• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help for cleaning a Mimaki JV3-130SPII ( Stored without cleaning???)

Freeride

Hi Guys,
i bought a used Mimaki JV3-130SPII, i have problem with this printer...

The printer was removed from a working environment BUT!!!
The ink was not removed and the print heads will need to be cleaned. I didn"t see personally the printer, the seller told me this information.

So my questions: :help

1. What's the best way to clean line, do i have to use the cleaning cartridge? Is it enough?
2. How do i have to clean heads,
3. Head could be affected by the storage without cleaning?
4. What's the way to clean heads?
5. Do the pump could be affected by this storage?

Please feel free to comments, i have to pickup the printer next week and i want to have an idea before...

Thanks,

ChiknNutz

Initial thoughts...you'll need new heads, but I hope not. This should have been part of the purchase process..to ensure this was all done correctly.

ChicagoGraphics

Depending how long It's been sitting around you might need new heads. The price for new heads went up I heard because they discontinued the JV3s,

Freeride

Thanks, i will try to find how long the printer have been in storage?
The heads are they the only pieces i will have to change?
I saw few on ebay...

Letterbox Mike

Start doing some captivity washes. It's in the manual how to do it, much easier than trying to explain it. I'd guess to start do a 24 hour soak to really loosen them up, then run a test draw to see how many, if any, nozzles are firing. Keep doing soaks like that until you make some progress, it could very well take more than a week of soaks and tests to clear all of the nozzles, if they're uncloggable. There is also a procedure to force cleaning fluid through the head using a syringe, but I don't know how to do it and i do know you run the risk of damaging the head doing it, it's more of a last resort. Probably put in all new ink cartridges, and try manually pulling ink or cleaning fluid through the ink lines with a syringe to clear them. New dampers for sure.

More than likely, if it's been sitting a while, you're looking at new heads. They're running about $900 or so each from dealers (you can get the for a little less if you look around), plus labor to install them. If you replace the heads, might as well replace the ink lines and pumps so the entire ink train is new. But either way, you've got a project on your hands.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
The heads are easy to to clean. You should not have to replace them. I cleaned out 2 machines that had been stored so long that the ink in the dampers was dried up. We estimate that they were stored in a barn in Oklahoma heat for 1 to 2 years before moving them to a heated building. They set for another year until I saw them and told the owner I could get them going again.

The heads are printing fine now but there are a few other issues to work on having to do with programming and a motor problem.

It does take a few days and some patience to soften the ink up and flush the ink flakes from the system. You should put cleaning fluid in the carts until the heads are cleaned out. The first thing to do is change the dampers and capping station. I soaked some coffee filters and left them on the printing area with the heads resting on them. After an overnight soak, I was able to put a hose on the nipple of each head and pull some flakes out of the head with a syringe. Then I would push clear cleaning solvent through the head until it came out clear. To be on the safe side, empty an extra 40 cc's through each head and pull some back out at the end.

Make sure the lines are clear to the waste ink and the pumps are working properly. Do a test print and be prepared to work on the head some more.

I have got one machine back working again that had only been setting for 4 months without having to do any more than sucking ink through the cleaning station with a syringe. I use a 40 or 60cc syringe that I get from a farm supply store. Some common names for these stores are Farm and Fleet, Atwoods, Hicks....

PM me if you need more advice.

bpotts2903

The heads are easy to to clean. You should not have to replace them. I cleaned out 2 machines that had been stored so long that the ink in the dampers was dried up. We estimate that they were stored in a barn in Oklahoma heat for 1 to 2 years before moving them to a heated building. They set for another year until I saw them and told the owner I could get them going again.

The heads are printing fine now but there are a few other issues to work on having to do with programming and a motor problem.

It does take a few days and some patience to soften the ink up and flush the ink flakes from the system. You should put cleaning fluid in the carts until the heads are cleaned out. The first thing to do is change the dampers and capping station. I soaked some coffee filters and left them on the printing area with the heads resting on them. After an overnight soak, I was able to put a hose on the nipple of each head and pull some flakes out of the head with a syringe. Then I would push clear cleaning solvent through the head until it came out clear. To be on the safe side, empty an extra 40 cc's through each head and pull some back out at the end.

Make sure the lines are clear to the waste ink and the pumps are working properly. Do a test print and be prepared to work on the head some more.

I have got one machine back working again that had only been setting for 4 months without having to do any more than sucking ink through the cleaning station with a syringe. I use a 40 or 60cc syringe that I get from a farm supply store. Some common names for these stores are Farm and Fleet, Atwoods, Hicks....

PM me if you need more advice.
Tell me how to clean these heads that have been sitting

Z SIGNS

Sorry can't help you. But for the future. A used machine with no warranty or support is just a dumb thing buy.
Just search this forum you will see what I'm talking about
New machines are cheap nowadays.

netsol

PM me if you need more adv

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
this thread was from 2008, I would think the op already fixed there problem
As we promote people to search for old threads instead of starting new ones. Thats what one of the posters did, asked a question in an old thread to someone who had a solution ;)
Helps reading though the post.