• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help getting started

keelklan

it cut all the way thru the vinyl but the letters still have a jagged edge. i was wondering if the blade could be too dull maybe?

Vinylman

Keelklan:
You have just learned one of the MANY lessons.
Junk in = Junk out.

You must chose quality fonts to use in your system.
ADVISE: Buy one or two fonts at a time, as you can afford them.
several places to look into for QUALITY fonts for the sign industry.

www.letterheadfonts.com/

www.signdna.com/v2/index.php

www.blambot.com/ At this site they have some neat fonts for funky loose layouts. They are best used for only one or two words in an entire layout. They should NOT be used for entire sign layout.

You NEED to get a copy of Mike Stevens "Mastering Layout" read it, re-read it, and then set down and STUDY IT again. It will give you GREAT insite as well as inspiration by one of the true MASTERS of hand lettering. Mike is long gone, but his legacy remains, and is and has been a mainstay in helping many of the modern day masters of our craft.

Happy reading GrassHopper!

Regards, Bob C.

weaselboogie

You're looking for Vector-based software and you have it. Illustrator is one of the best. You've got a good start if you can get your cutter working corrrectly.

BUT, do your community a huge favor and read some books on design, take some design classes, intern at a sign shop. Box up that cutter til you do at least 2 of the previous. Bad design and cheap products will be the bane of this industry.

Samm

Jake, try to find a sign shop that is willing to let you intern. Learning from someone in the business if huge. Pay close attention to design and layout and keep learning to use the tools in the programs to improve your design. I have a high schooler that works with me one day a week. Wish I had her more. She started airbrushing events with me and my crew last summer. This last week when she finished the project I had for her, I sat her down at my laptop with a training DVD and said "Learn some new stuff" If you learn to use design software, you could be an asset to an established shop and they in turn will teach you production and application. Good luck to you Jake.

Amen to that!

Welcome Jake!