• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help from the sublimation guys

jdwilliams1

I am expanding into sublimation and I have a few questions

1.We currently have two mimaki jf1631 flatbed and print on aluminum blanks with white enamel and it works great. Can I use the same blanks for sublimation. I am being told the blanks have to a have polyester coating. Do most finished blanks have that or would i have to have a special ink?

2. I have one size of aluminum that is 6x24 and I am looking at the Ricoh GX e 7700n, which I believe can do all the other sizes on that printer but not the 6x24 is that correct. If so could you recommend a printer that might work for the 6 x24 inch size? Desktop or large format? I am looking at the epson larger format. Maybe the 24"...will it do a good job with few service issues I am hearing several service issues with the Epson...is that the desktop or large format?

Our current aluminum blank sizes are 4x18, 6x24, 10x14, 12x18 and license plate
[h=1][/h] also I have to be mobile with this equip. We will be doing shows around the country and I need to be able to use it indoors and outdoors. Maybe in a trailer as well.

Just looking for thoughts from those in the know. I really appreciate it.

Jay

Dakotagrafx

largest I think I can do on the gx7000 is 13x19 - the material to be sublimated to does have to be polyester coated and the coating needs to be very very even for a good print. - special ink and special coated products to print to.

amw

Longtime Members
We use 3 Epson printers and love them, have had no problems. I would recommend using the 24" for what you are doing.

JgS

you will need blanks with a polyester coating. I went with the desktop epson because it can be modified to a ciss. Never tried to print 24" but I have printed 12"x18" before. Also, 2 years with no service issues. Good luck.

jdwilliams1

you will need blanks with a polyester coating. I went with the desktop epson because it can be modified to a ciss. Never tried to print 24" but I have printed 12"x18" before. Also, 2 years with no service issues. Good luck.

Jqs...sorry for my ignorance but what is a ciss?

Last edited:

jdwilliams1

Hi Marsha and Tony, what Epson would you recommend and what ones do you have? Are they large format and I guess not clogging heads?

sorry for so many questions.

jdwilliams1

I hear you say polyester coating but what is that and who sells the aluminum blanks that way. Ours would need rounded corners and holes punched. We use baked enamel aluminum blanks that are white gloss

WildWestDesigns

It doesn't actually have to be a poly based coating, but it does need to be synthetic, poly is just the most common one thought of.

Desktop Epsons do have a nasty history of having flaky print heads, so you do have to be careful with those. Want to keep the desktop Epsons running as much as you can. Ricoh printers can handle not being used as often. I've actually had my small format Epson go out on me, but not the Ricoh. Now the large format Epsons handle things a lot better then their smaller counter parts.

jdwilliams1

It doesn't actually have to be a poly based coating, but it does need to be synthetic, poly is just the most common one thought of.

Desktop Epsons do have a nasty history of having flaky print heads, so you do have to be careful with those. Want to keep the desktop Epsons running as much as you can. Ricoh printers can handle not being used as often. I've actually had my small format Epson go out on me, but not the Ricoh. Now the large format Epsons handle things a lot better then their smaller counter parts.

Hi Wildwest...so by synthetic would my baked enamel blanks I currently use work?

So you think I would be safe with the 24 inch epson printer? I thinking about buying the largest ricoh and the 24 inch epson. are you familiar fi the 24 inch epson actually prints 24 wide?

thanks

WildWestDesigns

Hi Wildwest...so by synthetic would my baked enamel blanks I currently use work?

It's possible, without knowing what it's made of I couldn't say for sure. It does have to be 100% though, if there is a blend, it won't work. Best thing that I could suggest is trying to print a sample of it.

So you think I would be safe with the 24 inch epson printer? I thinking about buying the largest ricoh and the 24 inch epson. are you familiar fi the 24 inch epson actually prints 24 wide?

I haven't had cause to do borderless, but if I remember correctly the 7900 can print borderless at 24".

jdwilliams1

It's possible, without knowing what it's made of I couldn't say for sure. It does have to be 100% though, if there is a blend, it won't work. Best thing that I could suggest is trying to print a sample of it.

Just saw he 7700 goes borderless, do you know of a place I can send my aluminum to get it printed on to see the results?

JgS

Jqs...sorry for my ignorance but what is a ciss?

ciss = Continuous Ink Supply System. It's a nice option to have if youe are printing a lot.

VTG

Jay, are you interested in regular dye-sub or direct-to-substrate dye-sub? Big difference between the two.

VTG

What is this...

That's your regular dye-sub process, which requires the use of dye-sub ink, special transfer paper and a heat press. That's what I thought you were talking about, I just wanted to be sure.

Direct-to-substrate dye-sub requires a special printer with a huge price tag (six figure range).