Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help for vp 540 boards .. no power

Discussion in 'Roland' started by nanee, Apr 9, 2020.

1. nanee

nanee nanee

Feb 22, 2015
    Maine
    I have a Roland vp 540 and was working fine. 3 days later I turned on and no power to the control panel .. it is getting power to the machine as the green light comes on when back switch is on ... I replaced the ribbon cable . From the control panel. Still won’t come on .. checked the voltage with a meter from the power board out and into the board was fine ... in checking with a meter there is a small set of wires on the bottom left. 2 black and one red and one orange that does not have power .. it goes from servo to main .. so now my problem comes. Do I repair or replace the servo or the main Not sure how to check or if it is just trial and error .. is there a reputable repair company .. also when I replace the boards do I need a service manual for codes or can I plug and play .. I am closed at the moment so money is tight But really need my machine .. any help or ideas would be appreciated .. thank you

Tags:
  2. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Are there fuses you can check?

3. nanee

nanee nanee

Feb 22, 2015
    Maine

4. nanee

nanee nanee

Feb 22, 2015
    Maine
    The ones on powerboard seem to be ok .. not sure where to find any others

5. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    from another forum, same machine same problem:

S - "the steady green light on top tells you that the system is getting power. No power to the control panel means - cable came off or the fuse could be blown. Now if you did not remove the cable, then the likihood is the fuse is blown. There are two located up in the front left area. if you have a tester - you can test both sides of the fuse and that should tell you where the problem is."

R - "tested the fuses and there good with power good to and through them."

S - "Ok well I was hoping for the fuse. Looked through the diagram but seen no other obivious issue. So you will need to work part by part. There is a ribbon cable that goes to the control panel from the mainboard. Look the cable over carefully - ensure that the integrity has not been compromised. You may need to use a magnify glass for a pinhole can cause the effect. So you are looking for pinholes, or bent leads or crossed leads. Part of that cable passes over the pump and if ink got on the cable it will erode them. It you use third party inks and there was any misting then you have to check the other ribbon cables also. Before you do any of the above lets recap:

You had main power on - no power to front panel
    You have green led lit - no power to front panel
    You checked fuses - no power to front panel
    if all correct - then top of page
    If cable is fine - check power to cable and then work towards the fuse"

R - "Replaced the "Power Board" and still same issue. errrrrr it's gonna get expensive and the jobs are stacking up."

S - "Try Checking the fuses on the main board"

6. nanee

nanee nanee

Feb 22, 2015
    Maine

7. nanee

nanee nanee

Feb 22, 2015
    Maine
    I changed the cable from the control panel to the board. But do not know where to look for the fuses ..front left of what .. there were 2 small fuses on the power board and those did not look blown. Thank you. For trying to help. Beyond frustrated at the moment .. hard time to break down financially .. will see if I can find the fuses in the front left. Not sure. Control panel. Main board. Servo .. ugh.

8. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    You need to test the fuses with a meter. Looking at them is not good enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. nanee

nanee nanee

Feb 22, 2015
    Maine
    He used a meter

• Like Like x 1