• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help for vp 540 boards .. no power

nanee

nanee
I have a Roland vp 540 and was working fine. 3 days later I turned on and no power to the control panel .. it is getting power to the machine as the green light comes on when back switch is on ... I replaced the ribbon cable . From the control panel. Still won’t come on .. checked the voltage with a meter from the power board out and into the board was fine ... in checking with a meter there is a small set of wires on the bottom left. 2 black and one red and one orange that does not have power .. it goes from servo to main .. so now my problem comes. Do I repair or replace the servo or the main Not sure how to check or if it is just trial and error .. is there a reputable repair company .. also when I replace the boards do I need a service manual for codes or can I plug and play .. I am closed at the moment so money is tight But really need my machine .. any help or ideas would be appreciated .. thank you

MikePro

from another forum, same machine same problem:

S - "the steady green light on top tells you that the system is getting power. No power to the control panel means - cable came off or the fuse could be blown. Now if you did not remove the cable, then the likihood is the fuse is blown. There are two located up in the front left area. if you have a tester - you can test both sides of the fuse and that should tell you where the problem is."

R - "tested the fuses and there good with power good to and through them."

S - "Ok well I was hoping for the fuse. Looked through the diagram but seen no other obivious issue. So you will need to work part by part. There is a ribbon cable that goes to the control panel from the mainboard. Look the cable over carefully - ensure that the integrity has not been compromised. You may need to use a magnify glass for a pinhole can cause the effect. So you are looking for pinholes, or bent leads or crossed leads. Part of that cable passes over the pump and if ink got on the cable it will erode them. It you use third party inks and there was any misting then you have to check the other ribbon cables also. Before you do any of the above lets recap:

You had main power on - no power to front panel
You have green led lit - no power to front panel
You checked fuses - no power to front panel
if all correct - then top of page
If cable is fine - check power to cable and then work towards the fuse"

R - "Replaced the "Power Board" and still same issue. errrrrr it's gonna get expensive and the jobs are stacking up."

S - "Try Checking the fuses on the main board"

nanee

nanee
from another forum, same machine same problem:

S - "the steady green light on top tells you that the system is getting power. No power to the control panel means - cable came off or the fuse could be blown. Now if you did not remove the cable, then the likihood is the fuse is blown. There are two located up in the front left area. if you have a tester - you can test both sides of the fuse and that should tell you where the problem is."

R - "tested the fuses and there good with power good to and through them."

S - "Ok well I was hoping for the fuse. Looked through the diagram but seen no other obivious issue. So you will need to work part by part. There is a ribbon cable that goes to the control panel from the mainboard. Look the cable over carefully - ensure that the integrity has not been compromised. You may need to use a magnify glass for a pinhole can cause the effect. So you are looking for pinholes, or bent leads or crossed leads. Part of that cable passes over the pump and if ink got on the cable it will erode them. It you use third party inks and there was any misting then you have to check the other ribbon cables also. Before you do any of the above lets recap:

You had main power on - no power to front panel
You have green led lit - no power to front panel
You checked fuses - no power to front panel
if all correct - then top of page
If cable is fine - check power to cable and then work towards the fuse"

R - "Replaced the "Power Board" and still same issue. errrrrr it's gonna get expensive and the jobs are stacking up."

S - "Try Checking the fuses on the main board"

nanee

nanee
I changed the cable from the control panel to the board. But do not know where to look for the fuses ..front left of what .. there were 2 small fuses on the power board and those did not look blown. Thank you. For trying to help. Beyond frustrated at the moment .. hard time to break down financially .. will see if I can find the fuses in the front left. Not sure. Control panel. Main board. Servo .. ugh.

player

I changed the cable from the control panel to the board. But do not know where to look for the fuses ..front left of what .. there were 2 small fuses on the power board and those did not look blown. Thank you. For trying to help. Beyond frustrated at the moment .. hard time to break down financially .. will see if I can find the fuses in the front left. Not sure. Control panel. Main board. Servo .. ugh.
You need to test the fuses with a meter. Looking at them is not good enough.

damonCA21

Was this problem ever resolved because my printer is doing the same exact thing:(
If there is no power at all to the printer, then it won't be the main board fuses as the printer will still power on fine without this. You need to test the main power supply and see if it is giving any voltage to the main board.
Are you getting a green LED on the main board and servo board? If you are then the main power supply should be ok, and it could be down to a faulty control panel

yetzer82

If there is no power at all to the printer, then it won't be the main board fuses as the printer will still power on fine without this. You need to test the main power supply and see if it is giving any voltage to the main board.
Are you getting a green LED on the main board and servo board? If you are then the main power supply should be ok, and it could be down to a faulty control panel
The green LED is not lit on the servo board. Tried replacing the board and still no light.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Does your printer show anything on the display when you try to turn it on? If not, check the main power fuses that feed the power supply. Be sure the printer is unplugged before doing this.

damonCA21

No, and I checked fuses. Getting 5volt dc up to the power switch on the front display panel.
OK if you are not getting an LED on the servo board then it sounds like a main power supply problem. The servo board LED should light up as soon as you plug the printer into the wall and the main switch is in the on position, the printer itself doesn't need to be powered up from the control panel for it to light.
It won't be the power supply fuse as you are getting 5V at the control panel, but the power supply also sends voltages to other boards so you would need to either get the supply tested properly or replace it.

yetzer82

I’ve tested the power supply CN51 and servo board cn1. Getting dc41v on the red wires, nothing on orange and black. Is that right?

netsol

Spend the $13.50 and get a service manual.
If you need board repair, or a KNOEN GOOD BOARD, I have had very good luck with inkjetperformance.com.
Or, go to eBay, see who seem to be the power sellers for Roland boards. Contact seller, ask seller a question. Remember, they don't list their entire inventory, just a few fast movers.

yetzer82

Spend the $13.50 and get a service manual.
If you need board repair, or a KNOEN GOOD BOARD, I have had very good luck with inkjetperformance.com.
Or, go to eBay, see who seem to be the power sellers for Roland boards. Contact seller, ask seller a question. Remember, they don't list their entire inventory, just a few fast movers.
I have a Roland VP-540 service manual provided by a Roland tech. I followed the wiring map and have tested all of the connections, wires, and fuses. They're all testing the correct volts based on the manual. I just cannot find the source of the problem.