• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help for vp 540 boards .. no power

damonCA21

Was it new or used? A lot of the new boards are chinese copies and don't work properly. It is also possible if its used that it has a fault

damonCA21

I have a Roland VP-540 service manual provided by a Roland tech. I followed the wiring map and have tested all of the connections, wires, and fuses. They're all testing the correct volts based on the manual. I just cannot find the source of the problem.
If the voltages are all checking out ok, then is most likely a bad board. If a main chip has gone faulty there isn't really any way to test for that

netsol

I haven't seen a service manual & don't remember that model, but you should have a alway 12v or 24v and a switched 12v or 24v.

Look for the switched voltages on the wiring diagram. See if anything actually happens when you press the power button. You could still have a bad power supply OR a bad main board

I woul consider sending main board (and power supply?) to someone reputable
I can vouch for Ed from inkjetperformance (if he says send it in, there is a high likelihood of success)

See if he has boards & wants to "advance exchange"

SkunkGX

Did anyone find out the solution to this issue. All board leds are on except the servo board ... NB mine is a VP 540i

damonCA21

Did anyone find out the solution to this issue. All board leds are on except the servo board ... NB mine is a VP 540i
If the LED on the print carriage board is lighting, then the power supply should be fine. In that case it is most likely a failed main board. You can get used tested ones on Ebay.
Note Roland havent made them new for years, so any sellers claiming to sell new ones are either a complete scam, or they are selling copies that probably wont work properly !

yetzer82

No:( We tried replacing the servo board, the control panel board, and the main board. When we replaced the main board, the servo board light lit up for a hot minute, the control panel displayed an error code, then the whole thing quit again. Decided to move on from this printer.

netsol

No:( We tried replacing the servo board, the control panel board, and the main board. When we replaced the main board, the servo board light lit up for a hot minute, the control panel displayed an error code, then the whole thing quit again. Decided to move on from this printer.
which would tell me there is a short, which needs to be diagnosed and repaired.
i would assume that you damaged another servo board, or, at a minimum, blew a fuse

i am not at my office and do not recall the details of this particular machine.

PURCHASE A SERVICE MANUAL. this is not a simple problem, which can be diagnosed by best guess, at great distance.

get the service manual and troubleshoot without blowing out expensive boards.

in simplest terms you have an always 5v source, probably a switched 5v. and always 12 (i would guess) a switched 12 & a 41v
we need to see what is shorted, or has an abnormal load.

i will review the rest of this thread, later tonight & will hopefully have something useful to contribute later in the day

damonCA21

which would tell me there is a short, which needs to be diagnosed and repaired.
i would assume that you damaged another servo board, or, at a minimum, blew a fuse

i am not at my office and do not recall the details of this particular machine.

PURCHASE A SERVICE MANUAL. this is not a simple problem, which can be diagnosed by best guess, at great distance.

get the service manual and troubleshoot without blowing out expensive boards.

in simplest terms you have an always 5v source, probably a switched 5v. and always 12 (i would guess) a switched 12 & a 41v
we need to see what is shorted, or has an abnormal load.

i will review the rest of this thread, later tonight & will hopefully have something useful to contribute later in the day
My guess would be the 42V part of the supply as this connects directly to the servo board and through to the main board

SkunkGX

If the LED on the print carriage board is lighting, then the power supply should be fine. In that case it is most likely a failed main board. You can get used tested ones on Ebay.
Note Roland havent made them new for years, so any sellers claiming to sell new ones are either a complete scam, or they are selling copies that probably wont work properly !
I agree because I have sp540v and I realised I removed the connection from servo to the main board one by one only to understand that servo board is required for the all the other boards to be lit up. I'm gonna run some test with the main board with the help of the service manual to see if there is damaged capacitors or fuses especially i see signs of previous replacement/ uprgrades of those on this main. NB I BOUGHT THIS PRINTER WITH THIS ISSUE