I really love my Summa, worth every penny.

Andy D

We have two Mimaki CG-130-SRIII and one Graphtec Pro FC 7000-130
And I don't really care for any of them... they seem like China junk...
nothing like the graphtec and Mimaki plotters I have used in the past....

Ghost Prophet

1st choice, Roland. 2nd choice, Summa. I would settle with whatever you can get a better deal on, unless you don't care about the price tag. They're both excellent machines.

BESTBLANKS

Vinyl Cutters for every need

Hello, everyone. I'm new to vinyl cutters and have been researching for a while now, but I wanted to make sure to get advice from the professionals in this forum.

I will begin by describing what I am utilizing the machine for, which might help you understand my situation. I am a painter (acrylic) and I create designs on a wood panel, and up until now, I have been taping the panels and using an Xacto knife to cut the designs by hand and weed out the tape. It finally clicked I needed to just get a vinyl cutter to save time in this endeavor.

Detail-wise, it can get pretty small in the areas where I cut. 1/8" in space between the cuts, sometimes smaller (but if I have to adapt to the machine's ability, i will)

Software-wise, I have been a graphic designer for nearly 10 years now and I have massive experience in the software required for CNC work and the such, so if one machine is "harder" than another to use based upon software, that is perfectly fine, detail is all that really matters to me.

These are the machines I am choosing between:

Graphic CE-6000
Mimaki CG-SRIII
Summa Summacut
Roland GS24 CAMM 1

Anyone with experience with these machines, how are they when it comes to high-detail work? Are any better than the others in this regard? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Hi, Perhaps we can help. We are a large Graphtec and Roland dealer with extensive knowledge on these cutters.
You can see all the Graphtec models here: http://www.bestblanks.com/graphtec.html
Roland cutters here: http://www.bestblanks.com/vinylcutter.html

We are glad to help answer any questions you may have. Please contact us at: 888-431-7385 or 954-989-1250

Thanks for your post!
www.BestBlanks.com

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have to agree with Gino, for dead-accurate cutting a sprocket feed can't be beat. But that also limits you to only using 15" vinyl rolls for most of those machines. However, the tangential head of a Summa is also a great benefit if what you're doing isn't going to be long runs beyond 5-6' most of the time and you need to be able to do super small detail cuts, there is no comparison. I started with a Roland, great machine, but I really love my Summa, worth every penny.

We have a 15", but also a 30". Both are high speed. We can go 150' without any problems of skewing. We've done it many many times. It also can make great pounce patterns which might be very helpful in hand-painting. That's what we use it for the most, besides cutting long runs of small vinyl. We use our Roland for up to 52" patterns and cut jobs.

Swarded

How were you transferring your images/drawings onto the vinyl for handcuttiing before ??

If it was all free-hand, you're now going to hafta enter all of your stuff via a keyboard or a scanner. Then vectorizing it and output.

I would feel safer making patterns of any great length on a sprocket-fed plotter. That's what we do. We used to do a ton of sandblasting signs, but the economy has changed that, but you can go for miles with patters on a sprocket, while a friction is maybe 15' to 20' at most. Some are accurate to only 5' or 6' without skewing. Think about it.

I actually make all of my designs in illustrator first as a vector, so that's already in place. Most of my work is 24"x24", sometimes can get as large as 36"x72", so I figured if it does skew, then i would likely be doing short runs and combining them together in the end then tweaking with an Xacto to get them to match. I'll look into the sprocket feed. Thank you!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I actually make all of my designs in illustrator first as a vector, so that's already in place. Most of my work is 24"x24", sometimes can get as large as 36"x72", so I figured if it does skew, then i would likely be doing short runs and combining them together in the end then tweaking with an Xacto to get them to match. I'll look into the sprocket feed. Thank you!

They are by far, the most expensive, but they are truly the best. :peace!:

Swarded

They are by far, the most expensive, but they are truly the best. :peace!:

Yea, I noticed that. I don't think I want to spend that amount of money on one of these, regretfully. Maybe one day I'll upgrade, but for now, I feel friction will suffice.

Jwalk

I grabbed a gcc expert 24. Definitely a lower end purchase. Guys out here get a real laugh at it.

However so far it's served my needs, my biggest problem is have the vinyl roll always be perfectly straight. I have it down to just mm off so it's pretty good,but you have to set it up just right . Always have to trim the peice to make sure I have a straight edge. I don't know if the "good" machines always cut straight I would assume they do.

The design has always been cut very well. The noise, oh well so it's a bit louder, what am I recording an album.

http://www.gccworld.com/goods.php?act=view&no=29