• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help deciding Oracal 970 or Hexis 20000

GypsyGraphics

I'm going to do a full wrap for color change only (no printing) and can't decided between Oracal 970 RA and Hexis HX20000, pre-laminated vinyls.

I'm hoping there are a few of you out there who have tired or are familiar with both and will tell me if you preferred one over the other... and why.

I have samples for both but don't want to make a decision based solely on which is easier for a novice installer, like myself, to work with. Here's what I know:

1. Oracal cost 200+ more
2. Oracal 4 mil vs Hexis 3 mil
3. Both were easy to work with
4. When removing, the Hexis kinda shredded, the Oracal didn't (does that matter?)
5. Both are readily available but no flat black in the Hexis

Not that color matters but, I'm also deciding between colors, white, black or flat black.

If your response is "just paint the car" don't bother. I know I can get a cheap paint job for less. I'm doing this for installation experience. I've haven't done a full wrap on my own and won't till I think I can do a good job. I really hate it when I hear some is doing a vehicle wrap for the first time, for a client and charging for it. That is, unless the client knows and is getting a killer deal to be their guinea pig or it's a "you no likey - you no pay" kinda deal. I read somewhere on this very site... a guy wanted "play wrapper" on other peoples cars so he'd have experience before doing his own!!!! Reeeal nice buddy.

With that in mind, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

signage

I would go with the Oracal for removal reasons! Most likely sooner or later it will have to be removed and if it comes off in little pieces that will be a pain!

GypsyGraphics

I'll tell you but it's gonna cost you... give me the skinny on 970! Have you used it or are you wanting to because you want the flat black?

Sing!

GypsyGraphics

Seriously though, I would like to find out what you know about 970 or the only comparable product I know of, Hexis 20000.

When I spoke to the Oracal rep, he said they didn't even know there was a compeditor with a similar product.

Anyway, Call Paul at ProVeer Sign Supply in Buena Park, CA and tell him GG sent you. You can reach him at (714) 522-2400.

auto accents sc

Just curious what kind of vehicle are you wrapping? I've used the 970 RA a little but just with Mustang stripes. I never used it for a full wrap. I did like the material though. I wish it was more available to use for cut graphics.

GypsyGraphics

Just curious what kind of vehicle are you wrapping?

It's a 98 Camry, that belonged to my mom. I want to cool it up a bit for my son who just turned 16, I'm putting a body kit on it too.

Your a car guy, can you tell... can I wrap the body kit as is, or do I need to get some paint on it first? If so, what kind of paint?

Seriously though, I would like to find out what you know about 970 or the only comparable product I know of, Hexis 20000.

When I spoke to the Oracal rep, he said they didn't even know there was a compeditor with a similar product.

Anyway, Call Paul at ProVeer Sign Supply in Buena Park, CA and tell him GG sent you. You can reach him at (714) 522-2400.

Thanks!! I will do in the morning!

auto accents sc

You would need to test a piece. A lot of body kits are made of abs. I would think you could wrap that without painting. I would be worried about a urethane kit. you would have to test to be sure.
Jamey

GypsyGraphics

Hexis has matte black???

HEXIS HAS MATTE BLACK???? It's not in my swatch book, but it wouldn't surprise me... that means they've got 33 colors in this stuff! That's more flavors than Baskin-Robbins has ice cream.

After looking at photos of flat black cars, last night with my son, we decided hands-down... we're going with flat black. It's just to cool to pass up.

Here's the look we're going for and the photos that sealed the deal.

Attachments

• FlatBlack-1.png
    FlatBlack-1.png
    309.4 KB · Views: 171
  • FlatBlack-2.png
    FlatBlack-2.png
    220.4 KB · Views: 203
  • FlatBlack-3.png
    FlatBlack-3.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 176
  • FlatBlack-4.jpg
    FlatBlack-4.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 167

Steve Werner

I sell Hexis in the Midwest and it's really a great product line. Contact Melissa Cox at Hexis and I'm sure she'll help you out. They are a great company that's starting to make inroads in the marketplace. I'm replacing more and more Oracal and Gerber material with their products. 888-284-3947 ext 23.

GypsyGraphics

Hey... what happen to the post from Hexis????

Yesterday there was a post from Hexis and now it's gone. I'm wondering if it wasn't allowed and was removed by an administrator.

In any case, I really like that they came to the site to see what we are saying about there product. I think that's a good sign (good sign:Big Laugh).

I've gotten a few PM that I think should have been posts for all to see rather than PM. If Hexis is interested in what you have to say... speak up folks.

From what I'm hearing installers love Hexis. One person's PM said they really wish they could get the HX20000 in less then 25 yards. They want to be able to use this product for jobs that are not full wraps, but can't over buy.

Hexis... maybe less can be more in this case.

I'm calling right now and placing my order for Hexis HX20000 Matte Black.

I can't get started on the job right away, gotta take care of paying clients first.... but when I do, I'll post with details and photos of the process.

GypsyGraphics

Hexis Matte Black... laminated????

Unfortunately, the Hexis matte black isn't going to work out. The color is nice but it doesn't seem to be pre-laminated. I called Hexis and they said it has a matte lamination, but it's undetectable to me. However, my experience with pre-laminated, multi-layered cast vinyl is limited to the samples I received from both Oracal and Hexis, none of which were the matte/flat black.

I called Hexis, they were great, said they'd pick up the vinyl tomorrow and refund the full amount. You can't ask for better customer service. I'll definitely order the the HX20000, when I need any of the other colors.

A sample of the Oracal flat black with matte pre-lamination, is on it's way.

If you've wrapped with flat/matte black, I sure like to hear from you.

cdiesel

I haven't used the Oracal since it was series 870, but if I'm not mistaken, it's not laminated. It's just 4mil vinyl with air egress.

Heh.. when Googling "Oracal 970" this post comes up number three.

GypsyGraphics

if I'm not mistaken, it's not laminated. It's just 4mil vinyl with air egress.
Your right in that it's not really a laminate. Oracal calls it a built in clear coat.
ORACAL® Series 970RA Wrapping Cast with Rapid Air™ Technology
Description "Special cast PVC film with outstanding dimensional stability and optimum application characteristics. Available in 16 gloss colors with a built-in protective clear coat layer to simulate the appearance of factory-applied paint."
I'll attach the spec sheet, in case your interested.

Heh.. when Googling "Oracal 970" this post comes up number three.
I should get a discount for advertising for them?

Attachments

• Series970RA.pdf
    216.2 KB · Views: 148

OTG Signs

I'm literally in a frenzy right now trying to order a roll of 970 matte black. I spoke to Paul and he's going to call me back to see if he can help me get a roll.

GypsyGraphics

I'm literally in a frenzy right now trying to order a roll of 970 matte black. I spoke to Paul and he's going to call me back to see if he can help me get a roll.

Call Valerie at Hexis, she just had a 33 yard roll of their Flat/Matte Black (with pick up from me this morning. It was really gorgeous but didn't have the pre-laminate I was expecting.

I have a sinking feeling I'm going to be very sorry I sent it back!

Got the following PM from someone [FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]If you want to go for the murdered matte black for your son try the hexis matte overlam with a gloss black it gives one of the best matte black's ive seen for a long time.
I tried oracal and 3m matte overlam but they still have a lil gloss to it. Hexis was completely flat black.
[/FONT]

I emailed that to Valarie at Hexis and guess what just arrived 15 minutes ago from FedEx.... sample rolls of each!!!

Unbelievable customer service!

[FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Valerie Gallant
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Regional Sales Manager | Hexis USA LLC
Toll Free: 888.284.3947 | Direct 951.739.5999 Ext. 31

[/FONT]